Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you be more likely to start a company of your own?
Cities in Georgia 6 17.65%
Cities in Tennessee 2 5.88%
Cities in North Carolina 3 8.82%
Cities in Texas 22 64.71%
Cities in Florida 1 2.94%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 04:19 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times

Advertisements

I'm actually surprised this topic is rarely ever touched upon on here as it seems more significant in today's time than it ever had been before in the past.

I'm going to give a list of cities (states) and I want you to pick which one you would most probably choose if it came down to opening up a company/business of your own and give reasons why you picked it.

I'm going to bunch all the Texas cities together on the poll, they're all practically the same when it comes to regulations and business environment.

List of Cities:

- Atlanta
- Raleigh
- Jacksonville
- Texas Cities: Houston & Dallas (they are the same in this regard so I bunched the two together- saves time this way)
- Charlotte
- Nashville
- Phoenix

I didn't put Charlotte and Raleigh together because I've seen one booming at a faster pace than the other, and one of them has done a better job weathering the economy than the other.

Yeah I know, I left a lot of sunbelt cities out, and I did so because I wanted too. I'm going to ask everyone to stick to ONLY the cities in my list and not add anything new in. If you feel there should be a city added, then please make your own thread simple as that.

If you were to take advantage of an opportunity of starting your own company/any kind of business, where would you do it (from the cities on the list)? And give a reason supporting why you picked the place. Keep in mind, state taxes, unemployment rates, cities known internationally for certain fields, state regulations, government involvement, etc... and type of company should be considered when making a decision, this thread is NOT about a popularity contest... so keep that out of here.

Last edited by DANNYY; 07-16-2010 at 04:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 04:21 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Insert any Texas city.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:22 PM

Oh shoot, I forgot "Cities in Arizona" on the poll, could a mod possibly add it in? Please & Thank You!

Old 07-16-2010, 05:38 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Having the option of doing it in CA or IL for tax purposes on a small business under 10 employees me and my partners did it in IL, Cook County but outside city of Chicago. Was cheaper for DBA/filings/etc and less taxes/red tape as far as paperwork/press releases/bank accounts etc go. The other states are not an option b/c none of us live there. It went from most restrictive to least, state of CA > Chicago > Cook County. Depending on type of business could definitely look into NH/CT/SD also. The other states wouldn't make sense b/c the type of stuff we do, other companies in Chicagoland and Bay Area are primary clients and don't really need to pull clients outside those areas for revenue streams. If were to grow bigger, would actually lose the niche we are targeting and turn into a jack of all trades/commodity type service requiring more employees and more overhead. Do not want to do that.

Last edited by grapico; 07-16-2010 at 05:47 PM..

Old 07-16-2010, 05:39 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,922,535 times
Dallas or Austin

Old 07-16-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Having the option of doing it in CA or IL for tax purposes me and my partners did it in IL, Cook County but outside city of Chicago.
You would have been taxed out in California to the max. Nice decision between the two though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Dallas or Austin
Basically you mean Texas.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:47 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,922,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
You would have been taxed out in California to the max. Nice decision between the two though.

Basically you mean Texas.
I voted for "Texas cities", yes, but Austin and Dallas are the only places in Texas I would live.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
I voted for "Texas cities", yes, but Austin and Dallas are the only places in Texas I would live.
They are alright places. I like Dallas too, like Houston, it's pretty international when it comes to people and food options. Big city with lots of things about it. Houston needs to get a freakin NHL team though...

I liked that more. But to each his own. Austin is a cool place if it appeals to you for various reasons.

But I'm reminding everyone here, this is not a "where would you live" thread. There are plenty of threads already about that, LOL. This is about what was written in the original post. That is why I bunched every Texas city together... we're talking about economics more so than what city appeals for what ever the reason might be. lol

Lol, I'm just trying to keep my thread intact for the first few pages at least.

Anyone got anything to say about Raleigh?

Last edited by DANNYY; 07-16-2010 at 06:19 PM..

Old 07-16-2010, 07:29 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
They are alright places. I like Dallas too, like Houston, it's pretty international when it comes to people and food options. Big city with lots of things about it. Houston needs to get a freakin NHL team though...

I liked that more. But to each his own. Austin is a cool place if it appeals to you for various reasons.

But I'm reminding everyone here, this is not a "where would you live" thread. There are plenty of threads already about that, LOL. This is about what was written in the original post. That is why I bunched every Texas city together... we're talking about economics more so than what city appeals for what ever the reason might be. lol

Lol, I'm just trying to keep my thread intact for the first few pages at least.

Anyone got anything to say about Raleigh?
Raleigh didn't impress me when I visited. I like Charlotte better.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:32 PM

996 posts, read 1,897,450 times
Cities in Texas, more people, more cities. More of a target market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City