Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: San Diego vs Miami.
San Diego - Americas Finest City 142 60.94%
Miami - Gateway to the Americas 91 39.06%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 10:26 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,186,106 times

Advertisements

Seriously, all of Florida is misunderstood. I spend so much time in Florida and really haven't had anything to complain about YET. And I'm going on my 3rd year now, yet you have people on this site that complain about Florida everyday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 10:30 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,047,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
Seriously, all of Florida is misunderstood. I spend so much time in Florida and really haven't had anything to complain about YET. And I'm going on my 3rd year now, yet you have people on this site that complain about Florida everyday.
People literally do that with every place. It is either an inferiority complex, jealousy, or the fact that they are to dumb to be open minded.

I have don't like the sports in Dallas, (those dang Cowboys!) but I like the city, some people would hate a city because theirs lost in some championship game 30 years ago. Some of the reasons you see are the most pointless ones.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:32 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times
I'm gonna go with San Diego on this one simply because of the weather. Miami is just as humid if not more so than any other city in the South.

The only down fall to San Diego is that its located in...well...California.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:46 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,186,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
People literally do that with every place. It is either an inferiority complex, jealousy, or the fact that they are to dumb to be open minded.

I have don't like the sports in Dallas, (those dang Cowboys!) but I like the city, some people would hate a city because theirs lost in some championship game 30 years ago. Some of the reasons you see are the most pointless ones.
True, very true.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:12 AM

447 posts, read 1,564,424 times
- nightlife-Miami
- waterfront-Miami
- famous landmarks-Neither have much but San Diego
- things to do-San Diego
- cuisine-Miami
- culture-Miami
- global influence-Miami
- beaches-Miami
- surf-San Diego
- shopping-Miami.

I voted for Miami.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:52 AM

But in all seriousness, Outside of the main areas Miami is a 3rd world city that compares more to the Caribbean than America.
Most of the people are even from the Caribbean! But its so run-down and sh*tty its not even funny.
San Diego is a great place to raise a family,while Miami offers more for singles who like to party.
The beaches arent that great in SD. The water is to cold IMO. Miami isnt that bad in regards to crime, and while it isnt good either, it still is better than most major cities. But San Diego has almost no crime and is probably the safest large city in America. The public schools in SD are MUCH better than the ones in Miami. The city of Miami is governed poorly. I also think that Miami is much more urban IMO. While the city is only 35 sq miles it has several cities surrounding it Like Kendall,Hialeah,Brownsville,Fort Lauterdale,Ect. which are very urban for a suburb. San Diego is a more sprawled out city and is more suburban. However, SD is close to Los Angeles and Tijuana which ,make for a great location. Miami is only close to Orlando which is a pretty small city with not much to do. So in my conclusion they are both great cities in my opinion.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:12 PM

I still voted for Miami

Old 07-24-2010, 01:34 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,943,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycistheplace2 View Post
But in all seriousness, Outside of the main areas Miami is a 3rd world city that compares more to the Caribbean than America.
Most of the people are even from the Caribbean! But its so run-down and sh*tty its not even funny.
San Diego is a great place to raise a family,while Miami offers more for singles who like to party.
The beaches arent that great in SD. The water is to cold IMO. Miami isnt that bad in regards to crime, and while it isnt good either, it still is better than most major cities. But San Diego has almost no crime and is probably the safest large city in America. The public schools in SD are MUCH better than the ones in Miami. The city of Miami is governed poorly. I also think that Miami is much more urban IMO. While the city is only 35 sq miles it has several cities surrounding it Like Kendall,Hialeah,Brownsville,Fort Lauterdale,Ect. which are very urban for a suburb. San Diego is a more sprawled out city and is more suburban. However, SD is close to Los Angeles and Tijuana which ,make for a great location. Miami is only close to Orlando which is a pretty small city with not much to do. So in my conclusion they are both great cities in my opinion.
It does have much to do, and Miami's close to Tampa also. And Miami's close to the Caribbean, just like San Diego to Tijuana.

Old 07-24-2010, 01:42 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,943,753 times
Miami is so much geographically smaller than cities like San Diego, Houston, LA, heck even NYC. So it pretty much has all the bad areas tightly knit in a tiny 35sq mile space. Miami is surrounded by upper-middle class cities, but there not IN Miami city-limits, so all the bad areas skew Miami as a 3rd world city. If Miami were San Diego's size, it would include areas like North Miami Beach, Miami Beach, North Miami, Coral Gables, Hialeah, and it's appearance would be waaaaaaaay more balanced than it is now. People talk about how run down the city is, but there ARE surrounding cities that are nice, and upper middle class. People talk about how snobby people on South Beach are, well drive North to Fort Lauderdale Beach, it's alot more middle-class, and has PLENTY of more down to earth people, and a waaay more laid-back vibe. There are probably more than 40 beaches in South Florida that don't have the same vibe as South Beach, and are for the middle-class laid back crowd. One would have to be delusional, or in denial and have an ULTIMATE grudge against South Florida to ignore places like Fort Lauderdale Beach, Hollywood Beach, Boynton Beach, Pompano Beach, and other laid-back areas.

Old 07-24-2010, 02:08 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,706,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycistheplace2 View Post
I wondered why they always ask me "Isn't the water cold?" when I go to SD..
My friends from SD I stay with never go in the water because it's 'too cold'.
I'm from Minnesota baby, I swim in Lake Superior, 40 degrees, on a daily basis...
This water in San Diego is like bathwater!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City