Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The City that Matters the Most
Birmingham has a Greater Impact and Influence on the U.S 16 21.05%
Memphis has a Greater Impact and Influence on the U.S 54 71.05%
I'm Lazy, I don't feel like Voting today 6 7.89%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2020, 09:57 AM

2,446 posts, read 2,229,983 times

Advertisements

hard to say who wins the "influence" battle, but i think most of us can admit that memphis probably has more name recognition around the country (and the world).

i've often said that these two cities are extremely comparable in many ways (metro population / skyline / demographics / civil rights history).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2020, 10:07 AM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
They are virtual twins. The development going on in both cities is a great thing to see. Both cities have become viable alternatives to more expensive cities. Memphis is likely more influential when you consider its strong musical history. That and its food has a gravitating effect on anyone that visits.

Old 01-21-2020, 10:13 AM

2,446 posts, read 2,229,983 times
true. don't count out birmingham on the food front, though.

birmingham does lack a "beale street" type of attraction for tourists. nightlife here is a little more unconcentrated. and you're right about music... memphis has a much stronger history there.

and of course pro sports, which we may never see in this state as long as college football is king.

Old 01-21-2020, 10:25 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,474,822 times
Memphis easily

Old 01-21-2020, 10:34 AM

1,729 posts, read 1,889,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
call me a homer, but i think birmingham wins the skyline battle. it's slightly taller and has more to it than just the CBD. in fact, i think UAB / Southside alone probably has the 3rd or 4th best skyline in the state (not saying much, i know). Two 17-story "towers" are under construction in this area in fact.

where memphis has a river, birmingham has scenic hills.

very similar all in all though.
Yeah.... But Birmingham doesn't have a freakin Pyramid in it's skyline, lol

It does have a very nice natural setting though

Last edited by BlueRedTide; 01-21-2020 at 10:47 AM..

Old 01-21-2020, 10:35 AM

1,729 posts, read 1,889,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
Kudos on The East Memphis Skyline Shot!....Those not familiar with Memphis are probably unaware that it's even there.. Wish You would have included the Black Shiny Memphis Hilton Hotel Tower in the shot,. Kind of reminds me of the Westin Peachtree Tower in Atlanta ( also a Big Black Shiny Tower)
The East Memphis Skyline is rarely mentioned on this site

Old 01-21-2020, 10:43 AM

10,055 posts, read 14,425,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
call me a homer, but i think birmingham wins the skyline battle. it's slightly taller and has more to it than just the CBD. in fact, i think UAB / Southside alone probably has the 3rd or 4th best skyline in the state (not saying much, i know). Two 17-story "towers" are under construction in this area in fact.

where memphis has a river, birmingham has scenic hills.

very similar all in all though.
Birmingham does have a nice skyline, I'll admit. I do like it with the rolling hills in the background. They need 2 or 3, 400-500 foot newer towers though I think, and that would catapult it ahead of Memphis officially.

One reason Memphis' skyline is so dynamic and dramatic is the land is mostly flat surrounding Memphis, and the skyline looms very large. The pyramid is phenomenal, as are the bridges. The skyscraper stock in the city pre 1960s is nice and the density downtown feels like you should be in a bigger city, on the street level.

As mentioned in a previous post, Memphis has some good high rise development happening and proposed for downtown. The next 3-5 years are going to see the most high rise new development activity in downtown Memphis in 50 + years....best things are ahead.

Old 01-21-2020, 10:46 AM

10,055 posts, read 14,425,999 times
Quote:
Yeah.... But Birmingham doesn't have a freakin PYRAMID in it's skyline lol
LOL so true.

That pyramid is pretty mesmerizing. It caps the north end of the skyline off so nicely.

The Memphis skyline is super well-balanced, and the new high rises going up will balance it even more. The new Loews Hotel tower will rise on a plaza downtown and fill in a gap just north of 100 north main and the next 15 story building to the north. The Pinch District high rises will add much needed density there, and One Beale, although rising only about 10 stories in the first phase, will add some riverfront high rises not there now.

Super nice balance overall.

Old 01-21-2020, 10:49 AM

329 posts, read 635,728 times
Quote:
Kudos on The East Memphis Skyline Shot!....Those not familiar with Memphis are probably unaware that it's even there.. Wish You would have included the Black Shiny Memphis Hilton Hotel Tower in the shot,. Kind of reminds me of the Westin Peachtree Tower in Atlanta ( also a Big Black Shiny Tower)
I know right, would of been a better shot. Here's a few photos with it barely in the shots. (Gotta have good eyes to catch it) Surprised hardly anyone tried to capture a photo with it included with the White Station towers.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/588142032558811680/

https://www.agefotostock.com/age/en/...SB-4017-2139/1

On a side note: Bham and Memphis are overdue for new prominent towers in their cores. I want to see something in both before 2030. Also I wouldn't mind another scrapper in East Memphis near the towers. Somethings planning at the old Racket Club that was bought out behind the buildings.

The tree density is also underrated in Memphis, beautiful in spring and fall.

Last edited by TheKernel91; 01-21-2020 at 11:00 AM..

Old 01-21-2020, 10:51 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,164,659 times
Quote:
Yeah.... But Birmingham doesn't have a freakin Pyramid in it's skyline, lol

It does have a very nice natural setting though
Yeah, but Memphis doesn't have the world largest bottomless cast iron statue in the world, either decking it skyline...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City