Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The City that Matters the Most
Birmingham has a Greater Impact and Influence on the U.S 16 21.05%
Memphis has a Greater Impact and Influence on the U.S 54 71.05%
I'm Lazy, I don't feel like Voting today 6 7.89%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2020, 08:00 AM

5,000 posts, read 9,147,545 times

Advertisements

Birmingham's skyline and topography is better as far as cultural influence a slight edge to Memphis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2020, 02:27 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKernel91 View Post
This proposal was before he bought that land in the Pinch. From my understanding this was around the time St.Jude announced it'll invest a little over a billion in the Pinch around 2015/2016. The new proposal with the taller structures is the New York developer's purchased land and idea.

Im not sure what land St. Jude owns vs Tom Intrator's (NYC developer) , but will wait to see what is actually built.
Pinch looks very similar to River North development. I hope it gets built. Will give Memphis the edge.

Old 01-22-2020, 11:52 PM

329 posts, read 635,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Pinch looks very similar to River North development. I hope it gets built. Will give Memphis the edge.
I do see the similarities in both projects, even though River North is bigger in scale. Just north of the Pinch district is another district being redeveloped called the Snuff. The combine of the Snuff and Pinch district projects is probably similar size as the River North.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wmc...outputType=amp

Pics: https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/...-proposed.html

Old 01-23-2020, 01:16 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,583,688 times
Though I would prefer to live in Birmingham, no question Memphis is/ was more influential. FedEx pioneered overnight delivery, after all. Can you imagine the US music scene without Elvis or the other singers who recorded in Memphis? Before that it was the cotton trade and inland commerce.

Old 01-25-2020, 06:31 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,373,010 times
I prefer Memphis

Old 01-25-2020, 07:40 PM

3,883 posts, read 2,194,795 times
Out of curiosity which city is safer?

Old 01-25-2020, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKernel91 View Post
I do see the similarities in both projects, even though River North is bigger in scale. Just north of the Pinch district is another district being redeveloped called the Snuff. The combine of the Snuff and Pinch district projects is probably similar size as the River North.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wmc...outputType=amp

Pics: https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/...-proposed.html
It will be interesting to see what type of retail goes in Pinch. Snuff reminds me of the Werthan Lofts area (Germantown). The renderings look great!

Old 01-25-2020, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Out of curiosity which city is safer?
Birmingham is statistically safer. Both have crime issues. Birmingham has some really pretty suburbs. Birmingham has great shopping as well. It will be interesting to see how the new I-22 area develops.

Old 08-08-2022, 12:37 AM

577 posts, read 561,578 times
In downtown Memphis, two cool new hotels have been built, Hyatt Caption and Hyatt Centric, which sit between the Beale Street/ South Main/ Orpheum neighborhood and the newly designed riverfront park that is currently under redevelopment.

I have to say there is something neat about how this district has come together. To me it's a genuine urban neighborhood that feels like it could be a tiny splice of say outer London, i.e. somewhere with a gritty but newly hip warehouse district turned into urban neighborhood with modern boutique hotels and apartments, galleries, and a manicured riverfront setting.

When they finish this park redevelopment and the new parking garage going up where these hotels and Beale Street are, to me I think downtown Memphis will have turned the corner for good, transitioning from "gritty but having character and potential" to "hip and vibrant".

It seems that this one spot, (now filled with new hotels and a new garage was previously a big surface parking lot right in the very spot where the city's main attractions all come together), has tied together the downtown in a subtle way that to me just clicks everything into place. It's a nexus between the Peabody/Redbirds stadium; Main Street pedestrian mall; South Main/ South Front street district; Beale Street; and Riverfront park. I must say I'm rather amazed.

The other subtle advance in the Memphis area is the rise of DeSoto County, Mississippi. It seems to have crossed an invisible line going from "middle class and safe but slightly bland" to "newly upper middle class and beginning to add cultural venues". The area is pretty rolling hills and trees, lots of space, has the cute Hernando town square and connection to the Delta. DeSoto is a nice companion to the Germantown/ Collierville area which is largely filled out and far less spacious.

Old 08-08-2022, 07:07 AM

472 posts, read 346,532 times
Architecture - Memphis
Development - Tie
Economy - Tie, maybe slightly in Memphis' favor, but tie, I think.
Education - Memphis
Entertainment - Memphis
Family life - Tie
Healthcare - Tie, UT health, Bama, St. Jude etc., I think both have strong healthcare scenes for their size, maybe slight lead to Memphis.
Shopping - No clue. I'll say tie.
Transportation - Memphis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City