Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The City that Matters the Most
Birmingham has a Greater Impact and Influence on the U.S 16 21.05%
Memphis has a Greater Impact and Influence on the U.S 54 71.05%
I'm Lazy, I don't feel like Voting today 6 7.89%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 02:31 PM

469 posts, read 969,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanbrown39 View Post
I've lived in both and I definately say Birmingham. The black people don't have the attitude and are much more easy going and the terrain, closeness to the beach and the beautiful micro cities around Birminnham make it a heads up. Memphis has seen it's hayday and the crime is out of control completely. I am a crime statistician. I've lived in Memphis for 30 years and am moving back to Birmingham. Race tensions are much worse here. I believe the MLK assisination played a role in that since it was Memphis where MLK was assiniated.
I'm surprised you would refer to an ethnic group in such a manner, 80's- er
stanbrown39! Of course I respect your genuine opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 03:52 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,515,028 times
Memphis

Old 07-19-2011, 03:55 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,708,434 times
BHAM.........Mem is just as nasty as it can possibly be.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:30 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,742,367 times
^ what parts of Memphis did you visit?

Old 07-20-2011, 08:08 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,708,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
^ what parts of Memphis did you visit?
I know Memphis like the back of my hand, it does have some redeeming areas, but the majority of it is tired, worn out, ghetto, country, it is literally the northern part of Mississippi. Enough said....................And furthermore, I love TN especially from mid TN to the East, If any state could be divided it should be TN, West Tennessee, and East Tennessee.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:27 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,742,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
I know Memphis like the back of my hand, it does have some redeeming areas, but the majority of it is tired, worn out, ghetto, country, it is literally the northern part of Mississippi. Enough said....................And furthermore, I love TN especially from mid TN to the East, If any state could be divided it should be TN, West Tennessee, and East Tennessee.
if you know Memphis like the back of your hand then which areas did you go to?

Old 07-22-2011, 08:39 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Memphis. Good music, good barbecue, lots of character and history.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:48 AM

469 posts, read 969,947 times
Education - TIE. Both strugle w/inner city schools. UofM & UAB are comparable. UAB Medical & U.T. Memphis are comparable. Rhodes and Samford are recognized.

Housing - Edge to MEMPHIS which has Dtwn homes and Midtown homes with unique character and river view or heavily forrested properties and eastern suburbs & B.R. towns w/great amenities & style.

Nightlife - Clearly Memphis

Jobs - TIE

Sports - MEMPHIS. NBA w/ state of the art arena, AAA Baseball w/ state of the art park situated right in the Downtown center, comparable college opportunities, but UofM plays its b'ball in FedEx Forum. UT f'ball fans see their team locally every other year in the Liberty Bowl Stadium as well as Oxford or Nashville short drives away. TN's NFL is only two hours away in Nashville.

Transportation - MEMPHIS. More recognized airport w/major appearance change and multi modal access hub under construction. International flights. Non stop to Europe. Local vintage trolley system Downtown & Med. Ctr. needs to expand. Local car traffic patterns are not very congested. Largest air freight volume in U.S. connecting totally worldwide, overnight. Convergence of central rail, barge and air hubs to form major distribution nerve center.

Infrastructure - TIE. Somewhat insufficient for modern needs in both cities.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:11 AM

518 posts, read 448,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REPBOY View Post
Education - TIE. Both strugle w/inner city schools. UofM & UAB are comparable. UAB Medical & U.T. Memphis are comparable. Rhodes and Samford are recognized.

Couldn't disagree any more if I tried. UAB Medical is MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH (is that enough emphasis...LOL) more prestigious than U.T. Memphis medical. I otherwise agree with the rest of your comment.

Housing - Edge to MEMPHIS which has Dtwn homes and Midtown homes with unique character and river view or heavily forrested properties and eastern suburbs & B.R. towns w/great amenities & style.

I'd say this is a TIE overall. I actually think Bham's urban/suburban neighborhoods are prettier (much prettier scenery) while the homes themselves are equally impressive in each city.

Nightlife - Clearly Memphis

Totally agree.

Jobs - TIE

Agree

Sports - MEMPHIS. NBA w/ state of the art arena, AAA Baseball w/ state of the art park situated right in the Downtown center, comparable college opportunities, but UofM plays its b'ball in FedEx Forum. UT f'ball fans see their team locally every other year in the Liberty Bowl Stadium as well as Oxford or Nashville short drives away. TN's NFL is only two hours away in Nashville.

Edge to Memphis but ONLY because of the Fed Ex Forum (which is SWEET btw). As bad as Legion Field in Bham is, it's no worse than Liberty Bowl stadium. Bham is actually closer to Nashville than Memphis is and is even closer to Atlanta than Memphis is to Nashville. Alabama and Auburn are actually closer to Bham than any two major colleges are to Memphis so everything you mentioned apart from Fed Ex Forum actually favors Bham. A wildcard in this is that I find that the Bham area has much better golf courses than the Memphis area.

Transportation - MEMPHIS. More recognized airport w/major appearance change and multi modal access hub under construction. International flights. Non stop to Europe. Local vintage trolley system Downtown & Med. Ctr. needs to expand. Local car traffic patterns are not very congested. Largest air freight volume in U.S. connecting totally worldwide, overnight. Convergence of central rail, barge and air hubs to form major distribution nerve center.

Definitely agree.

Infrastructure - TIE. Somewhat insufficient for modern needs in both cities.
Agree

Old 07-25-2011, 02:58 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,215,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundRoundGetAround View Post
No, I'm not some bad-mouthing hater who doesn't have anything nice to say. Please don't think that. There are many places down South I would very much like to live. And I very much enjoy where I live now. I don't have to lock my car doors or hide my valuable under the seat when I park my car somewhere. It's a luxury I didn't know Americans could still enjoy...and I enjoy it big time. I also wasn't aware of how much racial tension thrives is large southern cities until I experienced the Mid-West.
But I'll try to throw in some more positives in my future posts, just so I don't seem like some kind of negative Ned.
The midwest has less diversity than the South, that's why it has less racial tension. However, racial tension in various locales in the midwest, in which there is greater diversity, yields the same as the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City