Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 04:12 PM

47 posts, read 145,341 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. This is my first post. I'm in my late 40's, single, and have Rheumatoid Arthritis that is currently under control (somewhat) with the use of very hard-hitting chemotherapy. I currently live in Redondo Beach, near LA, and have been having trouble with the cool, damp weather here (June Gloom) 2 blocks from the ocean. I'm really looking for ways to help my RA so that I won't need those toxic medicines.

I'm thinking it might be best for me to move to a warmer, drier climate, but I'm open to all suggestions. Although my primary reason for moving is my health, I would also like it to be a place that fits my personality and lifestyle. I live a very "young" lifestyle, since I have no kids, so I would not like an area that's too family-oriented. I like going out to listen to live rock, blues and funk music, riding my bike on trails or paths away from car traffic, hiking, going out to eat as well as having BBQ's with friends. I also like to swim, but the Pacific is too cold to swim in with my joint pains. I teach Pilates and other exercise for a living, so being in an area that appreciates fitness is essential. A lower cost of living is also important, since it's gotten so expensive to live here.

I'm originally from Chicago and love it, but the weather there is too cold and damp for me. Ditto for San Francisco and Portland OR.

Can anyone recommend places for me to consider? I've started researching Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Hawaii and the drier parts of California. I'm concerned that Denver and Santa Fe are at too high elevation and would be too cold in the winter for me, but I'm not sure.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 04:41 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,923,245 times
What about just moving east by 20 or 30 miles?

Old 07-18-2010, 04:46 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,175,796 times
^ that's what I was thinking also!

Old 07-18-2010, 05:09 PM

139 posts, read 207,819 times
Funny, I moved to the California coast for the climate and the access to the culture of West L.A. By all means move inland and you will get away from the damp weather in the South Bay. The question next should be: How will moving house alter your commute?

Old 07-18-2010, 06:05 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,880,875 times
You know Hawaii houses Leprocy (sp?) patients precisely because the weather is so easy on the body.....maybe Hawaii is a better option. When I originally saw this post I had just assumed you were from a cold climate and my first response would have been CA, but I guess that's not working for you. Did you consult your physician about this idea? They may know what is best for RA patients.

Old 07-18-2010, 06:21 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,060,777 times
Oklahoma City
Tulsa
Dallas
Tucson
Scottsdale
El Paso
Denver

I wish I could convince my mom to move, she's got RA and living in Florida is terrible for her but she won't leave.

Old 07-18-2010, 06:21 PM

Thanks for your quick responses. To answer a few questions -- I wouldn't want to live 20-30 miles inland because the air quality is so bad. I live this close to the ocean for the consistent westerly breezes that bring in fresh air. Sometimes when I travel inland (even just to Dodger Stadium!) my sinuses will get completely clogged, my eyes are red, itchy and watery, and I sneeze over and over.

If I moved, even if it was only 20-30 miles, I would have to change jobs, so that's not a huge deal either way.

I went to New Mexico last year and loved beauty of the high desert, especially Santa Fe. I'd move there in a heartbeat... the only negative thing is that I looked into the effects of high elevations, and because of the thinner air, it's the equivalent low air pressure of an approaching storm! SF is 7000 feet! So I'm concerned that now I feel a certain amount of pain at sea level with damp, cool air, but I would feel about the same amount at a high elevation with dry air! Call it a draw??!

I'm thinking about the Scottsdale area because of the low elevation and warm, dry climate and ability to swim in a pool almost every day. But I'm concerned that too much air conditioning would be just as bad as cold temperatures. That's another plus for living close to the beach -- the houses here don't even have air conditioners!

Old 07-18-2010, 06:22 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,175,796 times
Just move inland like in SB county or Big Bear area.

Old 07-18-2010, 06:37 PM

Thanks Caliguy19. I will take your suggestions and check into Temecula, Palm springs, Paso Robles, etc.

However, I did live in Oak Park near Thousand Oaks for about 6 months a few years ago... the bad thing was that being that close to the SoBay, I was always driving back for a birthday party or some other event that brought me back to the beach! And then I was leaving the comfort of my own bed to crash on a friend's couch for the night! Neither one of those things were good for arthritis!

Old 07-18-2010, 06:42 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,060,777 times
I dont think you'd have to worry about Air Conditioning. My mom lived in Scottsdale for a long time and loved it though if she moved back she'd go to Tucson. Granted she was younger maybe 30 or so at the time so her RA was not as bad as it is now. Now she has to take this injection once a week for it and its very difficult for her because the thing is expensive I think $2000. Luckily her insurance is very good and paid for by the company she works for, its one of the main reasons she won't move. She works at Costco entirely for the benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City