Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 05:00 AM

2,222 posts, read 3,599,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6wtf6lol6 View Post
I suppose the most down to earth folks are the folks up in Portland, Oregon. They got their diversity, their worldly liberal worldview and their Whole Foods Market. They as down to earth as a city can be.
But- do they look down on the "middle-America types" who don't share their liberal worldview or their taste for whole foods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 10:19 AM

2,106 posts, read 6,628,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
But- do they look down on the "middle-America types" who don't share their liberal worldview or their taste for whole foods?
Yes, it's highly ironic that they look down upon people for not sharing their views.. when apparently their whole culture is about being open minded. I hated people in Portland tbh.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:09 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,916,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The DC area used to be relatively down-to-earth, but that was maybe 25 years ago. Not so much anymore. It has become heavily white-collar, and that seems to have pretty much come to define the region, IMO.
In my lifetime, DC was never a "laid back" city; the suburbs perhaps, but the inhabitants of the city itself didn't have some "come as you are and we'll all get along" personality. It was just more blue collar, but in all of the negative ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBrakeforTailgaters View Post
Of all the major cities I've visited, I would honestly have to say Pittsburgh. People there were just down to earth and more courteous than I'd ever read/been told about cities in the Northeast.

Take my vote with a grain of salt, though, as I have only stepped on Pittsburgh soil four days of my entire life on two different trips. Also, I've only visited 10 states and DC, so I've not seen a lot of the world.
Pittsburgh is very down to earth and is way more Midwestern than Northeastern. The ability to initiate conversations and meet people came so natural for me, something that has been anything but since I've been in DC. What I also appreciate is how most of the people who were blue collar weren't all "narrow-minded" and "trailor trash" about it and how many people who were from slightly more affluent backgrounds weren't stuck up and haughty over their wealth.

Last edited by Do a Barrel Roll; 08-01-2010 at 12:20 PM..

Old 08-01-2010, 12:20 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyanks57 View Post
Kansas City, Oklahoma City, Dallas, Austin, and Houston.
No, I would not say Kansas City at all. Way too much arrogance, snobbery, and pretentiousness- particularly the suburban areas.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:22 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
What exactly would you consider "middle America"? You can find middle America culture in any rural area of the country, be it the South, Interior West, Northeast, etc.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:37 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,599,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
What exactly would you consider "middle America"? You can find middle America culture in any rural area of the country, be it the South, Interior West, Northeast, etc.
It's not as much about who I believe fits this definition, so much as who the aforementioned Portlanders do, hence the quotes.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:33 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
Yes, it's highly ironic that they look down upon people for not sharing their views.. when apparently their whole culture is about being open minded. I hated people in Portland tbh.
It's called "hypocrisy."

Old 08-04-2010, 10:49 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,852,255 times
Coolest people:

New Yorkers- I've found they are rarely arrogant and are also supportive of other cities successes,or at least Pittsburgh( maybe that is b/c we have a kinship with NYC - downtown Pittsburgh looks like a baby Manhattan.)They are very secure with who they are and where they are from-why not? They are top dog and probably will be for a VERY long time.
Phoenix- Nice , earthy cool people.LOVE the CARDS.
Denver- Nice, friendly overall. Some areas are borderline snooty.
Portland, OR. -Very cool people, they make you feel comfortable
Nashville,Tn.-make you feel that their city is your home,too.
San Francisco-Cool, progressive, caring people with a sincere desire to change the world for the better.
Pittsburgh- humble, hardworking people who don't take anything for granted
The South-( in general) are laid back, friendly people.

SNOOTY:
Seattle- And I've heard other people report the same when they went there.
Minneapolis= Nothing but A Seattle wannabe
Washington,DC = Rat Race
I've heard enough times, but I've never spent enough time there so I feel it's fair to put a ?? for Boston

Old 08-04-2010, 10:56 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,169,020 times
San Diego is about as laid back as you can get on the west coast. It isn't fast paced like LA or SF or NYC. We're just chill. We don't care about being the best city. We just enjoy life and continue on with our lives. Most people don't understand that about San Diego. We don't try to be NYC or LA. We are just a laid back city minding our own business enjoying our lives and making the best of them while other cities like SF LA and NYC fight over who is the best city. Really who cares? I noticed that people bash San Diego because they expected it to be like NYC or Chicago. I'm glad it's not. I like the laid back atmosphere. It makes life more enjoyable for me. That's why I love San Diego.

Last edited by BacktoBlue; 08-04-2010 at 11:10 AM..

Old 08-04-2010, 12:47 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,852,255 times
I loved San Fran but I never have been to San Diego nor LA. San Diego sounds like it would be awesome, though. Really, I bet the only city on the West Coast that is snooty would be Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City