Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 12:59 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,870,451 times

Advertisements

You don't think LA or SF are "snooty"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 01:38 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,705,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy19 View Post
San Diego is about as laid back as you can get on the west coast. It isn't fast paced like LA or SF or NYC. We're just chill. We don't care about being the best city. We just enjoy life and continue on with our lives. Most people don't understand that about San Diego. We don't try to be NYC or LA. We are just a laid back city minding our own business enjoying our lives and making the best of them while other cities like SF LA and NYC fight over who is the best city. Really who cares? I noticed that people bash San Diego because they expected it to be like NYC or Chicago. I'm glad it's not. I like the laid back atmosphere. It makes life more enjoyable for me. That's why I love San Diego.
I love San Diego. I have familia there. I go there about 2 times a year for the past 6 years. Each time i stay for about 2 weeks, so I think I can make a comment from experience.

Here's what I've noticed about San Diego: Everyone that lives there is ridiculously nice. People are always pumped to meet you and 'to go do something' even when you just met. It's awesome. And everyone there seems 'cool'. I've yet to meet any creeps or weirdos in San Diego. But, there is still this thing that just irks me about SD. It's that underlying, that subtle smugness... It's hard to explain so I'll do my best... It seems like a lot of the people I've met have this attitude like "Cool, you're from ____, anyways, we're in SD and it's awesome here". It gets to the point where this elitist stuff even comes out when it's comparing things that aren't even comparable... like "The burritos (mind you at some dilapitated stand falling apart) here are the best, they are better than anything in Minnesota".... it's like really dude? Really? A burrito stand 10 miles from the Mexican border is better than any in Minnesota? Really? I wouldn't have guessed that... But, since it's SD and everythign is better here, I'll just take your word.

That's just my 2 cents.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:01 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,169,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
I love San Diego. I have familia there. I go there about 2 times a year for the past 6 years. Each time i stay for about 2 weeks, so I think I can make a comment from experience.

Here's what I've noticed about San Diego: Everyone that lives there is ridiculously nice. People are always pumped to meet you and 'to go do something' even when you just met. It's awesome. And everyone there seems 'cool'. I've yet to meet any creeps or weirdos in San Diego. But, there is still this thing that just irks me about SD. It's that underlying, that subtle smugness... It's hard to explain so I'll do my best... It seems like a lot of the people I've met have this attitude like "Cool, you're from ____, anyways, we're in SD and it's awesome here". It gets to the point where this elitist stuff even comes out when it's comparing things that aren't even comparable... like "The burritos (mind you at some dilapitated stand falling apart) here are the best, they are better than anything in Minnesota".... it's like really dude? Really? A burrito stand 10 miles from the Mexican border is better than any in Minnesota? Really? I wouldn't have guessed that... But, since it's SD and everythign is better here, I'll just take your word.

That's just my 2 cents.
I've never heard anyone say that before. We don't attack other cities unless it's like a sporting event (in good fun) or it's like a battle like threads on here.

The people that act smug in San Diego are mostly all transplants who think that's what you're supposed to say as part of the city. Anyway every city likes to brag but I'm saying out of every west coast city San Diego is the most laid back and could care less about any other city. The 3 other major west coast cities on the other hand are too involved in their image in my opinion.

Old 03-07-2016, 11:26 AM

4 posts, read 4,598 times
Chicago. Industrial city with tons of history. Not about the talk like NYC, and not about the HYPE like L.A. it's the city that works. Although in recent years, it's crime rates have soared, it's still always charming and undying

Old 03-07-2016, 12:56 PM

574 posts, read 688,721 times
Chicago, Philly, NOLA, Houston, twin cities(some of the most down to earth people I've ever met).

Old 03-07-2016, 12:58 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ambitious View Post
Chicago, Philly, NOLA, Houston, twin cities(some of the most down to earth people I've ever met).
By this forum, certainly not NOLA.

Twin Cities are cool, but when I was there, there is certainly a very reserved nature, even coldness to the place in general. Not sure I'd say down to earth.

Philly I agree though.

Old 03-07-2016, 01:41 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
Baltimore is very down to earth.

Old 03-07-2016, 02:27 PM

5 posts, read 7,464 times
Madison, Wisconsin is pretty chill. Love it.

Old 03-07-2016, 02:48 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,735,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post

That's just my 2 cents.
Um...none of that behavior sounds smug to me. Sounds like a bunch of San Diegans happy to be where they are, what's wrong with that? I think it's great if people love where they live and think it's the greatest place in the world. And if they say "gahhh we got the best slices in America!" or "our Mexican food is waayyy better in Cali, even better than friggin Mexico itself", more power to them. Maybe they're right! I say go eat that burrito and find out. Only an insecure person would feel threatened by the behavior you describe.

As for my answer to the thread, can't speak for which city has the most down to earth people, but all Cali cities seem to have laid back, chill people. As a CA native, that's been my experience.

Last edited by Valhallian; 03-07-2016 at 03:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City