Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more important?
Washington, DC 99 67.35%
Los Angeles 48 32.65%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 10:24 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,562,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymon83 View Post
Sorry my post was long, so I broke it up:

Perhaps there can be some consensus between the 2 sides:

1) DC (the city), minus the federal government, is basically a "beta" city, like Bos or Atl and below the "supercities" LA, CHI, NYC.
An MSA of 5-8 million vs. 15-20mil. GWAC basically illustrates that.

2) However, if you are debating DC (the capital) vs. LA. It becomes a whole different animal. Then it becomes Obama vs. Spielberg. GWAC and the others city lists become irrelevant.
I think pretty much everyone would agree on the first and at least the majority (based on the poll) would also agree on the 2nd.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
This is pretty much what I'm saying, and why I think it's pretty much an exercise in futility to attempt to compare DC to any other U.S. city--its role as the nation's capital affords it powers and influence that no other U.S. city can possess, so it's not an apples-to-apples comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 10:31 AM

36,656 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
This is pretty much what I'm saying, and why I think it's pretty much an exercise in futility to attempt to compare DC to any other U.S. city--its role as the nation's capital affords it powers and influence that no other U.S. city can possess, so it's not an apples-to-apples comparison.
I think you guys overstate the importance of DCs role as far as power and influence.

This is why DC doesnt top any rankings of importance or connectivity-because in reality, govt has an important role, but it doesnt have the only important role.

Government's role is more auxiliary to business, not more important than it.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:03 AM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Hard to believe this is still being debated...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I don't know about that one. For much of the history of western civilization, government was the business. Kings owned land, lords rule over serfs, serfs worked the land, kings conquered more lands, stole riches, and then established a new feudal system, or kept the existing one with new overlords. Even with the rise of the mercantilism, it was governments that raised capital for exploration and engaged in protectionism to the benefit of their merchant classes (similar to today). Governments made possible the creation of the first corporations, so how can you possibly say that government is "auxiliary to business." It actually seems to be the other way around.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Hard to believe this is still being debated...
Its even harder to believe that people are trying in vain to ignore virtually every single ranking and index and report and survey that has ever sought to classify cities by importance.

For the most part, DC never beats LA in rankings.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:11 AM

327 posts, read 568,865 times
Quote:
I think you guys overstate the importance of DCs role as far as power and influence.

This is why DC doesnt top any rankings of importance or connectivity-because in reality, govt has an important role, but it doesnt have the only important role.

first of all that 2004 GWAC survey did have D.C. topping the category political/social, so can't understand why you'd say it doesn't top any ranking of importance. D.C. is the capital of the most powerful nation on earth; gotta give it some importance, no?

second, the govt's role is auxilliary to business? Pretty familiar with the Constitution and I don't see anything like that in there.

Consider the govt's power to declare war; to set tax rates; to police the financial markets; to approve the food and drugs we take; to spend literally $1.5 trillion (that's with a "T") each year. What is the entire market cap of the world largest company? maybe 200-300 billion something like that? And when the finacial markets imploded in 2008 due to bad decisions on Wall Street who did they turn to to bail them out?

Last edited by Chasva69; 07-28-2010 at 11:23 AM..

Old 07-28-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasva69 View Post
first of all that 2004 GWAC survey did have D.C. topping the category political/social, so can't understand why you'd say it doesn't top any ranking of importance. D.C. s the capitol of the most powerful nation on earth; gotta give it some importance, no?.
Yes DC is very important. Congrats.

But not more than Los Angeles.

Quote:
second, the govt's role is auxilliary to business? Pretty familiar with the Constitution and I don't see anything like that in there.
You seem to be under the false assumption that government runs business or that govt controls business.

Perhaps in China, but certainly not here.

Quote:
Consider the govt's power to declare war
Congress declares war, not the govt.

And LAs voice is much louder in congress than DCs.

Speaking of which, thank goodness for things like Buzz Lightyear and E.T. and Michael Jackson etc, to temper the world's view of the US. LA humanizes the US to a world that would otherwise hate our guts even more, LA is a much better ambassador of goodwill to the world than DC could ever dream of being.

Quote:
to set tax rates
yes, our money...not yalls.

Quote:
to police the financial markets
Do you really want to talk about how great that's worked out?

Really?

Quote:
to approve the food and drugs we take;
The Bush Administration's refusal to budge on stem cell research showed us that the govt can be a huge hinderance to progress with respect to medical advancements.

Advancements btw, that almost never eminate from DC.

Quote:
to spend literally $1.5 trillion (that's with a "T") each year.
Wells Fargo has $1.5 Trillion in Assets. BofA and Chase and Citigroup have more.

Quote:
What is the entire market cap of the world largest company? maybe 200-300 billion something like that?
The NY Area's F1000 Companies have a combined market value in the Trillions of Dollars.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:52 AM

327 posts, read 568,865 times
Quote:
Yes DC is very important. Congrats.

Congress declares war, not the govt.

The NY Area's F1000 Companies have a combined market value in the Trillions of Dollars.
1) congress is branch of government. It's called the "legislative branch." See Article I of the Constitution.

2) The US govt is the largest landowner in the world. The value of it's assets is incalculable. As is the value of the nuclear weapons stockpile.

All controlled by the government out of Washington D.C.

Thanks for the discussion though. I'll just leave it there.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasva69 View Post
1) congress is branch of government. It's called the "legislative branch." See Article I of the Constitution.
Yes and only Congress can actually declare war.

LA has way more people in Congress in a position to vote on declaring war than DC.

That's not debatable.

Quote:
2) The US govt is the largest landowner in the world.
Exxon, Chevron, ConocoPhillips and Valero(None of whom are DC-based) could cripple the entire country in one foul swoop if they wanted to.

National parks and huge swaths of desert seem totally unimportant by comparison.

Quote:
The value of it's assets is incalculable.
Land values in LA make DC look like a bargain.

Quote:
All controlled by the government out of Washington D.C.
LOL...Yes and LA has more people in a position of real power in DC than DC does.

100% true.

Quote:
Thanks for the discussion though. I'll just leave it there.
Please do.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:11 PM

198 posts, read 653,911 times
Los Angeles has a higher population by leaps and bounds, being there are tons of rich tax payers from Beverly Hills to Orange County they contribute quite a bit to Washington.
Also, LA is a media giant, has a huge shipping port and in many countries, the words "Los Angeles" are more commonly known than "California" but come on.. this is our nation's capitol..
NYC is not even more important than DC.. DC not only controls this country, it controls a handfull of countries aswell..
When I think of DC, see pictures of DC (landmarks, capitol) I feel a sense of pride, Im a big homer to Cali but DC is just a stud economically, I have never been there but it's most def. on my list.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:16 PM

457 posts, read 1,108,857 times

Quote:

This is why DC doesn’t top any rankings of importance or connectivity-
Yes, but the rankings sidestep the issue of government institutions.

It isn't that GWAC scientifically weights the power of being home to Federal Reserve against being home to a fortune 400 company and then concludes that
X is more important than Y.

The rankings just sidestep those tricky issues and instead focus on things that are easier to quantify like advanced producer services. Hence, the "scientific" rankings don't really address the argument that the pro-DC side makes.

It maybe that if you did incorporate these factors, LA would still come out ahead. But, we can’t tell that from the current rankings.

Quote:
because in reality, govt has an important role, but it doesn’t have the only important role.

Government's role is more auxiliary to business, not more important than it
I agree with you that aggregate power outside of government exceeds the power within it. Government is only one force among many. But, the power of business, civil society, individual citizens is highly diffuse and not as concentrated in any one city to the extent that government power is.

Just out of curiosity, I pulled the 2010 fortune 500 company data and looked at our 3 largest states: Fortune 500 2010: States: Texas Companies - FORTUNE on CNNMoney.com

1) California is home to 57 companies with 1.2 trillion in revenues.
2) New York is home to 56 companies with 1.3 trillion in revenues.
3) Texas is home to 57 companies with 1.2 trillion in revenues.

Meaning the 3 largest states are home to "fortune 500 companies" with $3.68 trillion.

The federal government’s spending during this same period .... $3.6 trillion. United States federal budget - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now this by itself doesn’t prove anything. There are a lot of qualifiers there.

But, I think it drives home the point that it is hard to ignore the role of government policy makers in people’s day-to-day lives. Both domestically and around the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City