Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 01:11 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,789,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Good point.
But Boulder is a college town with little over 90K people- Is that a msa stat, or city limits only?
That's Boulder city limits..it's very small so it doesn't compare by raw numbers in any way..only percentage. I know taking the whole msa
DC beats the Denver metro which includes Boulder though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 01:14 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,374,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcee510 View Post
Just because New York has 8 million people doesn't mean it's going to be on the top of every list, for instance New York doesn't even crack the top 20 for most educated cities (people holding college degrees)
I dont have the numbers, but I would bet NYC has more people (raw numbers) holding a college degree than any city in the USA.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:26 PM

151 posts, read 299,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I do not understand your logic at all. It is not as if in the city that people randomly walk around and "bump" into certain people like molecules or balls on a pool table. They work at certain employers, they are in certain social groups, they are in certain high income neighborhoods, etc. Cities are highly organized society, and "running into someone" is not based on any random # generator set as a percentage of an arbitrary city limit, and small or large population data that it is gathered from.
Especially in really huge cities like NYC or London. These cities will lose nearly everything if we go by % due to their humongous sizes and diverse makeups. Edmond, Oklahoma has a higher percentage of billionaires than London on paper. LOL.

In Manhattan, 58% of its residents have college degrees. And I'm sure its significantly higher once you drop off the ghettos on the north end of the island. Even with the the Northern End (Washington Heights, Inwood, Harlem), Manhattan still has the highest per capita income and highest tax bracket in the United States, astonishing for a completely urban and diverse area of 1.5M residents. That alone speaks of its high achieving populace.

Someone looking for an educated population wouldn't settle down in South Bronx, for instance. High education, or high earning people tend to congregate in certain areas and move in similar circles. People don't aimlessly roam around the 300+ square miles of their huge cities... they find their niche or their places or rather the city's favored corridors.

And most college degrees are worthless. All degrees aren't created equal. For instance, Boulder - economic wasteland, St. Paul - economic wasteland, [add in the rest of the irrelevant provincial cities that are allegedly "smartest"]. I highly doubt you'd find many Harvard/Yale/Princeton/Stanford graduates in Seattle or Boulder. But rather Manhattan first and foremost, then DC, Boston, SF.

To answer the question: New York, Boston, DC, SF and perhaps Chicago.

Last edited by Yankee.; 07-22-2010 at 02:15 PM..

Old 07-22-2010, 01:37 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,391,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee. View Post
Especially in really huge cities like NYC and LA.

In Manhattan, 58% of its residents have college degrees. And I'm sure its significantly higher once you drop off the ghettos on the north end of the island.

Someone looking for educated population wouldn't settle down in South Bronx, for instance. High education, or high earning people tend to congregate in certain areas and move in similar circles. People don't aimlessly roam around the 300+ square miles of their huge cities, they find their niche.

And most college degrees are worthless, I highly doubt you'd find many Harvard/Yale/Princeton/Stanford graduates in Seattle or Boulder. But rather Manhattan first and foremost, then DC, Boston, SF.
Ahh, somebody else who sees the light... comparing these small areas like Boulder and Raleigh or insert small, liberal, white city to New York or other major highly educative, albeit diverse with lots of income level metros is just naive and a way for them to give themselves a pat on the back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Source? I didn't know that the US Census Bureau begun keeping track of who has a Bachelor's Degree BY RACE in each CSA. Or at least your methodology of how you got these numbers.
I would assume he is just using relational data from the census #'s, i.e. sort by white > limit by # of bachelor degree holders in that data set.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:45 PM

And most college degrees are worthless, I highly doubt you'd find many Harvard/Yale/Princeton/Stanford graduates in Seattle or Boulder. But rather New York first and foremost, then DC, Boston, SF.[/quote]

In the case of Boulder you would be dead wrong..

Old 07-22-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
I'm never wrong.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee. View Post
I'm never wrong.
You just proved my point

Old 07-22-2010, 02:13 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,391,021 times
Quote:
And most college degrees are worthless, I highly doubt you'd find many Harvard/Yale/Princeton/Stanford graduates in Seattle or Boulder. But rather New York first and foremost, then DC, Boston, SF.
In the case of Boulder you would be dead wrong..[/quote]

any facts/stats/links to back this up? again Boulder only amounts to 90k people, which is like a neighborhood in other cities.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
any facts/stats/links to back this up? again Boulder only amounts to 90k people, which is like a neighborhood in other cities.[/quote]

I'll turn that around. Prove to me that there are more Ivy league educated
per capita in NYC than Boulder. Boulder isn't a neighborhood.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
I'll turn that around. Prove to me that there are more Ivy league educated
per capita in NYC than Boulder. Boulder isn't a neighborhood.
It seems as if per-capita, City-Data forum members are completely with any sense of reality or lacking any matter in between their two ears.

Would it even be possible for NYC, a city of 8,400,000 people to have more ivy legeuers per capita than a village of 80,000?

There are probably more ivy leaguers laying on the grass in Central Park right now as we speak than there are in the entire 'city" of Boulder Colorado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City