Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 11:58 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,516,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
And yet more lies........

Lake Sidney Lanier Water Level

You do realize that when you resort to lying about a place just to boost your own that credibility suffers greatly, right?
Also half of the problems with water levels a few years ago was related to political reasons and some odd legal technicalities combined with a record drought that lasted some time. You can't expect a water infrastructure to work out long term if it was planned for a much smaller population in mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 12:04 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,360,256 times
[quote=BillyH;15166720]
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Exactly, it's called planning for the future to hold an ever increasing population. Hardly a bad thing to me.

Sure beats attempting to stem the loss from decades of negative growth.[/quote]

I think its sad and a shame any city has to deal with decades of population and businesses losses from Cleveland and Detroit to East St Louis and Gary or anywhere.
I do too, Billy. It especially bothers me personally since I happen to be from Cleveland.

Many people that live there have been totally convinced by the misguided "leaders" of the region that the end-all, be-all end to this negative growth and continual population loss will be their ability to "control" fresh water going forward. It is really nothing more than a backlash to years of watching friends, neighbors and companies de-camp for points South & West. And it's grasping at straws to think this single resource will rescue them from further decline.

The Cleveland area has a FEW positive things happening, but when a poster starts making up lies about the situation in Atlanta to artificially boost Cleveland, they should expect to be challenged on it.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:10 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,360,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
Also half of the problems with water levels a few years ago was related to political reasons and some odd legal technicalities combined with a record drought that lasted some time. You can't expect a water infrastructure to work out long term if it was planned for a much smaller population in mind.
Exactly. Even at the very peak of the drought, the Army Corp of Engineers continued to release massive amounts of water from the lake daily - mostly for agricultural, nuclear power and environmental (endangered mussels) reasons downstream.

Just this week a Federal judge de-listed the mussels from being protected any longer. It was determined that they are surviving just fine without massive releases......

Old 07-23-2010, 12:13 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,516,923 times
[quote=johnatl;15167060]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyH View Post

I do too, Billy. It especially bothers me personally since I happen to be from Cleveland.

Many people that live there have been totally convinced by the misguided "leaders" of the region that the end-all, be-all end to this negative growth and continual population loss will be their ability to "control" fresh water going forward. It is really nothing more than a backlash to years of watching friends, neighbors and companies de-camp for points South & West. And it's grasping at straws to think this single resource will rescue them from further decline.

The Cleveland area has a FEW positive things happening, but when a poster starts making up lies about the situation in Atlanta to artificially boost Cleveland, they should expect to be challenged on it.
The problem is waiting on the fresh water to be an issue is that it could very well not be an issue in most places for decades if ever due to technology considerations. It would only significantly play a role if the water situation is so dire long-term in an area or all other things ar at or near-equal. Waiting for water issues to creep up is basically a stalling and waiting out the clock maneuver if you aren't adressing the lingering issues.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:26 PM

624 posts, read 906,113 times
[quote=JohnDBaumgardner;15166886]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyH View Post

Billy, most would never utter a word of the "actual" truth concerning places like Cleveland, Detroit or Buffalo ...
We're all very aware of the well documented problems that are happening in the aforementioned cities ...
However, most would have you believing that there's just no hope in a city like Cleveland or Detroit ... an outright and a patent LIE!
There IS PROGRESS happening in Cleveland AND in Detroit ... a pearl of wisdom for all out there, "Don't believe what a lying mouth will continously feed you", instead, believe in what your eyes display before you.
I travel to Cleveland every weekend ( from Columbus ) ... and I encounter a city that IS addressing it's problems, and is working to correct many of these concerns.
People just love to "HATE ON CLEVELAND" AND DETROIT ... makes me ask why? If their cities are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO INTERESTING, FULL OF VITALITY AND ENGAGING ... HOW ( AND WHY ) WOULD CLEVELAND ALWAYS BE AT THE FOREFRONT OF THEIR CONVERSATIONS? HMMMMMM, IF ATLANTA WAS TRULY THAT "ENGAGING", IT SEEMS I'D NEVER SEE BEYOND "IT'S SMOGGINESS"
Bottom line is, Cleveland is NOT the horrible city that people just love to make it out as.
I have been to Cleveland, Detroit and Buffalo and have never thought they were hopeless. I would thing most Americans know of these great cities and hope for their comeback. Detroit is picked on because of the auto industry and crime, Cleveland and Buffalo I'm not sure. I like posters who are boosters for their cities and I can actually learn some interesting fact or see something I had missed before on another visit. But I don't like the negative at another cities expense nothing is gained, your comment on Lake Lanier I took as a joke.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:55 PM

1,374 posts, read 3,254,520 times
[quote=BillyH;15167411]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post

I have been to Cleveland, Detroit and Buffalo and have never thought they were hopeless. I would thing most Americans know of these great cities and hope for their comeback. Detroit is picked on because of the auto industry and crime, Cleveland and Buffalo I'm not sure. I like posters who are boosters for their cities and I can actually learn some interesting fact or see something I had missed before on another visit. But I don't like the negative at another cities expense nothing is gained, your comment on Lake Lanier I took as a joke.
You like "nothing negative spoken against other cities", does that include the desparaging commentaries spoken against the great city of Cleveland??
To clarify, there is a "long term concern" involving the fresh water supply for many large cities ... Atlanta, Denver and Charlotte, have all had to take a realistic 'look" into the future concerning this.
I'm sorry that you "took it as a joke", because then the joke is on you!
A state government ( Georgia ) would've never established an exploratory committee regarding this matter, if it wasn't a viable and legitimate issue.
Sure, Lake Sidney Lanier is back up to it's normal level ... for now.
Wait and see, explosive and ongoing growth in cities with limited water supplies will likely bring about many, many problems in the future.
The joke would then be on those, who continue to defile my character ... simply because I share a few "facts" involving the future.
I have no concerns about my credibility, so long as I'm sharing facts ... which I have.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:12 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,097,205 times
Augusta..... Medical District, National Security Agency, Fort Gordon, Plant Vogtle, and Savannah River Site....

Old 07-23-2010, 01:12 PM

1,374 posts, read 3,254,520 times
Default Just the "facts", people!

[quote=BillyH;15167411]
Quote:

your comment on Lake Lanier I took as a joke.

Who exactly is telling lies now? Here is the unrefuted proof of just
what you "took as a joke", Billy.
I'm not a person who is prone to spreading lies, I'd rather deal with
hard facts, thank you!
There's a plethora of investigative articles on this very topic, see for yourself.
Seems, I'm owed an apology ... not that I actually expect anybody to
own up to their malicious assaults on my credibility.
READ IT AND WEEP, BELOW ....

Transportation, water, budget top list of concerns - Atlanta Business Chronicle
Atlanta case draws concerns about states
ITT Industries Guidebook to Global Water Issues (http://www.itt.com/waterbook/atlanta.asp - broken link)

Old 07-23-2010, 02:50 PM

624 posts, read 906,113 times
Quote:
Again, no lies here. I'll be going overboard "purposefully" ... to refresh myself in a lake "where my knees won't scrape the bottom", as they would if I had attempted to swim in the "dwindling Lake Sidney Lanier" ... Atlanta's dry hole up north.
No worries mate, I'm an excellent swimmer!

This I took as a joke and you weren't responding to me to begin with and no disparaging remarks against Cleveland aren't fair either. I have nothing against Cleveland or Ohio I had relatives who lived in Cincinnati for many years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City