Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 07:17 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,398,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
That's funny, I've never really considered Atlanta this way at all. Probably because of I-285. There are signs practically everywhere directing you back towards it, and you can get anywhere in the city from it. Maybe it is confusing from an outsiders prospective. I never thought of it that way though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 07:45 PM

14,184 posts, read 22,719,087 times
Take a look at both major cities in Pennsylvania. One of them is the hardest, and the other is the easiest.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:46 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,491,267 times
Boston is the only city I've gotten thoroughly lost in, i.e. lost even what direction I was going.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:47 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,192,768 times
Chicago, Illinois. -Easy

Old 07-22-2010, 08:04 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,656,767 times
Seattle can be difficult for newcomers, mainly due to the topography. Streets that seemingly make sense often come to an end or twist and turn around lakes and hills, many times changing names as they do. I definitely recommend mapquest for Seattle, but even that technology can be confusing. One saving grace, most Seattle streets are followed by a NE, NW, SE, SW, so you can't get TOO off the track, just moderately. Note: The central streets don't use these geographic identifiers until well out of the downtown core.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:33 PM

32,077 posts, read 34,661,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_Aficionado View Post
That's funny, I've never really considered Atlanta this way at all. Probably because of I-285. There are signs practically everywhere directing you back towards it, and you can get anywhere in the city from it. Maybe it is confusing from an outsiders prospective. I never thought of it that way though.
It took me about a three hours to figure Atlanta out.

Need to go to Lenox Mall? Take Peachtree Street.

Need to go to Cafe Intermezzo, Gladys Knight's, Maggiano's, or Cheesecake Factory? Take Peachtree Street.

Need to party? Take Peachtree Street.

Need to go downtown? Take Peachtree Street.

Need to go to the train station? Take Peachtree Street.

Need to go to the World of Coke or Underground Atlanta? Take Peachtree Street.

Everything else can be accessed from convenient exits off of I-20, 75, 85, or 285. And a big part of "everything else" is the Waffle House.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:38 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,187,566 times
Oklahoma City, Wichita, Ks, Phoenix, Denver are all very easy for me.

Philly and DC were difficult for me. But I've grown up in the midwest so when I drove on a road and it curves, I immediately say, what the hell, hit the brakes and pull over and look at a map.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:40 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,758,432 times
Dallas is easy to navigate.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:53 PM

21 posts, read 90,561 times
I love the city, but Pittsburgh the first time was really difficult to navigate due to the topography, bridges, tunnels, etc...I found Houston incredibly easy to get around. Flat as a board and lots of points of reference (i.e. DT, William's Tower/Uptown, TMC, etc.)

Old 07-22-2010, 09:22 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,147,894 times
I agree with the above poster. Pittsburgh is a complete mess. Even within their own little neighborhoods the streets are so crooked and windy and just a total mess. Nothing seems parrallel to any degree. It along with Boston have to be the most confusing cities for visitors. In the larger scope, Los Angeles is kind of a mess too, although certain areas within the city can be easy.

Cities that are easy,--I wouldn't say all of New York, the other boroughs can be a bit complicated, but Manhattan is very easy.

Chicago is pretty easy too.

Washington D.C. is not difficult, but driving on the beltway can be a mess. Everything is like exit 25A, B, C, etc. And with eight lanes it can get hairy. The city itself is not bad.

Philly can be easy in some places like the downtown area, and somewhat odd in others.

Cleveland and Buffalo are pretty easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City