Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 08:19 PM

161 posts, read 699,299 times

Advertisements

Some older cities are more difficult to navigate like Boston and D.C., but they don't scare me like most American suburbs do. All those windy streets and cul-de-sacs terrify me (I'm not exaggerating, it so so easy to get lost in any suburb because they look so similar you can be driving and be 5 towns over and not even know you left the first town).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 09:19 PM

840 posts, read 2,085,417 times
I don't know how people get lost in Charlotte, all roads lead Uptown, SouthPark, or University City now you might get lost because the names of the streets change every 15 feet or of all the Sharons in the city but other than that charlotte is fairly easy to navigate.

but I guess if your not from here it would be easy to get lost.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:35 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,480,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgyeldell View Post
I don't know how people get lost in Charlotte, all roads lead Uptown, SouthPark, or University City now you might get lost because the names of the streets change every 15 feet or of all the Sharons in the city but other than that charlotte is fairly easy to navigate.

but I guess if your not from here it would be easy to get lost.
Look how twisted they are though.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:02 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,579,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Some older cities are more difficult to navigate like Boston and D.C., but they don't scare me like most American suburbs do. All those windy streets and cul-de-sacs terrify me (I'm not exaggerating, it so so easy to get lost in any suburb because they look so similar you can be driving and be 5 towns over and not even know you left the first town).
I get scared too! Especially when I'm looking for a house and I'm in the middle of a giant neighborhood. I feel like I won't make it out alive!

Old 07-26-2010, 11:17 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
I get scared too! Especially when I'm looking for a house and I'm in the middle of a giant neighborhood. I feel like I won't make it out alive!
Oh I agree that houses within some of the most recently built suburban neighborhoods look alarmingly similar, but I don't buy it that most people can't tell when they go from one suburban town to the next. The towns themselves certainly don't look alike at all - at least not in Atlanta.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:37 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,480,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
OI don't buy it that most people can't tell when they go from one suburban town to the next.
Down here there's an instant change from the city proper to the suburbs. The second you cross the line you know that you're not in the city anymore. The suburbs, although the houses aren't cookie cutter and exactly like, flow into each other seamlessly so you really wouldn't know if you were going from one into the next. The plus side is that the streets are gridded and some numbered so it's easy to find yourself if you get lost.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:44 PM

179 posts, read 402,335 times
NYC & Chicago are both really easy to navigate especially NYC.

I don't get why people get lost. Everything is numbered! (Minus downtown which gets tricky)
Chicago has maps EVERYWHERE which makes it easy to navigate.

IDK about hardest though.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:58 PM

10,744 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Salt Lake City is by far the easiest. You always know how close or far the nearest temple is. Temple Square its the nucleus of the whole grid plan through out the whole valley. 99% of the streets and avenues are numeric and un-named. The streets are along the lines of West 5600 South meaning 56 blocks west of Temple Square and south.. Logical and bizzarre at the same time.

Seattle, although laid out in somewhat of a numbered grid is very confusing city due to tricky topography. There are several north and south arteries, but east and west is much more difficult to discerne. Many streets go from 4 lane arterials abrubtly into quiet narrow streets.

Boston is a mindless spaghetti bowl. No rhyme or reason. Even though the colonists laid it out, the city and state seem to go out of it's way to make the roads more difficult, much better on foot.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:06 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,740,561 times
Memphis is easy, it's on a grid.

St. Louis is hard, even with a GPS

Old 08-01-2010, 03:43 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,592,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Memphis is easy, it's on a grid.

St. Louis is hard, even with a GPS
Really? I'm a kid and St. Louis is pretty easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City