Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 04:30 PM

84 posts, read 182,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
I don't know a lot about Washington States beaches first hand but I do know there's a big difference between Georgia's beaches and the Gulfs because they are on two different Oceans ( you also can clearly see a big difference from the Washington Beaches and the other two besides people if you pay attention to the pictures). That's one unique and special thing about Georgia. It's the only place in the Union outside of Florida where you can pretty quickly get to two different Oceans.
Not to mention that Georgia doesn't technically border the Gulf of Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 07:53 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,648,291 times
Quote:
That's one unique and special thing about Georgia. It's the only place in the Union outside of Florida where you can pretty quickly get to two different Oceans.
LOLOLOL Would this be before or after you take a hit of LSD?

Last time I checked, The Gulf of Mexico is part of the Atlantic Ocean. That would be the same Ocean that borders the State of Georgia.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:47 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
LOLOLOL Would this be before or after you take a hit of LSD?

Last time I checked, The Gulf of Mexico is part of the Atlantic Ocean. That would be the same Ocean that borders the State of Georgia.
Okay. Technically I guess I should have said Seas instead of Oceans. But really the Atlantic that borders the East Coast and the Gulf of Mexico are two very different bodies of waters. Because it's largely cut off from the rest of the Atlantic it has much smaller tidal ranges. It also has much different depth and currents (one reason it has less seaweed and other debris than the East Coast Atlantic or the Pacific Ocean) and different temperature. The Gulf has it's own distinct beautiful color very different from most of the East Coast Atlantic or the West Coast Pacific. It also has sand that is finer and white in comparison most of the East Coast or the rocky West Coast beaches.

Quote:
Not to mention that Georgia doesn't technically border the Gulf of Mexico.
Yesterday 04:53 PM
I know Georgia does not border the Gulf. I said it was quick to get to the Gulf from Georgia. Much of Georgia in fact is closer to the Gulf of Mexico than to the East Coast and Atlanta is only 20 miles further from Panama City on the Florida Gulf Coast than it is from Tybee Island on Georgia's Coast.

The bottom line to all this is the choices of and variety of beaches availible to Atlanta residents is far greater than what's available to Seattle natives provided they are willing to make well less than a days drive. Add to that the beach season is much longer in Georgia and on the Florida Panhandle.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:30 AM

1,717 posts, read 4,648,291 times
Quote:
I said it was quick to get to the Gulf from Georgia. Much of Georgia in fact is closer to the Gulf of Mexico than to the East Coast and Atlanta is only 20 miles further from Panama City on the Florida Gulf Coast than it is from Tybee Island on Georgia's Coast.
Ummm, seriously. You're actually suggesting that a 5 hour drive is "close"

That's akin to saying Seattle is close to Eugene, OR. Or Montana for crying out loud.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:13 PM

84 posts, read 182,550 times
Quote:
Okay. Technically I guess I should have said Seas instead of Oceans. But really the Atlantic that borders the East Coast and the Gulf of Mexico are two very different bodies of waters. Because it's largely cut off from the rest of the Atlantic it has much smaller tidal ranges. It also has much different depth and currents (one reason it has less seaweed and other debris than the East Coast Atlantic or the Pacific Ocean) and different temperature. The Gulf has it's own distinct beautiful color very different from most of the East Coast Atlantic or the West Coast Pacific. It also has sand that is finer and white in comparison most of the East Coast or the rocky West Coast beaches.
It isn't a sea either. It's just a gulf.

A gulf is like any other bay, inlet, sea, or sound. It is still a member of the ocean that it is connected to.

Besides, don't the Gulf beaches look like this right now? I don't think the Gulf coast would be good for vacationing, at least now.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:20 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,914,335 times
Boston is "close" to beaches along the entire coast of New England, Long Island, the Jersey shore, NYC, Philly, Montreal, and England.

seriously, how are we defining close? Atlanta is nowhere near the ocean.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:33 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Easy decision: (IMO)
Seattle > Atlanta > Boston

Old 08-06-2010, 02:24 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,596,478 times
Boston is also somewhat close to NYC and Philly, so using this new caveat of a 300+ mile locus, Boston can lay claim to every attraction in Manhattan and Center City

Old 08-06-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alki View Post
It isn't a sea either. It's just a gulf.

A gulf is like any other bay, inlet, sea, or sound. It is still a member of the ocean that it is connected to.

Besides, don't the Gulf beaches look like this right now? I don't think the Gulf coast would be good for vacationing, at least now.
Just a Gulf? It's the 9th largest body of water in the World ( half the size of the continental United States) and if like me you've ever vacationed on both the Georgia Coast and Gulf Coast even though they are part of the same Ocean you would know they are as different as night and day.

To answer you're question.

Panama City Beach Chamber of Commerce / The Official Greater Panama City Beach Florida Chamber of Commerce Web Site

Florida Releases June 23, 2010 Gulf Oil Spill Situation Update | Gov Monitor (http://www.thegovmonitor.com/world_news/united_states/florida-releases-june-23-2010-gulf-oil-spill-situation-update-34207.html - broken link)

Apalachicola Bay Chamber of Commerce - Oil Spill Information

NO. Not the ones nearest Georgia and Atlanta anyway.

Quote:
Boston is also somewhat close to NYC and Philly, so using this new caveat of a 300+ mile locus, Boston can lay claim to every attraction in Manhattan and Center City
I would definitely consider Boston's nearness to New York and Philly as a plus if I were deciding whether to live there. Likewise the fact that Seattle is far from everything except Vancouver and Portland I would see as a minus. (And Yeah I know you can always buy a plane ticket but I'd rather not spend that much)

Last edited by Galounger; 08-06-2010 at 04:58 PM..

Old 08-06-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
Ummm, seriously. You're actually suggesting that a 5 hour drive is "close"

That's akin to saying Seattle is close to Eugene, OR. Or Montana for crying out loud.
Lots of people in Atlanta drive to Florida frequently and I have friends in Florida that come up to Atlanta often. It's not unheard of I can leave the house at 7:00am and be having lunch in Panama City or Savannah no big deal. And if you want to go to Eugene (can't imagine why?) go for it (and you would just barely make it into Montana).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City