Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 10:19 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times

Advertisements

Definitely Seattle. It's mild climate (it's not really freezing and the rain isn't as bad as people make it out to be) and summers are especially great. There is plenty of outdoor activities to do (it's the West, after all) and the culture there is fantastic and varied (Seattle was also the number 1 or 2 most literate/educated city in the US according to something or other). They have surprisingly great restaurants, and you can easily access two very different feeling sister cities in Vancouver and Portland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 09:02 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arushan View Post
But people in ATL would want be indoors for as much of the year or more than Seattle because of the oppressing heat/humidity in the Summer. Plus, winters in Seattle aren't much colder than ATL believe it or not.
It's "hot" in Atlanta for about 3 months each year...and the humidity is lower than most areas of the South due to Atlanta's higher altitude and it's proximity to the Appalachian Mountains. Besides, how exactly does heat and humidity keep someone from going in the water?

I wouldn't recommend believing much of what you read about Atlanta on city-data. There are more haters on here than one would expect.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:10 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Definitely Seattle. It's mild climate (it's not really freezing and the rain isn't as bad as people make it out to be) and summers are especially great. There is plenty of outdoor activities to do (it's the West, after all) and the culture there is fantastic and varied (Seattle was also the number 1 or 2 most literate/educated city in the US according to something or other). They have surprisingly great restaurants, and you can easily access two very different feeling sister cities in Vancouver and Portland.
Don't eat the cheese! I admit it's usually beautiful in Seattle this time of year. And someone is sure to post a lot of pictures showing you this. But their summers are short and when you are spending those long months with chilly, wet, dark, cloudy days those pictures won't be much consolation to you.

Yeah it's hot as blazes in Atlanta right now (The world as a whole had record breaking heat this summer) But we've had some nice pleasant days this Summer and Fall, and Spring will be just Awesome usually. Winter here's not that bad either.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:33 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Don't eat the cheese! I admit it's usually beautiful in Seattle this time of year. And someone is sure to post a lot of pictures showing you this. But their summers are short and when you are spending those long months with chilly, wet, dark, cloudy days those pictures won't be much consolation to you.

Yeah it's hot as blazes in Atlanta right now (The world as a whole had record breaking heat this summer) But we've had some nice pleasant days this Summer and Fall, and Spring will be just Awesome usually. Winter here's not that bad either.
I'm not eating the cheese. I like Seattle outside of summer, too. It's never really that cold and the rain and clouds aren't as constant as some people believe.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:48 AM

468 posts, read 789,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I'm not eating the cheese. I like Seattle outside of summer, too. It's never really that cold and the rain and clouds aren't as constant as some people believe.
oh yes it is my parents were military and we were stationed in tacoma. We would go to Seattle all the time. It always was gloomy Rainey and dark. Kinda depressing looking.. Atlanta the heat is something terrible right now.. Hey but the great thing is I did go too white waters last Saturday.. Which I'm sure it's probably going to be packed today..

Old 07-24-2010, 01:36 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 4 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,915,052 times
To Hedgeclippzers:

Wow! How was it living in Romania for a year? Did you live in Bucharest? My parents are from Romania and I visited that country a few times for a month for each of my visits.

I think all three cities can be great options for you.

I disagree with some people's posts being so negative about Seattle and Boston's weather/climate. There are even year round outdoor activities in both of those cities and they seem to have more much more varied year round outdoor activities than Atlanta as well as more varied city activities that you are both looking for. The weather can be great in Seattle and Boston too.

So I think Seattle and Boston would be a better fit for you than Atlanta.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:49 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,648,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
I'm mainly responding to the points in bold:

IMO, Seattle & Boston will not deliver these things on a daily basis. You will spend months trapped inside by the ice, and snow..
Clearly you have never set foot in Seattle. As to outdoor recreation, there is simply no comparison. Seattle sits between two spectacular mountain ranges, bounded by salt water to the West and fresh water to the East. The Pacific Northwest is light years beyond the Atlanta area regarding opportunities for boating, kayaking, skiing, etc.

The natural beauty in and around Seattle is astounding. Not so much in Atl. There are 3 National Parks within 60 miles as the crow flies from Seattle. There isn't a single National Park in the State of GA.

And I'll be laughing about your contentions regarding ice and snow for a long time. Thanks.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:05 AM

571 posts, read 1,172,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
It rains or is misty all the time in Seattle. It's bone-chilling cold and the people are nasty. Atlanta is opposite except has a lot more crime.

Wow....yeah....talk about a little misinformed.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:31 AM

702 posts, read 3,010,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
I'm mainly responding to the points in bold:

IMO, Seattle & Boston will not deliver these things on a daily basis. You will spend months trapped inside by the ice, and snow. You will have nothing left to do but go out to bars since it gets so cold and depressing in Boston and Seattle. Forget your kayak, the rivers and lakes will be frozen over for months. You also won't be meeting too many people based on the horrible weather in either city. Now Atlanta on the other hand, has a much milder climate that would give you almost year round kayaking and archery. You're close to beautiful mountains with great streams and not too far from the ocean (warm unlike Boston or Seattle). Atlanta is a great city and I think almost anywhere ITP would do the trick for you.
Let's not exaggerate here. I've lived in both Boston and Atlanta. Both have their pluses and minuses, but your post contains quite a bit of misinformation. Boston gets quite cold in winter but often is quite sunny and not depressing. Atlanta definitely has a much milder climate, but I wouldn't be kayaking in winter either as it can get quite cold. BTW, Atlanta is very far from the ocean. Not too far is an hour or two max. Atlanta is at least 5+ hours from any real beaches and is not really practical to go for a day trip. Atlanta is nice but I don't think it is at the level of Boston and Seattle for culture, history, etc. However it is much cheaper to live then either Boston or Seattle.

Boston and Seattle offer more in terms of outdoor stuff. Both Boston and Seattle have mountains and oceans nearby. Boston beaches are sandier than Seattles with lots of sand dunes. Boston's proximity to NYC is also a plus. Outside of NYC, it is also a great city if you love to travel to Europe as it often has cheap deals as it is the closest large American city to Europe. However, based on your post I would suggest Seattle as it has more book stores per capita than anywhere else that is if you don't mind the cloudiness and drizzle for part of the year.

Old 07-25-2010, 01:35 PM

468 posts, read 789,934 times
Remember Atlanta doesn't have any strong history. It just sits in the middle of no where with no kind scenery. No nothing.. I guess Atlanta location just mess things up all across the board..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City