Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Whose the best overall?
Bay Area 6 14.29%
Twin Cities 5 11.90%
Philadelphia 22 52.38%
They're all bad, I follow another team/I don't really care about these cities sports teams 9 21.43%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 09:24 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,875,397 times

Advertisements

Oh my God.....I totally thought he meant Tampa Bay! I need to read closer, sorry!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 09:27 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Oh my God.....I totally thought he meant Tampa Bay! I need to read closer, sorry!

Funny thing is if you glance at the title it almost reads that way - Before looking again i read it that way too

Old 07-24-2010, 09:28 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
I should have thrown Tampa Bay in too, they have some nice teams, some are successful too.

I guess too late now though.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:43 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,347,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calisnuffy View Post
Mls sucks....We should give the Radiers away to a city that cares about sports
Don't ever talk.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:14 AM

705 posts, read 1,661,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Don't ever talk.
If the truth hurts, don't listen. Oakland does not deserve anything , I cannot wait to see a place that cares about sports get the A's and the Raiders. You cannot even watch a Raiders game on Tv, its utterly pathetic.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:02 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calisnuffy View Post
Bay Area has the best hockey team but they always flop in the playoffs
stanley cup was philly vs chicago...
a team is not good that flops in the playoffs, obviously something is missing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
NHL - Lightning

lightning are in tampa...

Old 07-24-2010, 11:25 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
People tend to forget that the Athletics actually began in Philadelphia. The Athletics were very successful here, winning 5 World Series and making 8 World Series appearances in 53 years. For some reason, the Athletics moved out of the city and the team that stayed would end up with the most losses in all of Professional Sports and 2 World Series wins in 127 years. Still love The Phillies though.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:16 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,706,475 times
Philadelphia- one of the things I liked about going to Philly was the passion for sports among residents. In a taxi we asked how they liked "TO", LOL they guy turned around and said "Don't mention that name in this town, seriously man"... At the Phillies game, there were actually fans yelling! (In Minnesota, it's such a darn Family-oriented area that all you see are cute little families sitting silently watchign the game). I loved this. Something that's cool about Philly is that all of their arenas and stadiums are in the same part of town.

The Bay Area - The bay area had some glory years in the 80's with the A's and Giants being successful, however their basketball team and pseudo football team are a joke(Oakland), while the 9ers were ridiculous in the 80s and 90s. San Jose is a very successful NHL Franchise, so they have that going for them.

The Twin Cities - 4 pro teams, none of which are really successful (championships). the Twins win divisions, and the Vikings are a well-known NFL team, but still no rings!

Twin Cities
Vikings
Twins
Wild
Timberwolves

Bay Area
A's
Giants
49ers
Raiders
Sharks
Warriors

Philadelphia
Eagles
Flyers
76ers
Phillies

MLB...Twins, Phillies, A's, Giants
Right now, my two favorite teams are the Twins and then the Phillies. Both are very similar franchises - New stadiums, local sports star (Howard and Mauer), High Attendance....Philly just went to 2 WS so they have the edge. The A's and Giants are pretty worthless, but the Giants have Lincecum and ATT Park.

NBA..Warriors, Wolves 76ers
Timberwolves? -Joke. Warriors?- Joke. 76ers? -Joke
I dont even know who has the edge on that one.

NHL... Sharks, Flyers, Wild
Wild are newbies, Sharks are awesome and Flyers have the best fans, even though Wild have sold out every single game in franchise history!

NFL... 49ers, Raiders, Eagles, Vikings
Raiders and 49ers have better history, but Eagles have been successful in the McNabb era.. the Vikings are one of the winningest NFL teams in history with 4 SB losses, LOL.

Superstars?
MPLS -
Joe Mauer
Justin Morneau
Brett Favre
Adrian Peterson
Ricky Rubio
Mikko Koivu
....we used to have Kirby, KG, Johan Santana and Randy Moss....

Philly-
Ryan Howard
Chase Utley
Roy Halladay
Allen Iverson
...used to have McNabb, TO, and a good AI

Bay Area
Stephen Curry?
Tim Lincecum
Kung foo Panda
Michael Crabtree?
Not too good at this one..

I'd take the Superstars of the Twin Cities... I love having Joe Mauer, Justin Morneau, Favre, and AP!

Old 07-24-2010, 12:19 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,386,687 times
It kind of just comes down to what teams you like the most or what teams happen to be in your own state. For example, people in LA hate the San Francisco Giants [a rivalry that goes back decades] yet the Oakland Raiders have a huge fan base [even before & after they briefly played in Los Angeles]. The Warriors are basically pathetic but I'm sure many Californians would rate them higher than the Philadelphia 76ers just out of loyalty to the state.

Personally, I like both the 76ers and Eagles but hate the Philadelphia fans who are considered the rudest and most obnoxious of any city in the U.S. including Boston.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:40 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,706,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
It kind of just comes down to what teams you like the most or what teams happen to be in your own state. For example, people in LA hate the San Francisco Giants [a rivalry that goes back decades] yet the Oakland Raiders have a huge fan base [even before & after they briefly played in Los Angeles]. The Warriors are basically pathetic but I'm sure many Californians would rate them higher than the Philadelphia 76ers just out of loyalty to the state.

Personally, I like both the 76ers and Eagles but hate the Philadelphia fans who are considered the rudest and most obnoxious of any city in the U.S. including Boston.
Rude fans are the best. That's what sports are all about-banter. If you've ever been an athlete you can attest to that. I grew up playing baseball (still do, in my mid-20s) where trash talking was just part of the game. Same thing for football and hockey, it's just how it is. Even moreso if you are a former athlete watching the game.

When I go to Twins Games I get so many looks because I'm not afraid to scream things at Twins players or opposing teams! In Minnesota I get looked at like I'm crazy, and I just want to say "Holy moly, go to a Phillies game if you think this is crazy,lol"

In Chi at a Sox game, the fans there were similar to Philly-Loud, obnoxious, entertaining, just FANS. At Baseball games in Japan, fans don't even sit they are cheering the entire time. In USA most stadiums you could hear a pin drop
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City