U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 09:21 PM

22,402 posts, read 35,047,867 times

Advertisements

Both cities are roughly the same size on city population and MSA and CSA size.

What makes these cities similar?

What makes these cities different?

I am curious as based on many stats they appear very similar and am curious to hear people's thoughts
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 09:36 PM

10,171 posts, read 14,198,399 times
They are very comparable in some ways and very different in others. I see more differences though.

I think the layout is the main difference. Dallas has the more spacious layout, almost tripling Philadelphia's.

I have been to both cities (Dallas I have been to at least fifty times), and Philadelphia feels very tightly done, more centered around the core, it's like an reactive atom almost, the nucleus is very tightly organized and everything revolves around it.

With Dallas it's more lax, downtown might be in the center of the city, but that is not where the life of the city is, it's more sporadic and spread out across the four horizons of the city instead. The city seems to have more space, and the biggest key is the auto-centric nature of the city.

Philadelphia is master planned, it has a solid street system and very walkable, like I said, this city's life is in the core and it's liveliest around the core.

Public transportation, is another difference. Public transportation in Dallas is more so relaxed as well, not a high dependency on it yet.

The other difference is Dallas is a twin city, it has Fort Worth to relieve it with a lot of work. Businesses, even commuting patterns, where people live.

Philadelphia is more of a standalone city, on it's own, and in charge of it's metropolitan are. It makes sure that everything revolves around it.

With Dallas it has to share that spot light.

The layout, Dallas has the spread out layout, where the city is large by land area and everything is spread out, you have to have a car to get from point A to point B. With Philadelphia the main things are closer to the core, more walkable.

Neither one is right or wrong, but both of them have very distinct lifestyles and layouts.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:43 PM

13,390 posts, read 23,262,201 times
Other than their sizes, I cant really think that they have much in common.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:59 PM

12,506 posts, read 24,901,883 times
That's what I'm sayin'.

They have little in common other than metro population numbers & Houston is about to take Philly's spot at #5 largest metropolitan area leaving nothing in common.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
That's what I'm sayin'.

They have little in common other than metro population numbers & Houston is about to take Philly's spot at #5 largest metropolitan area leaving nothing in common.

Funny thing is on city Philadelphia seems vastly larger than either, maybe i am crazy but remember in both the metos you are describing, I have not only driven out of Philly but through the burbs and either into NYC or DC - think they are hard to compare. One has a lot people in a huge space, one has a lot people right next to even more people. In the space of either from where i live is the current whole population of Texas, so yes I agree they are tough to compare. To me i still find it laughable that Houston or Dallas are considered larger than philadelphia - to me they seem not even close in size. I grew up in suburb like the city of either, just better schools

Old 07-26-2010, 11:13 PM

12,506 posts, read 24,901,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Funny thing is on city Philadelphia seems vastly larger than either, maybe i am crazy but remember in both the metos you are describing, I have not only driven out of Philly but through the burbs and either into NYC or DC - think they are hard to compare. One has a lot people in a huge space, one has a lot people right next to even more people. In the space of either from where i live is the current whole population of Texas, so yes I agree they are tough to compare. To me i still find it laughable that Houston or Dallas are considered larger than philadelphia - to me they seem not even close in size. I grew up in suburb like the city of either, just better schools
What can I say? Everything is bigger in Texas!

Old 07-26-2010, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
What can I say? Everything is bigger in Texas!

And a great place to be proud of, sorry for the rant - actually wasnt the purpose of the thread. I just find it interesting on statistics two metros much different have very similar characteristics on paper

Old 07-26-2010, 11:45 PM

15,397 posts, read 20,887,385 times
Here is a lot of information about both great cities>>>>>
//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...important.html

Old 07-27-2010, 07:02 AM

13,390 posts, read 23,262,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
And a great place to be proud of, sorry for the rant - actually wasnt the purpose of the thread. I just find it interesting on statistics two metros much different have very similar characteristics on paper
Southern cities and Northeastern cities are structured differently. I dont think either should be penalized for it. The cities take up more land in Texas because we have more of it and land is cheaper. People in Texas generally want a house with a front and back yard. Either way, even though DFW has 6.5 million people in 9 counties and 9,000 square miles, 5.7 million of those live in 4 counties and 3,400 square miles. The rest is mostly farm and ranch land.

On the other hand, most people in Philly prefer a more compact style of living.

I dont think either are wrong, just different.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:10 AM

976 posts, read 2,044,594 times
philadelphia is a city; dallas is a suburb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City