Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would you choose?
Rochester, NY 43 37.39%
Omaha, Ne 72 62.61%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 08:31 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,675,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
I guess I just would have a problem with Omaha in the sense that it seems to be surrounded by a lot of nothing. What else is in Nebraska that would be interesting? (not a rhetorical question, I'm curious to know.) Rochester is surrounded by beautiful natural attractions, other interesting smaller cities, and historical landmarks. You don't have to board a plane to get to any of it, either.
You are right on this one. Rochester hands down has more attractive destinations within driving distance compared to Omaha. Omaha and Rochester are the two places my husband and I are looking to relocate, and the fact that Omaha is surrounded by very little is the one drawback. However Omaha beats out Rochester (in our minds) in terms of weather, cost of living, economic stability, taxes, and overall future outlook. If we move to Omaha we will have loads more expendable income and will be able to afford a much nicer house than we would in Rochester suburbs. Plus for day to day living, Omaha works better for us (for all the reasons mentioned above), and day to day living is where we will be spending the majority of our time - rather than traveling the surrounding region. However if the cards fall in favor of Rochester, we will be happy there too .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 09:25 AM

91,973 posts, read 122,044,192 times
As for housing, it depends on where you live in the Rochester area. Here's some examples: Nothnagle.com - Property Search Results

Also, overall cost of living isn't necessarily that much different. Here are some cost of living calculators that give examples: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed (you can specify a certain community on this one)

Cost of Living Wizard | Salary.com

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed (big difference on this one)

You might also have to think about things like schools, safety and things to do in the immediate area too.

Last edited by Yac; 08-20-2010 at 05:58 AM..

Old 08-16-2010, 10:55 AM

14 posts, read 28,164 times
I prefer Omaha over Rochester any day.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
As for housing, it depends on where you live in the Rochester area. Here's some examples: Nothnagle.com - Property Search Results

Also, overall cost of living isn't necessarily that much different. Here are some cost of living calculators that give examples: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed (you can specify a certain community on this one)

Cost of Living Wizard | Salary.com

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed (big difference on this one)

You might also have to think about things like schools, safety and things to do in the immediate area too.
Unfortunately a lot of the online calculators are not very accurate. One for example does not factor in taxes, which are significant. The salary wizards are also not accurate for my husband's profession. We have been comparing apples to apples since we are quite familiar with both areas and have connections in both areas, and by far our cost of living would be less in Omaha if were comparing to a similar lifestyle in Rochester. That's just how Omaha is...

Last edited by Yac; 08-20-2010 at 05:56 AM..

Old 08-18-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmom View Post
Unfortunately a lot of the online calculators are not very accurate. One for example does not factor in taxes, which are significant. The salary wizards are also not accurate for my husband's profession. We have been comparing apples to apples since we are quite familiar with both areas and have connections in both areas, and by far our cost of living would be less in Omaha if were comparing to a similar lifestyle in Rochester. That's just how Omaha is...
I believe the first one actually includes property tax in the criteria for housing.

What about salary averages for occupations?

Old 08-19-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
I believe the first one actually includes property tax in the criteria for housing.

What about salary averages for occupations?
I checked again and that first link doesn't say anything about taxes. The salary averages don't seem to account for factors such as shortages. It seems to just reflect overall averages - e.g. jobs here pay on average this amount compared to this amount in this city. My husband works in a highly specialized field that has a huge shortage in this country (shortage of people to do the work, not shortage of jobs....thankfully). Based on preliminary research it looks like Omaha employers are offering jobs in his field that offer compensation that reflects the shortage and demand for his types. Not so much in the Rochester area, which is probably why Rochester is having such a hard time recruiting and keeping people in his field. Omaha also has more potential employers in his field.

He is still going to do a job search in both cities next year, and our decision between Rochester and Omaha will ultimately come down to which city gives him a better job offer. We know we will be happy in either city. Omaha has better weather (in our opinion), a stronger economy and lower cost of living - and Rochester has tons of amenities and beauty, great schools, plus we have family there which is a huge factor. It's a win-win situation no matter what for us .

Old 08-19-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmom View Post
I checked again and that first link doesn't say anything about taxes. The salary averages don't seem to account for factors such as shortages. It seems to just reflect overall averages - e.g. jobs here pay on average this amount compared to this amount in this city. My husband works in a highly specialized field that has a huge shortage in this country (shortage of people to do the work, not shortage of jobs....thankfully). Based on preliminary research it looks like Omaha employers are offering jobs in his field that offer compensation that reflects the shortage and demand for his types. Not so much in the Rochester area, which is probably why Rochester is having such a hard time recruiting and keeping people in his field. Omaha also has more potential employers in his field.

He is still going to do a job search in both cities next year, and our decision between Rochester and Omaha will ultimately come down to which city gives him a better job offer. We know we will be happy in either city. Omaha has better weather (in our opinion), a stronger economy and lower cost of living - and Rochester has tons of amenities and beauty, great schools, plus we have family there which is a huge factor. It's a win-win situation no matter what for us .
If you click on the word Housing, it mentions property taxes on there for the first one.

Also, I'm surprised that he hasn't checked out Hillside Children's Center, which is based in Rochester. Results -- View

Old 08-19-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
If you click on the word Housing, it mentions property taxes on there for the first one.

Also, I'm surprised that he hasn't checked out Hillside Children's Center, which is based in Rochester. Results -- View
We have researched Hillside...although he is not going to begin a job search in earnest until next year. Thanks for the link!

Old 08-20-2010, 09:51 PM

258 posts, read 1,031,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
Omaha:

Rochester:
Rochester looks like a mini Boston!

Old 08-21-2010, 12:47 PM

6,615 posts, read 16,486,860 times
Quote:
I will also say that you can also say that many people have a very negative view of Upstate NY even in the region itself. So, it's not all roses coming from people here all of the time either.
This is so true! My cousins have lived in Roch their whole lives and they constantly complain about it. But they have never lived anywhere else. I've lived in 5 states and try to tell them if they think Roch doesn't have desirable qualities they should try living in other states. When you look at some of the threads in the Sunbelt states and read what Upstaters who have relocated are saying, you see them realizing that the grass ISN'T always greener someplace else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City