Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would you choose?
Rochester, NY 43 37.07%
Omaha, Ne 73 62.93%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 08:48 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,273 times

Advertisements

Very beautiful pictures of Nebraska.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 09:57 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,426,909 times
Rochester.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:42 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,578,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahahonors View Post

Wait a minute! Of these pix, only the first appears to have been shot anywhere close to Omaha. The others were obviously taken in far western Nebraska, >300 miles from Omaha. If that's how far the bar has been raised, then for Roch, we could post pix of Times Square, downtown Toronto, Niagara Falls, the Finger Lakes, 1000 Islands, Lakes Erie and Ontario, Cooperstown, the Adirondacks and the Catskills and the Berkshires, just to name a few. Don't get me wrong, western NE is beautiful, I've been there. But if we are talking scenic diversity and attractions within a 300 mile radius, Omaha doesn't come close to Roch.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:55 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,578,172 times
Why are you guys talking population? Why is a region more desirable than another because it has a higher population? Yes, there is somewhat of a correlation between population size and attractiveness of a region (attractive to many but not all), but many other features play into it that are not always related to population size. For example, if you want to use professional sports, many would say little Green Bay, WI would be more attractive than Omaha or Roch because the Packers are there. For entertainment, the theme park crowd would find smaller Orlando more attractive than larger Phoenix or Philadelphia. For "good weather" many would pick smaller Daytona Beach over larger Spokane. For cultural amenities, many would pick smaller Pittsburgh over larger Fresno.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:58 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,194,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Wait a minute! Of these pix, only the first appears to have been shot anywhere close to Omaha. The others were obviously taken in far western Nebraska, >300 miles from Omaha. If that's how far the bar has been raised, then for Roch, we could post pix of Times Square, downtown Toronto, Niagara Falls, the Finger Lakes, 1000 Islands, Lakes Erie and Ontario, Cooperstown, the Adirondacks and the Catskills and the Berkshires, just to name a few. Don't get me wrong, western NE is beautiful, I've been there. But if we are talking scenic diversity and attractions within a 300 mile radius, Omaha doesn't come close to Roch.
I could provide more pictures, but this thread is very tiring.. LOL.. I think I'm done. If not I'll come back later.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:04 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,194,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Why are you guys talking population? Why is a region more desirable than another because it has a higher population? Yes, there is somewhat of a correlation between population size and attractiveness of a region (attractive to many but not all), but many other features play into it that are not always related to population size. For example, if you want to use professional sports, many would say little Green Bay, WI would be more attractive than Omaha or Roch because the Packers are there. For entertainment, the theme park crowd would find smaller Orlando more attractive than larger Phoenix or Philadelphia. For "good weather" many would pick smaller Daytona Beach over larger Spokane. For cultural amenities, many would pick smaller Pittsburgh over larger Fresno.
OMaha has major events, concerts, D1 sports on an elite level and the new UFLleague. Plus 5 fortune 500 HQs and very decent weather.

Omaha >>>>> GB, WI

Old 07-29-2010, 10:19 AM

686 posts, read 1,698,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I grossly underestimated the Niagara Region of Ontario, as the 2006 Canadian census says that the region had just over 427,000 people. So, it is more than I thought and that is an area right across the Niagara River from the Buffalo metro. So, Buffalo's immediate area is more like 1.6 million.

Buffalo's metro consists of two counties erie and Niagra and add up to a total population of just over 1,200,000 and shrinking.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:58 PM

93,239 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondackguy123 View Post
Buffalo's metro consists of two counties erie and Niagra and add up to a total population of just over 1,200,000 and shrinking.
I know that, but my point was that the Niagara Region of Ontario is greatly influenced by Buffalo probably to the point where they do much of their shopping/entertainment there, they follow the same teams, take in the same type of media largely and some might even work on the US/NY side.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:20 PM

65 posts, read 120,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Hit up the East End, Park Ave. Monroe Ave. and go to Charlotte Beach, among some other things. That's just within Rochester city limits. Omaha is 115.7 sq. mi. and Rochester is 35.6 sq. mi. So, people have to think about that too...
I know that there are many lively places in Rochester, I live downtown, I'm just saying sometimes I'd like to be able to walk to a CVS! Walk further north downtown from the east end and all it is is empty storefronts and banks. I love Park Ave and the East end, hopefully the liveliness there can just work its way downtown...

Old 07-29-2010, 01:26 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,043 times
Well technically the East end is downtown, but all it has is restaurants, bars and clubs. It could use more retail other than that "eye candy" store. I read of plans to bring back a grocery store to the Main street area of DT, so that may help you a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City