Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 11:54 AM

813 posts, read 2,031,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I know that the nightlife is not limited to Downtown, and I admit that I haven't been to those other areas, but the point I was making is that Nashville's nightlife is primarily concentrated Downtown, whereas in St. Louis that's not the case. It's more spread out because it's a city of neighborhoods. That could be a good or a bad thing. Also, some of the inner-ring suburbs are urban & walkable like Clayton and Kirkwood. So for nightlife, I'd say it's a tie.
Considering that I haven't went out downtown Nashville in years, I will take a somewhat different view on nightlife in Nashville. I suppose it depends on what type of scene one is looking for. Most of the locals I know get their kicks away from the tourist traps downtown.

Also, while Nashville can't touch St. Louis's great walkable neighborhoods, it is certainly a city of neighborhoods as well: Hillsboro Village, Edgefield & Five Points, Germantown, 12South, Sylvan Park, Green Hills, Woodbine, etc. All have their own distinct vibes. You just need to get around to seeing them on your next visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 12:57 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,400,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I love Ladue. You should check out Clayton too. Very classes towns.
Yes, Ladue is supernice. I've never visited Clayton, but I was very impressed with Ladue. It seems to be an "old money" haven with lots of great architecture and beautiful scenery.

Old 08-01-2010, 04:21 PM

269 posts, read 666,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesjow View Post
Considering that I haven't went out downtown Nashville in years, I will take a somewhat different view on nightlife in Nashville. I suppose it depends on what type of scene one is looking for. Most of the locals I know get their kicks away from the tourist traps downtown.

Also, while Nashville can't touch St. Louis's great walkable neighborhoods, it is certainly a city of neighborhoods as well: Hillsboro Village, Edgefield & Five Points, Germantown, 12South, Sylvan Park, Green Hills, Woodbine, etc. All have their own distinct vibes. You just need to get around to seeing them on your next visit.
Nash is one of the least walkable cities around. I love the Sylvan Park neighborhood! In STL I love Forest Park.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:36 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,597,415 times
Nashville may have a faster growing economy 'at the moment' but the St. Louis economy is larger and has far more Fortune 1000 companies.

Nashville is a GREAT music city, but country music is very polarizing. Personally I CAN'T STAND it.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:59 PM

256 posts, read 605,362 times
I don't think you can compare the two. I'm from STL, have a strong affinity for Nashville. STL "wins" in nearly all "competitions". It's an OLD city, by US standards. With that comes lot. Premier parks, neighborhoods, cultural institutions, European immigrants a century ago (established ethnic food scene)....

STL "wins". That doesn't diminish Nashville. You can't compare. They are VERY MUCH complimentary cities as opposed to competing cities.

STL is nearly twice the size of Nashville and much older and a Midwest city. Some people call it South, but there are there too many Midwestern aspects to ever deem it the South -- namely its age and mostly Catholic population.

YET, I DO see similarities in that both - mainly in things that are "intangible". There is similar pride. There's a similar "sturdiness' to both cities. There's a similar mix of old and new.

They are just great companion cities. They really should "partner".

It boils down to if you want an older, bigger city or newer, mid-sized city? Midwest or South? STL is one of the absolute most European-feeling cities the US has -- another factor -- "European" or "American"?

I highly recommend both to anyone. Standout, underated cities that offer A LOT.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:30 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times
St Louis by a long shot. If only StL had Nashville's NFL stadium

Old 09-22-2010, 10:38 AM

66 posts, read 184,935 times
1. Better economy: Nashville (at least short term)

2. Better layout: def Saint Louis (much more urban)

3. Better public transportation: Saint Louis (big difference)

4. Better restaurants: Saint Louis (much better variety all around)

5. Better shopping: Saint Louis (malls slightly...other shopping and boutiques by far)

6. Better schools/universities: Saint Louis! (Washington U)

7. Better nightlife: Depends on the vibe you want

8. Better concerts/festivals/other events: CONCERTS (Nashville- country)... FESTIVALS (St. Louis)

9. Better parks: Saint Louis (especially the urban parks)

10. Better housing costs: St. Louis does have more to offer in variety of options... but Nashville might have a slight edge on overall cost

Old 09-23-2010, 07:23 PM

66 posts, read 184,935 times
>>>>>>>>>>>I know that the nightlife is not limited to Downtown, and I admit that I haven't been to those other areas, but the point I was making is that Nashville's nightlife is primarily concentrated Downtown, whereas in St. Louis that's not the case. It's more spread out because it's a city of neighborhoods. That could be a good or a bad thing. Also, some of the inner-ring suburbs are urban & walkable like Clayton and Kirkwood. So for nightlife, I'd say it's a tie.<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

St. Louis is definitely a neighborhood city (urban neighborhoods)... that's one of the reasons I strongly favor it here.

(btw- I've been all around Nashville many many times.. I have fam and my wife has friends there.)

But again-- they certainly have very different vibes.. so it's about preference.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:14 PM

256 posts, read 605,362 times
STL has Laclede's Landing and Washington Avenue. I think it has quite a bit of downtown nightlife.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:28 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,963,320 times
St. Louis is more in line with Cleveland and Baltimore.

Nashville is more inline with Austin and Charlotte.

With that being said, they are not peer cities at all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City