U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2010, 11:42 AM

Location: Philadelphia, PA (Wanting to move) --Burlington, VT, Asheville, NC, Boulder, CO?
129 posts, read 374,145 times

Advertisements

I have reached a critical juncture in my life where I must decide where it is I am going to go from here (I am currently in Philadelphia --a city that I despise –it is dirty, uneducated, poor air/water quality, loud, and high crime; in a stagnant situation). I had this vivid dream a year ago with a clearly painted sign that read: "You are at the crossroads." I have reached that point.

I am a bit nervous about this new change in my life, ie: trying (needing) to decide where I am going to move. I am trying my best to get clarity. I want to find an area that will suit my needs and that I can flourish in. I have considered the following places:

Asheville, NC 0 CODA, 3 ACOA,
Boulder, CO 0 CODA, 0 ACOA
Burlington, VT 2 CODA, 0 ACOA,
Eugene, OR 3 CODA, 1 ACOA,
Portland, OR 4 CODA, 4 ACOA
Ithaca, NY 0 CODA, 0 ACOA

Boulder, CO and Ithaca, NY are being taken out of the mix right now for other reasons. Burlington, VT is the only place I have visited and actually lived for the last 4 years. I absolutely loved it, but I am looking to expand, grow more, and experience new culture…

What matters to me when deciding on a place to live is that the place be:

-Progressive
-Health conscious (a wealth of bicyclists, runners, walkers)
-Liberal (good community or social programs and a sense of shared future or shared community)
-Scenic (Available hiking, camping, kayaking, and state parks within city limits)
-A good number of trees and parks and trails within city limits
-Large organic health food selection
-Cultured (Theater, libraries, operas, public liberal radio)
-Low crime rate… safe!
-Not hotter than 90 degrees (I would prefer temperatures between 70-85 on average)
-Nice people, more friendly. Not fake.
-Mostly Democratic representation (few or no Republicans into the office)
-A good transportation system + pedestrian friendly
-Low pollution (good air and water quality standards)

Nutshell: I am looking for a safe city that’s progressive, organic, has lots of artists, writers, and musicians, has a political bend/twist, and is into staying healthy and fit.

All of these cities fit the basic description! At any rate, I cannot make up my mind about where I should be/move. I also am terribly afraid to move! LOL. I cannot get the clarity needed in order to make a sound decision. I am trying to understand intuitively where my spirit would best thrive.

I am hoping that hearing other’s stories about a time in their life where they were at the "crossroads" and how they overcame the obstacle.

What was your obstacle, how did you feel, and how did you overcome the obstacle/transition?

I am not 100% comfortable with change and need guidance right now

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 11:43 AM

Location: Philadelphia, PA (Wanting to move) --Burlington, VT, Asheville, NC, Boulder, CO?
I just looked at pictures of Oregon's landscape compared to Vermont's... and something is missing with OR. Do you think Vermont has more natural beauty? How would you describe Oregon's "beauty?"

Oregon seems to have a dry feel... Vermont seems wet and luscious. Still, I want to expand and explore... I love the woods. What is it I wonder about Oregon's beauty that's missing?

Old 07-19-2011, 01:36 PM

Anyone?

Old 07-19-2011, 01:44 PM

3,808 posts, read 5,035,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not2bforgot10 View Post
I just looked at pictures of Oregon's landscape compared to Vermont's... and something is missing with OR. Do you think Vermont has more natural beauty? How would you describe Oregon's "beauty?"

Oregon seems to have a dry feel... Vermont seems wet and luscious. Still, I want to expand and explore... I love the woods. What is it I wonder about Oregon's beauty that's missing?
I think that west of the Cascades, Oregon is very lush. It is eastern Oregon that is arid, not the Portland/Eugene area. As it rains less in the summer, it tends to dry out somewhat, as compared with Vermont. However, I'll take 12 months of semi-green to very green landscape over green summers and barren winters anyday. Also, I think Oregon is much more dramatic in its landscape with huge snowcapped peaks and rugged ocean coasts. Vermont is pretty and all, but it just doesn't compare.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:29 PM

34,642 posts, read 60,335,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not2bforgot10 View Post
I just looked at pictures of Oregon's landscape compared to Vermont's... and something is missing with OR.
Monotony?

Old 07-19-2011, 04:05 PM

12,390 posts, read 26,333,124 times
monotony is right, i hate cities like that, almost zero diversity of culture/race/thought. there is a reason people call it Boregon.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
monotony is right, i hate cities like that, almost zero diversity of culture/race/thought. there is a reason people call it Boregon.
LOL...no, I was talking about what Oregon lacks as far as natural beauty.

As far as your point, I like diversity but could live anywhere and be happy regardless as to the race of the people, so long as we are nice to each other.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:18 PM

12,390 posts, read 26,333,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
LOL...no, I was talking about what Oregon lacks as far as natural beauty.

As far as your point, I like diversity but could live anywhere and be happy regardless as to the race of the people, so long as we are nice to each other.
Haha, that too... I dunno, that is a nice thought, but I think you would get tired of it! After a few weeks of it I would need to get back to the real world/civilization.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Haha, that too... I dunno, that is a nice thought, but I think you would get tired of it! After a few weeks of it I would need to get back to the real world/civilization.

Old 03-08-2015, 03:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,882 times
Oregon is a very large state and the portion of the state that is green and lush is likely larger than the whole state of Vermont. Oregon is incredibly beautiful with beaches, mountains, waterfalls, canyons, and old volcanoes. Oneonta Gorge, Cape Perpetua, Cater Lake, Multnomah Falls, the Columbia River Gorge, Opal Creek and Wallowa Lake are some of my favorites. According to this site [url=http://places.findthehome.com/compare/3-12/Oregon-vs-Vermont]Oregon vs Vermont - Places Comparison[/url], Oregon is actually more diverse than Vermont as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City