Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 12:12 PM

258 posts, read 1,034,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, Toronto's more than three hours away from Buffalo. That's not really a short hop and skip away.
Three hours?!

I made it from Toronto to Buffalo in 1 hour and some change
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 12:14 PM

258 posts, read 1,034,740 times
When it comes to weather - I LOVE THE SNOW. I love cooler weather, also.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:30 PM

9 posts, read 17,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
I borderline hate Boston. Lol, I don't want to talk about it. Don't like talking about that too much.

Chicago is dense too, but if you've been there, you'll notice how much wider it is on street view than say Manhattan. Which gives more room. I also like how it can die out at certain times of the day.

I used to try to get coffee every morning at 8 AM, would see a huge line and stuff and would leave and come back at 10 when there's literally like only 12 people there instead of 35 or something. (In downtown Chicago)

It's also why I like Los Angeles as much as I do.

Are you able to follow what I mean by the descriptions?
Hahaha. Yeah I see what you mean. And come to think of it, most cities in the northeast are all super dense.

I LOVE Chicago. I've been there twice already. It's a great city. But you're right; I stayed in a hotel in the Loop and it was DEAD come 8-9PM.
The roads there are really wide. I like that as well. The only road that is wide in Manhattan is Park Avenue. The rest are pretty small.
LA is okay. I'd like it for vacation or college or something along those lines. But I wouldn't really want to raise a family there.

But anyway, last time I went to Buffalo, everything looked sad and dreary. I mean it was December. But it looked like everything and everyone bored or dead. And it's very gray.
Providence is a little livelier which is why I would choose Providence over Buffalo.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:55 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giantsfan0408 View Post
Hahaha. Yeah I see what you mean. And come to think of it, most cities in the northeast are all super dense.

I LOVE Chicago. I've been there twice already. It's a great city. But you're right; I stayed in a hotel in the Loop and it was DEAD come 8-9PM.
The roads there are really wide. I like that as well. The only road that is wide in Manhattan is Park Avenue. The rest are pretty small.
LA is okay. I'd like it for vacation or college or something along those lines. But I wouldn't really want to raise a family there.

But anyway, last time I went to Buffalo, everything looked sad and dreary. I mean it was December. But it looked like everything and everyone bored or dead. And it's very gray.
Providence is a little livelier which is why I would choose Providence over Buffalo.
Haha, the days you drink too much, wake up the next morning, walk to work with a massive headache, 2,000 people making a lot of noise (your ears will hurt), you'll want your space in times like that- yet you would probably want people to be around. Just not as much to the point where it would make your head want to explode on those days.

Density has a lot of strong points, but it's got some weak ones too when it exceeds and goes into high density.

Density is one component to overall vibrancy, the other two (IMO) are the mood of the people and the size of the area (how wide roads are, or how spaced out buildings can be) density is just one of three things that bring in the vibrancy.

From it's location Buffalo has a lot of potential to be a great vibrant city, it's got one of the seven natural wonders in the world (enviable trait) right in it's backyard (just a few miles off). It's got a great location. They just need smart city planners, those who can rake in more businesses and attract more people into the city, renovate downtown and make it pedestrian society and bingo! They will have success.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:18 PM

9 posts, read 17,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
Haha, the days you drink too much, wake up the next morning, walk to work with a massive headache, 2,000 people making a lot of noise (your ears will hurt), you'll want your space in times like that- yet you would probably want people to be around. Just not as much to the point where it would make your head want to explode on those days.

Density has a lot of strong points, but it's got some weak ones too when it exceeds and goes into high density.

Density is one component to overall vibrancy, the other two (IMO) are the mood of the people and the size of the area (how wide roads are, or how spaced out buildings can be) density is just one of three things that bring in the vibrancy.

From it's location Buffalo has a lot of potential to be a great vibrant city, it's got one of the seven natural wonders in the world (enviable trait) right in it's backyard (just a few miles off). It's got a great location. They just need smart city planners, those who can rake in more businesses and attract more people into the city, renovate downtown and make it pedestrian society and bingo! They will have success.
Maybe. I think it'd be difficult at this point in time for Buffalo to really boom but you never know.

On another note, I realized that I logged into my old account which I thought I had forgot the password for but I guess not!

Old 08-04-2010, 02:54 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,649 times
I liked Providence more than Buffalo. It's smaller and has more of a New England flavor. I just like New England towns and cities. My personal taste, even having been born and raised in Manhattan.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:02 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times
Unemployment rates in Buffalo is surprisingly low compared to most cities and the job growth is consistently growing. It's having a hard time rebounding in terms of population, and it's actually losing people because of all the snowfall and cold weather it gets (since moving south is becoming more and more popular these days). I actually think next to Syracuse (which I actually like better), Buffalo has more annual snowfall than any other major city in the lower 48. I actually love the amount of snow the 3 cities get- it makes winter interesting IMO.

Providence is struggling in all sorts of ways. I'm not sure if there's any job growth but the economic crash hit hard there and unemployment rates in RI in general went through the roof. I love the city, I love the vibe there, it's a charming, and I prefer it over Buffalo- But I'd rather live in Buffalo for the time being.

Syracuse Vs Providence would of been a more sensible fair comparison. Syracuse would of got my vote.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:18 PM

215 posts, read 384,957 times
Buffalo is very vibrant in the summer. Lots and lots of festivals. Eric County Fair, Taste of Buffalo, Allentown Art Festival, Italian Festival, Canal Fest...etc etc I could go on and on. Anyway, the difference between Buffalo in the spring/summer vs winter is night and day. I think people hibernate in the winter, but the city definitely comes to life in the warmer months. I would also take it over Providence as it's a little bigger, has professional sports teams, great museums and food, Niagara Falls etc

Old 08-04-2010, 05:37 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,914,335 times
I don't get how people are saying it comes down to Boston vs. Toronto. Providence is much closer to Boston than Buffalo is to T.O. More importantly, Providence is more culturally tied to Boston and the Boston commuter rail runs to Providence. People in Boston go to Providence for a cheap ball game, to see a concert, or just to hang out. People in Toronto think Buffalo is kind of a joke (not my opinion, but I know a lot of Torontonians. Don't shoot the messenger!)

I also don't understand the complaints about snow!! I looove snow and it's too bad Providence doesn't get more. My only issue with Buffalo would be that it doesn't have high enough spots nearby to slide down that snow on.

Okay, so I don't want to come off as bashing Buffalo, or even saying Providence wins. I'm undecided and haven't even been to Buffalo. I will say that Buffalo stands on it's own much more than Providence. As I said before, it's connection to Toronto is that it's reasonably close geographically, but the cities are not that tied together. As others said, Buffalo is larger than Providence and has professional sports team. Providence is a small city, in a small state and more reliant on it's position near other cities, Buffalo is the most well-known (although not the largest) of the upstate cities, and is the most important city in a fairly large area of the country.

Two pretty different cities, but I think the comparison is interesting. Can't decide where deserves the nod.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:43 PM

215 posts, read 384,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
I don't get how people are saying it comes down to Boston vs. Toronto. Providence is much closer to Boston than Buffalo is to T.O. More importantly, Providence is more culturally tied to Boston and the Boston commuter rail runs to Providence. People in Boston go to Providence for a cheap ball game, to see a concert, or just to hang out. People in Toronto think Buffalo is kind of a joke (not my opinion, but I know a lot of Torontonians. Don't shoot the messenger!)

I also don't understand the complaints about snow!! I looove snow and it's too bad Providence doesn't get more. My only issue with Buffalo would be that it doesn't have high enough spots nearby to slide down that snow on.

Okay, so I don't want to come off as bashing Buffalo, or even saying Providence wins. I'm undecided and haven't even been to Buffalo. I will say that Buffalo stands on it's own much more than Providence. As I said before, it's connection to Toronto is that it's reasonably close geographically, but the cities are not that tied together. As others said, Buffalo is larger than Providence and has professional sports team. Providence is a small city, in a small state and more reliant on it's position near other cities, Buffalo is the most well-known (although not the largest) of the upstate cities, and is the most important city in a fairly large area of the country.

Two pretty different cities, but I think the comparison is interesting. Can't decide where deserves the nod.
Oh noooooooo, it doesn't come off like that at all

Buffalo and Toronto are tied close together. Hell, the Buffalo Bills play there twice a season and I will never forget one year when a Toronto corporation bought up the remaining playoff tickets and thus the game was not blacked out. Toronto has made up a large portion of Buffalo Bills ticket buyers. It only takes about an hour and a half to get to Toronto from Buffalo. That's not that long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City