Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 01:14 PM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
Aren't a cabinet and a milkshake the same thing? Why did you list a cabinet as a Providence thing if it's just a milkshake? And Del's is just a lemonade truck. Naming random businesses who are good at something can be done for anywhere. I will give you shellfish even though I'm not big on them.

But Buffalo has the best pizza in America imo.

https://www.google.com/search?q=buff...2SAxkQ_AUIBygC
The post you're responding to is 6 years old...

I'll address your concerns since I don't think that poster is accurate and I'm certain you have no idea what you're talking about.

1) Cabinet is a milkshake (frappe if we're using New England words) made with coffee syrup- particularly the autocrat brand, but there are others. coffee milk (and the Autocrat brand of coffee syrup) is a Rhode Island staple. Good luck finding a milkshake made with coffee syrup outside of RI/SE Mass (it's not even close to the flavor of coffee ice cream, so save yourself the keystrokes on the "coffee ice cream is everywhere!" response).

2) Del's is a brand, but it's also a very unique variation of frozen lemonade. I've never tasted anything else like it anywhere. It's hardly "just a lemonade truck." It's THE frozen lemonade in Rhode Island. You can get it in grocery stores, at restaurants, ice cream shops, and yes... at trucks. I have memories of grabbing a Del's at the truck after surfing 2nd beach in Middletown as a teenager. It's absolutely a RI staple.

Pizza- New Haven, CT has the best pizza in the U.S. by many standards and New York City is probably a close second (and there's a big difference between the two styles even though they're so close) or first depending on who you talk to. That being said, Providence is an excellent pizza town. Obviously everyone has different tastes in Pizza, but Providence tends to fare better on "best pizza in the U.S." lists. For example, Travel & Leisure, Food and Wine Magazine, Huffington Post. Overall, Providence is one of the better small cities for food in the country (Thrillist, Huffpo, T&L). Lots of people make the trip from Boston to dine out in PVD. Again, these lists are subjective, but PVD is pretty widely regarded as being excellent for food (and pizza)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 01:57 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,393,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
The post you're responding to is 6 years old...

I'll address your concerns since I don't think that poster is accurate and I'm certain you have no idea what you're talking about.

1) Cabinet is a milkshake (frappe if we're using New England words) made with coffee syrup- particularly the autocrat brand, but there are others. coffee milk (and the Autocrat brand of coffee syrup) is a Rhode Island staple. Good luck finding a milkshake made with coffee syrup outside of RI/SE Mass (it's not even close to the flavor of coffee ice cream, so save yourself the keystrokes on the "coffee ice cream is everywhere!" response).
Of course NE would make coffee milkshakes.

Quote:
2) Del's is a brand, but it's also a very unique variation of frozen lemonade. I've never tasted anything else like it anywhere. It's hardly "just a lemonade truck." It's THE frozen lemonade in Rhode Island. You can get it in grocery stores, at restaurants, ice cream shops, and yes... at trucks. I have memories of grabbing a Del's at the truck after surfing 2nd beach in Middletown as a teenager. It's absolutely a RI staple.
I'm not saying it's not a RI staple. I can see how it's unique and probably pretty good if you like lemons. But if my city had to point out cheeseless pizza and lemonade because someone else that's not me mentioned Buffalo's pizza, etc was better I would be a little embarrassed.

Quote:
Pizza- New Haven, CT has the best pizza in the U.S. by many standards and New York City is probably a close second (and there's a big difference between the two styles even though they're so close) or first depending on who you talk to. That being said, Providence is an excellent pizza town. Obviously everyone has different tastes in Pizza, but Providence tends to fare better on "best pizza in the U.S." lists. For example, Travel & Leisure, Food and Wine Magazine, Huffington Post. Overall, Providence is one of the better small cities for food in the country (Thrillist, Huffpo, T&L). Lots of people make the trip from Boston to dine out in PVD. Again, these lists are subjective, but PVD is pretty widely regarded as being excellent for food (and pizza)
Why the C-D obsession with those rag magazines only when it suits their argument? What a bunch of nonsense. Who in their right mind would put MPLS, San Diego, Nashville and Savannah pizza above Buffalo?

I have pizza at least two days a week no matter what. I've lived as far away as Anchorage and I've lived near Bridgeport/New Haven and I don't see how it's better than Buffalo. Buffalo was the most consistent from joint to joint. The pizza is thick but not too thick (a type of cross between NYC and CHI) and they use spicy cup pepperoni which is much better pepperoni than the rest of the country uses imo. Additionally, anybody who thinks NYC pizza is 2nd in the US is either a huge fan of thin crust or is missing out.

Last edited by joeyg2014; 05-16-2016 at 02:50 PM..

Old 05-16-2016, 02:40 PM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post

I'm not saying it's not a RI staple. I can see how it's unique and probably pretty good if you like lemons. But if my city had to point out cheeseless pizza and lemonade because someone else that's not me mentioned Buffalo's pizza, etc was better I would be a little embarrassed.
I don't think anyone in PVD is embarrassed. It's excellent. Again, Providence is considered one of the better small cities for food in the country. Cheeseless pizza is a local thing and it relies on better crust and sauce. It's not my favorite (I was always disappointed when we ordered "pizza" in school and that was what showed up), but it's not bad. Grilled pizza is much better example of RI style pizza. Not the cheeseless Sicilian style referenced in older posts. It's excellent and yes, it does have cheese.

Quote:
Why the C-D obsession with those rag magazines only when it suits their argument? What a bunch of nonsense. Who in their right mind would put MPLS, San Diego, Nashville and Savannah pizza above Buffalo?
Like I said before, I wouldn't give the actual rankings much thought, but the fact that multiple outlets consider Providence to be among the better towns in the country for food and pizza should make it pretty clear that Providence more than holds its own on that front. I've literally never heard anyone rave about Buffalo's pizza. You may very well like it best, but Providence has made national press for being one of the better places for Pizza. I've seen no mention of Buffalo.

Quote:
I've had pizza and lived as far away as Alaska and I've lived near Bridgeport/New Haven and I don't see how it's better than Buffalo. Buffalo is the most consistent city in my experience.
Most people who have had a white clam and garlic pizza from Pepe's would disagree.

Old 05-16-2016, 02:55 PM

9,909 posts, read 7,692,561 times
Never been to Buffalo. I'll say that Buffalo has some big sports teams. Also water they have the Lakes and not as crowded as Providence area. However, Providence is near the ocean, has art museums, big Italian neighborhood, arts/music venues, and history. It's close to Boston. Winters are probably better in Providence. I say public college options are better in Buffalo though.

Old 05-16-2016, 03:23 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,393,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Like I said before, I wouldn't give the actual rankings much thought, but the fact that multiple outlets consider Providence to be among the better towns in the country for food and pizza should make it pretty clear that Providence more than holds its own on that front. I've literally never heard anyone rave about Buffalo's pizza. You may very well like it best, but Providence has made national press for being one of the better places for Pizza. I've seen no mention of Buffalo.
Because those magazines focus on a $25 pseudo gourmet pizza joint like Al Forno to catch the attention of the types of readers who would read those magazines. Why don't they focus on all of the Domino's around these cities? The whole Buffalo area only has 4 Domino's. Only 2 in all of the suburbs combined. Providence has too many to count. That just tells me people in Buffalo support their local pizza joints for a reason.

Who raves about it makes no difference to me. People rave about NYC pizza and I find it overrated. Noone raves about Detroit style and I find it underrated.

https://www.google.com/search?q=detr...ewCDcQ_AUIBygB

https://www.google.com/search?q=buff...EfB2cQ_AUIBygC

Last edited by joeyg2014; 05-16-2016 at 03:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City