Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2010, 11:20 AM

27,557 posts, read 28,652,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
DC and Baltimore are a little further apart than that and Dallas and Fort Worth are closer. Not to mention city limit to city limit, Dallas and Fort Worth are only a couple of miles apart. And look up the commuting numbers. It'll tell you why Dallas and Fort Worth are one metro and DC and Baltimore are not.
I can understand that. But it's getting to the point where it's almost splitting hairs. DC and Baltimore MSAs are overlapping. There's no break at all between Howard and Montgomery counties. Frederick County is considered part of DC MSA even though it's farther from DC than Baltimore (!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 11:20 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Actually, the company that did this wasn't Business Journal, as they just posted it. Second, the company that did to it used the same metrics as the Census, so the numbers are going to be the pretty much the same. They did the same thing for city limit populations, too, and they were posted here
On this thread or the site? I was looking for that but couldn't find it.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:23 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
African Americans are moving to Atlanta more than any group. Look at the raw numbers.
And where are these raw numbers? Please post a link showing this.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:26 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I can understand that. But it's getting to the point where it's almost splitting hairs. DC and Baltimore MSAs are overlapping. There's no break at all between Howard and Montgomery counties. Frederick County is considered part of DC MSA even though it's farther from DC than Baltimore (!).
Washington DC & Baltimore have nothing to worry about, I can see large commuter percentages between both already, if they keep that as an increase and reach 25% they'll get there. I will look at commuter numbers in just a moment.

Do you know if they plan to add faster train service between both? If they do then it's going to happen really soon.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:29 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
Washington DC & Baltimore have nothing to worry about, I can see large commuter percentages between both already, if they keep that as an increase and reach 25% they'll get there. I will look at commuter numbers in just a moment.

Do you know if they plan to add faster train service between both? If they do then it's going to happen really soon.
the trains really only help to both cores and not the overlap (they from either metro connect at best in New Carrolton I believe), oddly I believe that it is Annarundal that actually creates the current connection which of just east of the core line of development

Old 08-06-2010, 12:35 PM

686 posts, read 1,167,565 times
Glad to see Houston on the move. I hope we can keep up the growth but I'm skpetical. With NASA resources and jobs being downscaled or diverted to Florida and with the Moratoriam on Oil Drilling (companies allegedly threatening to take their operations overseas) I can our economic growth taking a moderate hit. How that will affect population growth, who knows. The only thing I can assume is that until something legit is done we will always grow due to illegal immigration. The question is will we be able to sustain legitimate migration as we have in the past couple of decades.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:43 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Dallas 1.1
Ft Worth 1.11
LMAO, you will give poor Lada a heart attack

Old 08-06-2010, 01:16 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,762,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
LMAO, you will give poor Lada a heart attack
Y'all are jealous of Dallas.

ladarron not Lada.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:36 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,371,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouTXmetro View Post
Glad to see Houston on the move. I hope we can keep up the growth but I'm skpetical. With NASA resources and jobs being downscaled or diverted to Florida and with the Moratoriam on Oil Drilling (companies allegedly threatening to take their operations overseas) I can our economic growth taking a moderate hit. How that will affect population growth, who knows. The only thing I can assume is that until something legit is done we will always grow due to illegal immigration. The question is will we be able to sustain legitimate migration as we have in the past couple of decades.
No, things changed for NASA, the Obama proposals failed, Houston is good about it
And oil drilling doesn't have a real effect on the economy.

Don't forget : Houston has a boom in the green energy, the medical sector (texas medical center had 75,000 jobs in 2009 but will have 105,000 jobs in 2013).The oil is not so important in Houston now, the huge growth will continue this decade.This population growth develops the retail sector in Houston, and the real estate sector too

Old 08-06-2010, 01:38 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
True but trust. There is more continuous development between Dallas and Fort Worth and there is between Washington and Baltimore right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City