Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2010, 12:31 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Do you believe that Houston will ever fill in and get as dense as Philly?
I don't think a lot of people will want it to get that dense. we just are not as crazy about density as you guys are (although I think CD is more density crazed than most people).

I think it will develop fairly denser clusters surrounded by seas of beautiful single family unit neighborhoods.

Clusters are already happening all over the city, but most sunbelt cities spread out for a reason. its only people who don't live here think we don't like it, or will stop liking it in a few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 12:45 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I don't think a lot of people will want it to get that dense. we just are not as crazy about density as you guys are (although I think CD is more density crazed than most people).

I think it will develop fairly denser clusters surrounded by seas of beautiful single family unit neighborhoods.

Clusters are already happening all over the city, but most sunbelt cities spread out for a reason. its only people who don't live here think we don't like it, or will stop liking it in a few years.

I honestly dont care one way or another for densisty - the only correlation is many of my favorite neighborhoods have high density, but there are also many neighborhoods i do not like that have them. But to me it is an estimator as to weather the city will likely have my preferred environment, nothing more or less

Old 08-18-2010, 12:45 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times
Quote:

Yeah, I don't know if most people in the NE believe that people in the sunbelt cities will stop liking it. My perception is that traffic, emissions, fuel costs, natural resource availability, etc. will eventually lead to less of a desire to drive so much. I also believe that younger generations will become seduced by how nice it is to walk and take public transportation vs. being in a car so much. It's a very different lifestyle to me.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:54 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I honestly dont care one way or another for densisty - the only correlation is many of my favorite neighborhoods have high density, but there are also many neighborhoods i do not like that have them. But to me it is an estimator as to weather the city will likely have my preferred environment, nothing more or less
Agreed. It produces an environment that cannot be created otherwise (block after block of restaurants, shops, entertainment, street culture, etc.). I also agree that it can be bad. Some streets in Philly are pure concrete with no trees and can be pretty rough.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I don't know if most people in the NE believe that people in the sunbelt cities will stop liking it. My perception is that traffic, emissions, fuel costs, natural resource availability, etc. will eventually lead to less of a desire to drive so much. I also believe that younger generations will become seduced by how nice it is to walk and take public transportation vs. being in a car so much. It's a very different lifestyle to me.
well land and Oil is a lot cheaper here. I don't think we are too worried about that right now. In addition Houston is a forerunner on green energy, so even though it is still relatively cheap, we are already thinking ahead. We have abundant natural resources. lots of water lots of trees. And don't count out those youngsters yet. There are many on here who like not driving that is why I say there will be some pockets, but a load of kids absolutely love having their own cars.

A lot of you (I am not saying you in particular) act like planning in Houston is backward, the government isn't doing anything, bla bla bla. But in actually this is a democratic process. these things come up for a vote all the time. And they get lack luster support. The people are clear on these issues. They love their darn cars. Personally I am with y'all on public transportation. I walk and ride the bus and trains 95% of the time. But you are not gonna convince me that a car loving city like Houston is gonna love public transportation anytime soon

Old 08-18-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Agreed. It produces an environment that cannot be created otherwise (block after block of restaurants, shops, entertainment, street culture, etc.). I also agree that it can be bad. Some streets in Philly are pure concrete with no trees and can be pretty rough.
If you take a stroll through Montrose, Heights and Midtown for example, there are blocks and blocks of restaurants, shops, entertainment, etc. You don't have to be super dense to have all of that.

I appreciate having all of these available to me without having to live in a concrete jungle. People appreciate the space they have here. Although they may curse the traffic (unbelieveably bad traffic that is far far far from being new) they would not give up the type of living for denser NE living.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
There are a couple of things that gets missed when comparing these types of cities is this:

One newer cities will never be like cities that developed earlier, right, worng, or indifferent
Also -the same type of living that Houston offers is actually offered in nearly every major metro including Philly. To me the biggest difference is in the core, that lifestyle is really not available in newer cities, and my preferred so it is a bias. But every type of suburban lifestyle is prety much in the Philly area. Also the the difference in areas is a function of two things, age of development and people. There ARE more people in the area that sorrounds Philly than Houston, that is FACT. How they get counted and assigned is really mostly a silly argument. There are larger areas in the realm of the broader area, and the infrastructure, highways, rail etc developed differently. So the additional cores are draws in and of themselves and most people in those areas keep their commutes at shorter distances, thus smaller commuter rates. On access (que CHIATLDAL) it exists as well as functionality, just different interpaly (people head in all directions because there is more in every direction). The areas in the middle are actually very similar to a city like Houston, newer suburbs, people with long commutes on jammed highways. So really it doesnt matter too much. Both are great cities with much to be proud of, seriously. Some choose one or another or a different one, all good.

Just because HTown is confused doesn't mean anyone should beat him up, jk
LOl I partially agree with you. Do a little google search of Houston pre-desegregation. Do the same for Dallas and ATL. They all had vibrant downtowns that would have been slapping Philly silly right now if two things did not happen.
1. White Flight
2. Popularization of the Automobile and our road systems

The midtown area was basically drained a couple of decades after the 1950's.

The sunbelt cities could have developed ala Phily and the rest of the NE cities, but they chose not to.

And yet the sunbelty is still doing well for itself. The airports in ATL, DFW and Houston are some of the biggest and busiest in the world.

Houston kicks ass in perfoming arts. The Museum of Natural Science in Houston is one of the most visited natural science museum in the country. We have a thriving museum and theater district (only broadway has more seats).

ATL is huge in the entertainment industry. Heck you hear more about ATL nowadays than you do Philly.

Dallas I don't know. I never really here about Dallas on Tv but some people seem to think it is really well known, but I can't think of what.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
LOl I partially agree with you. Do a little google search of Houston pre-desegregation. Do the same for Dallas and ATL. They all had vibrant downtowns that would have been slapping Philly silly right now if two things did not happen.
1. White Flight
2. Popularization of the Automobile and our road systems

The midtown area was basically drained a couple of decades after the 1950's.

The sunbelt cities could have developed ala Phily and the rest of the NE cities, but they chose not to.

And yet the sunbelty is still doing well for itself. The airports in ATL, DFW and Houston are some of the biggest and busiest in the world.

Houston kicks ass in perfoming arts. The Museum of Natural Science in Houston is one of the most visited natural science museum in the country. We have a thriving museum and theater district (only broadway has more seats).

ATL is huge in the entertainment industry. Heck you hear more about ATL nowadays than you do Philly.

Dallas I don't know. I never really here about Dallas on Tv but some people seem to think it is really well known, but I can't think of what.

On your first point, um not exactely but maybe closer - development that took place after 1950, your time criteria, was suburban in nature, everywhere including the NE.

On Airports, yes, and you know why right? There was no land to put those behemoths in older cities

On Arts - houston is admirable and getting better, but are saying the arts are better in houston, just curious? And on seats, probably more relevant is number of people that fill those seats, like haveing a big stadium that is half empty or a limted schedule. But all this said again I agree and Houston continues to get better, actually a great thing the city is investing in...

On the ATL, yeah sort of, riddle me this though, who now has the bigger media Headquarters? That owns some of those broadcasting from the ATL

on Dallas, may be perception, just seems to be synonmous with Texas

Old 08-18-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
On your first point, um not exactely but maybe closer - development that took place after 1950, your time criteria, was suburban in nature, everywhere including the NE.

On Airports, yes, and you know why right? There was no land to put those behemoths in older cities

On Arts - houston is admirable and getting better, but are saying the arts are better in houston, just curious? And on seats, probably more relevant is number of people that fill those seats, like haveing a big stadium that is half empty or a limted schedule. But all this said again I agree and Houston continues to get better, actually a great thing the city is investing in...

On the ATL, yeah sort of, riddle me this though, who now has the bigger media Headquarters? That owns some of those broadcasting from the ATL

on Dallas, may be perception, just seems to be synonmous with Texas
Ha ha your second point answered the flaw in your first point. The suburbs were brought about by white flight. While you guys could only move so much, we had the land to spring far out and in fill later. So I am still correct on my point one
As for the arts you know darn well I am not saying better. I am saying that for as much as you guys put us down we still kick ass. You saw that is exactly what I said

One trip to our Theaters and you will see that they are highly patronized (my school forced us to go for extra credit )

As for media headquarters how the heck would I know? all I said is that I hear about ATL more. MTV generation you know.

As for Texas, when I was moving Here I had only heard of Houston, never heard of the other cities, and I didn't know Houston was in Texas. I had heard of the spurs and the Mavs, but I am not big on basketball so I didn't know where they played. Rockets were big during my early teens so when they won those championships Houston was all over the airwaves

Old 08-18-2010, 01:56 PM

U Know I am just always showing some Brotherly love for HTown, Love. (this required an emoticon, or cold shower, not sure which)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City