Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2010, 01:59 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,768,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
how did you come up with the calculation may I ask? If you just divided the MSA by the urban area then you can't honestly say 1 in 4 people live in a rural area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 02:02 PM

686 posts, read 1,161,198 times
Yeah, 288 South is an example of an open area inside of the city with vast development potential and we could "IN-FILL" there. Also Just East of downtown those closed Warehouses are being torn down and replaced with townhomes and apartments. Once the East End Light Rail is completed that area is going to explode. I will not be suprised to see some High Rise Condo's go up just East of Downtown hence adding more strength to the skyline. There is already a new stadium going up in that area for the Houston Dynamo and Texas Southern University.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:04 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,678,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
how did you come up with the calculation may I ask? If you just divided the MSA by the urban area then you can't honestly say 1 in 4 people live in a rural area.

UA Census Defined Population/MSA Defined Census Population

It demonstrates one of or both as a barometer of non cohesive develop and/or rural population

This calculation had zero to do with any land area measurements.

UA Population/MSA Population (Both census defined population counts)

Old 08-19-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I find it interesting that southern cities have almost the opposite strategy to development and land layout that earlier cities did (for several fairly obvious reasons). For example, if Philly wants to layout new construction anywhere near the city, it likely has to "redevelop". Houston does, and most likely, will not for reasons of a lack of space (vs. for a specific lot in downtown).

I know this thread was originally started to discuss Houston passing Philly in MSA numbers, but what I think is the more important question is "is Houston's development and infrastructure sustainable to fill in all of the gaps that it still has, thus increasing density"? I know Houston will never pass Philly's density, but will Houston be less desirable as the MSA continues to grow (and we know it will)? More traffic issues, increased taxes for massive PT installments, etc....some of which I know has already been in effect.

Every city hits a wall at some point...some of the time it can have a national influence (like the 60s to 2000s for up north). I wonder how the southern-style of city development would respond to this type of population recession.

I think you got it totally wrong. as it gets denser, people will have to travel less to get things. The major reason why people spent so much time on the highways was because the gaps between developments were so large. now you have no reason to Live Sugarland for anything, no reason to leave Pearland, No reason to leave Katy. The area will have more cohesive density so public transportation will be more efficient. You northerners really don't understand Houston's development

Old 08-19-2010, 02:08 PM

882 posts, read 2,236,069 times
Quote:
Every city hits a wall at some point...some of the time it can have a national influence (like the 60s to 2000s for up north). I wonder how the southern-style of city development would respond to this type of population recession.
False, not every city hits a wall. Some cities just experience much slower growth than before. And Houston, I think, is one of those cities that will always grow, and it never in its history has lost population, and as society modernizes to handle issues that in the past seemed problematic, I don't think Houston will ever hit a wall for reasons not due to natural disaster and other hypothetical situtations of the like. This isn't the 20th century anymore. I'm not saying Houston is going to keep growing like crazy, it eventually will slow down, but I don't think its going to hit a wall either. Though anything can happen.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
UA Census Defined Population/MSA Defined Census Population

It demonstrates one of or both as a barometer of non cohesive develop and/or rural population

This calculation had zero to do with any land area measurements.

UA Population/MSA Population (Both census defined population counts)
If I live in on a big plot of land 5 minutes in all directions from dense areas I do not live in a rural area. The rural areas of Houston are on the far flung areas of counties such as Austin, montgomery etc, where they are close enough to be considered part of the MSA but surrounded by rural land. many cities that are not included in Houston's UA would laugh at the though of being considered rural.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouTXmetro View Post
Yeah, 288 South is an example of an open area inside of the city with vast development potential and we could "IN-FILL" there. Also Just East of downtown those closed Warehouses are being torn down and replaced with townhomes and apartments. Once the East End Light Rail is completed that area is going to explode. I will not be suprised to see some High Rise Condo's go up just East of Downtown hence adding more strength to the skyline. There is already a new stadium going up in that area for the Houston Dynamo and Texas Southern University.
Yeah and apart from all that space there are lots of abandoned building in the midtown area that could be torn down for new developments. It has started already. The face of Midtown is changing fast

Old 08-19-2010, 02:14 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,678,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
If I live in on a big plot of land 5 minutes in all directions from dense areas I do not live in a rural area. The rural areas of Houston are on the far flung areas of counties such as Austin, montgomery etc, where they are close enough to be considered part of the MSA but surrounded by rural land. many cities that are not included in Houston's UA would laugh at the though of being considered rural.

Yes and no - either way is a completely legitimate value

UA alllow for 2 mile jumps in development and also preserved land/national forests, water etc.

And honestly 1,000 ppsm is very generous, hardly urban at all, really not even suburban, less than one person (not dwelling) per football field...

Old 08-19-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Yes and no - either way is a completely legitimate value

UA alllow for 2 mile jumps in development and also preserved land/national forests, water etc.

And honestly 1,000 ppsm is very generous, hardly urban at all, really not even suburban, less than one person (not dwelling) per football field...
I am not saying it is not a legitimate value. yes, Philly is waaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more urban than Houston. But it is not accurate that 1 in 4 people in Houston live in a rural area when 95 percent of the people who live in the area live withing 5 miles of whatever they need

and you do see people with houses on football sized lots living right in the shadow of hi rises. go tell them they are rural. youb underestimate the size of lots some people have in certain areas of the MSA

Old 08-19-2010, 02:26 PM

4,819 posts, read 6,045,854 times
Quote:
I know very little of Atlanta, but would you say you can walk to all of those neighborhoods you mentioned without getting in the car or taking a train to the other side of the city? If so, I may need to visit!
Quote:
I have spent time this year in two of those three, and NO it isnt even close, maybe later but not now. Great hoods but not even close, nice try though. Plus they are bit isolated from other area, I dont think you understand what i am speaking of but thanks for the effort
To AJNEOA
I need a neighborhood map, Many intown Atlanta neighborhoods were built for streetcars and not automobiles. So technically you can and it’s walkable, streets are not wide and their sidewalks everyway. But you may not want to try it all in one day to walk from East central Atlanta to East Atlanta you have to, walk though cabbagetown, and your choice of Reynoldstown or Grant Park but Gant Park will cause you to walk around the zoo but there all medium-high density neighborhoods. Besides the Lindbergh area everything abuts Downtown and midtown. The Lindbergh area would be too much again sidewalks the hold way up Piedmont Ave very possible but it's too much of a walk. In the future the Beltline will make it easier to go up from Inman park and Reynoldstown to near the Lindbergh area right now Lindbergh has a Marta station but you said with out riding rail.

Warning Google Map is outdate LOL because some of these areas are developed more than the image.

East Atlanta
East Atlanta village - Google Maps

Glenwood park - Google Maps

East Central Atlanta
Inman park village - Google Maps

Virginia Highland - Google Maps

Central Atlanta
Midtown Atlanta - Google Maps

Atlantic Station - Google Maps

West Central
Midtown West - Google Maps

South Central
castleberry hill - Google Maps

the only one that trully isolated, but beltline will fix this problem
Lindbergh - Google Maps

To Kidphilly all these areas have street front residential area, retail, bars, coffee shops and etc, their urban. It doesn’t matter what you say it is, what it is. Those are just a few examples their's a few more spots, their will be alot more when the Beltline get farther along. But you said the Philly life style I take it you mean urban dosen't exist, when it do that was a overly Generalization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City