Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2010, 05:57 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,581,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
Okay, first: no one can rightfully dispute the validity of the stats mentioned earlier: Texas is the largest state in area among the lower 48, it contains the second-highest population of any state, it has three of the top 10 cities, it has two of the top 10 MSA's, etc. Very impressive indeed.
But to be fair, I must point out the obvious: The first item on that list (largest state in area among the 48) is the key factor that allows Texas to lay claim to all the other "super stats". In other words, if all states were 268,820 freakin' square miles, Texas wouldn't seem quite as impressive, would it?
And certainly, it all depends where the state lines had been drawn. What if Texas was originally established without the Dallas-Ft Worth area, which ended up being in Oklahoma?
What I'm getting at is, that TX has the big advantage of being, well, BIG. It's silly to compare it to other states. What chance do little RI and DE have?
It's a lot like an owner of a 100-acre estate boasting "I have more trees and wildlife than my friend who lives in an apartment!" Duh.
Most of the population lives in the Texas Triangle which is about 60,000 square miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 06:07 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
Most of the population lives in the Texas Triangle which is about 60,000 square miles.
yeah, and that Texas Triangle has 3 of the top ten biggest cities in the US. It has a hell of an economy, two of the top busiest airports in the Country and 4 of the top 50 biggest (IAH, DFW, Hobby and LOVE). I would like to see anything around St Louis try to match that

Old 08-18-2010, 06:12 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
Htownlove nice work with the stats on the economy, I just learned quite a bit by that. Thank you.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:24 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
If you think Energy only = Oil in Houston you should read this:
Great stats. Thanks for posting those.

It's not that I think that oil = Houston. It's that oil is king and all the energy that the US sucks up is a major drain on oil reserves. I'm thrilled that places like Houston are centers for research and green energy (should have been started 40 years ago). The problem is that alternative energies are great for the less taxing, less industrial jobs. Research and construction for green/alternative energies utilize oil. Oil is ingrained in everything we do, and there is NO sufficient energy that will be ready to replace oil anytime in the next 20 years.

Now, if people were more conservative with their use of energy (e.g. not driving everywhere they go..using PT), that would buy quite an extensive lifeline in terms of oil availability in the future. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the giants in the Oil business keep pushing forward with alternative energy research, and don't try to act like oil will never run out (like was done decades ago).

Old 08-18-2010, 06:31 PM

Yes, it is taxing and ingrained in everything we do, and Houston is smart to have gotten in on it early so that 30 percent of everything we do in the US involves oil from Houston. However, we are also smart to have backups so that we wont have a mid 1980s again

Old 08-18-2010, 06:35 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Other than the tree thing, the other stuff you said in Atlanta. Yes there's, East Atlanta village, Glenwood park, Inman park village, Midtown, Atlantic Station, Midtown West, Virginia Highland, castleberry hill, lindbergh Area, and etc "block after block of restaurants, shops, entertainment, street culture, etc". Of course not as many but to say "that lifestyle is really not available in newer cities" is just flat out wrong. They're plenty of intown neighborhoods that match yall description yall just made abroad generalization. If you want to live in a dense walkable neighborhood live in a dense walkable neighborhood. You don't have live in a low dense neighborhood, so it just kills me when some one says I don't like blank because it sprawls, as if they have to live in the sprawl if they decided to live there. The same goes for Houston and Dallas.
Better Know a Neighborhood #2: Virginia Highland on Vimeo,
Better Know a Neighborhood #1: Old Fourth Ward on Vimeo,
Better Know a Neighborhood #4: Midtown on Vimeo
I know very little of Atlanta, but would you say you can walk to all of those neighborhoods you mentioned without getting in the car or taking a train to the other side of the city? If so, I may need to visit!

Last edited by AJNEOA; 08-18-2010 at 07:07 PM..

Old 08-18-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I know very little of Atlanta, but would you say you can walk to all of those neighborhoods you mentioned without getting in the car or taking a train to the other side of the city? If so, I may need to visit!
In Houston you can walk from Montrose, To Museum District, to Binz, to Rice Village to West U

Old 08-18-2010, 08:26 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,216,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
In Houston you can walk from Montrose, To Museum District, to Binz, to Rice Village to West U

I 'll tell you what chief. Have your great great great grandchild get back to mine in about 100 years. And then maybe they will have some thing to talk about concerning urban affairs and Houston.

Philadlephia - Where there are a continuous 125 neighborhoods if you have the stamina.

Last edited by CaseyB; 08-19-2010 at 04:12 AM.. Reason: rude

Old 08-18-2010, 08:29 PM

123 posts, read 157,688 times
Hey what's going on in this thread. To all the people from Philly u live in a great urban city ok there is no need to get. Worked up about some population numbers. It doesn't take away from your status..

Old 08-18-2010, 08:47 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
thank you.

Which is part of the reason to why they're redevelopment and infill projects but I doubt their be this revolution that people stop driving and wanting to live large home lots in suburbs. What going to happen their will be more diversity of living, transportation options. And it’s not just in the cities they're infill projects in the suburbs. You ask someone “Do you believe that Houston will ever fill in and get as dense as Philly?” Sunbelt cities residents and leaders don’t want their cities to be as dense a Philly just fulfill the demand for it, so in even for you scenario there’s a answer.

Other than the tree thing, the other stuff you said in Atlanta. Yes there's, East Atlanta village, Glenwood park, Inman park village, Midtown, Atlantic Station, Midtown West, Virginia Highland, castleberry hill, lindbergh Area, and etc "block after block of restaurants, shops, entertainment, street culture, etc". Of course not as many but to say "that lifestyle is really not available in newer cities" is just flat out wrong. They're plenty of intown neighborhoods that match yall description yall just made abroad generalization. If you want to live in a dense walkable neighborhood live in a dense walkable neighborhood. You don't have live in a low dense neighborhood, so it just kills me when some one says I don't like blank because it sprawls, as if they have to live in the sprawl if they decided to live there. The same goes for Houston and Dallas.
Better Know a Neighborhood #2: Virginia Highland on Vimeo,
Better Know a Neighborhood #1: Old Fourth Ward on Vimeo,
Better Know a Neighborhood #4: Midtown on Vimeo

I have spent time this year in two of those three, and NO it isnt even close, maybe later but not now. Great hoods but not even close, nice try though. Plus they are bit isolated from other area, I dont think you understand what i am speaking of but thanks for the effort
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City