Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 01:38 PM
Led

145 posts, read 423,194 times

Advertisements

I'm leaning more towards NYC rather than Boston, it seems like Quebec City would be a better fit when comparing to Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 02:17 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
There is no U.S. city like Montreal. You have to go to Paris to see where that came from.

Old 08-05-2010, 02:36 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,721,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
There is no U.S. city like Montreal. You have to go to Paris to see where that came from.
If Montreal was a US city:

NYC

Chicago
LA

DC
SanFran
Montreal
Philly
Miami
Boston

Detroit
Houston
DFW
ATL
San Diego

Old 08-05-2010, 03:05 PM

882 posts, read 2,244,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post

NYC

Chicago
LA

DC
SanFran
Montreal
Philly
Miami
Boston

Detroit
Houston
DFW
ATL
San Diego
Care to explain why Montreal would rank so high? It would be one of the smallest MSA of the major metros, its economy isn't that big, sure its got great culture, urbanity, and architecture, but even though its one of the top 3 cities in Canada, in the US it would have to compete among the top 15 cities. I know the city's economy well enough, and if it were in the US, it would be a Seattle: major regional city. Important regionally, less so nationally, but enough to be recognized.(More important than Seattle, I'm not saying SEA is the best comparios city)

Old 08-05-2010, 03:08 PM
Led

145 posts, read 423,194 times
I'd still rank it above SF, though.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:22 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,268,463 times
I'd say Montreal is most similar to Boston and San Francisco in terms of size and amount of cultural activities although it does share similarities with New Orleans as well. Quebec City would be a better fit with New Orleans except for the complete opposite weather. Toronto is very similar to Chicago and Vancouver is obviously a lot alike Seattle. There is nothing in Canada that rivals NY.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:24 PM

224 posts, read 604,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post

NYC

Chicago
LA

DC
SanFran
Montreal
Philly
Miami
Boston

Detroit
Houston
DFW
ATL
San Diego
How the hell is DC ranked over Montreal? I mean really, DC?

Old 08-06-2010, 05:58 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,914,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgear View Post
it is the seat of our government. mildly important....

I think Montreal and Boston are kinda alike, I guess as much as any US city is like Montreal. Although I see the NYC-Montreal Boston-Quebec city idea too, with the quebec versions obviously being much much smaller than their respective us city.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:02 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgear View Post
Well you know maybe because it's just the most economically stable major metropolitan area in the country right now. Experiencing a major population boom, is the national capital. Did I forget anything else? Oh yeah the laws and regulations and bailouts all come out of there.

It is also one of the richest areas in the country along with it's GDP being the 5th largest by MSA and 3rd largest by CSA...

Maybe that's why. What does Montreal have that can push it to being more relevant than Washington DC? Lol, not a knock to Montreal, I have been and it is quite nice, but I don't think it's anywhere near the same league to be honest.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:08 PM

224 posts, read 604,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
Well you know maybe because it's just the most economically stable major metropolitan area in the country right now. Experiencing a major population boom, is the national capital. Did I forget anything else? Oh yeah the laws and regulations and bailouts all come out of there.

It is also one of the richest areas in the country along with it's GDP being the 5th largest by MSA and 3rd largest by CSA...

Maybe that's why. What does Montreal have that can push it to being more relevant than Washington DC? Lol, not a knock to Montreal, I have been and it is quite nice, but I don't think it's anywhere near the same league to be honest.
Typically in these city vs city comparisons they focus on quality of life, culture, entertainment options ect, on that basis Dc fails to win any of those bouts. It is no doubt an Economic champion over Montreal but on any other count, it does not have a clear cut victory. As a place to live, enjoy life, raise a family DC is in no competition. City vs city proper without places like NoVa not taken into consideration, Montreal is the preferred cultural center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City