Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 11:46 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,051,693 times

Advertisements

The people on C-D that bash Orlando don't really know anything about it. They think they know everything because they have been to I-drive and Disney. The real Orlando is NOT a super tacky utopia. The core areas around downtown are historic, cosmopolitan, trendy, and pretty. I think Miami should be ranked higher that it was in this list, but Orlando's downtown is the 2nd best in the state at worst, and features boatloads of nightlife in a very compact area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 11:47 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,169,020 times
I think las Vegas is on the cool list because of all the entertainment, but yes people are right when they say it's fake or tacky.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:59 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,943,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalUrbanBalence View Post
To Orflausa:

I have been to Orlando. The theme parks are nice but I find Orlando lame. I also find Las Vegas lame based on what I know about it, sorry.
Dont take it personally.

LMAO! What is the point of those pictures?
That just proves to me Las Vegas is tacky for trying to copy the Space needle, and at a horrible attempt at it.

I gave you a +1 rep point for proving my point.

Also, thats not a good picture of the space needle in Seattle. The space needle looks best from Kerry park and some other spots.

Also Seattle has other nice architecture than just the Space Needle.
I didn't pick the most flattering picture of the Stratosphere either. It was really a non-point but fun. I've just noticed with Seattle posters lately a slight collective delusion. Seattle is great, definitely should have made the list but to say Orlando is lame is definitely an opinion. When I said you haven't been to Orlando I wasn't talking about theme parks so maybe you're talking about the attractions area of Orlando. There's an entire part of Orlando you wouldn't know unless you went to a Magic game to watch them play the Seattle Super.... I mean OKC Thunder. Loosing your NBA team to OKC=lame, but don't take it personally.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
The people on C-D that bash Orlando don't really know anything about it. They think they know everything because they have been to I-drive and Disney. The real Orlando is NOT a super tacky utopia. The core areas around downtown are historic, cosmopolitan, trendy, and pretty. I think Miami should be ranked higher that it was in this list, but Orlando's downtown is the 2nd best in the state at worst, and features boatloads of nightlife in a very compact area.
Yeah and add that to the so called "tacky" parts of Orlando that over 48 million people a year flock to and you have a "lame" metro right. Oh well, looks like our secret oasis of a cool metro area is safe for now, just you, me, and Forbes Magazine know about it.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:03 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
Quote:
Pete, in a way I am really sort of glad that all the tourists think they have been to Orlando when they see the attractions area.

I love the core of Orlando - and one of the main reasons is that it feels SO removed from the theme park area. I really don't want the tourists to "discover" Downtown, Winter Park, College Park, etc. They would absolutely ruin it, imo.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Pete, in a way I am really sort of glad that all the tourists think they have been to Orlando when they see the attractions area.

I love the core of Orlando - and one of the main reasons is that it feels SO removed from the theme park area. I really don't want the tourists to "discover" Downtown, Winter Park, College Park, etc. They would absolutely ruin it, imo.
@ John: As much as I miss Church Street being what it used to be, CityWalk & DT Disney were the best things to happen to DT Orlando to lure the tourists away. I thank God every day that unlike Vegas, I cannot see the I-Drive skyline from anywhere in the Metro. There really is a true divide like you suggest at Conroy Road.

@ Everyone else, if you're asking yourself, what's "Church Street", then you've proved my point, you don't know Orlando. That's like me claiming to know Atlanta after going to the Coke Factory or GA Aquarium.

Last edited by OrlFlaUsa; 08-06-2010 at 12:17 PM.. Reason: forgot word

Old 08-06-2010, 12:36 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,051,693 times
johntal: Agreed. It's amazing how different the worlds are. I like having both, and having them totally separate from each other. BTW, have you been to the Imperial at Washburn Imports yet? Interesting concept for a wine bar.

OrlFlaUsa: what is promising about the Amway Center is the effect it will have on Church St. I really hope this revives it once and for all, but for the locals. Provided Parramore keeps developing as it is and turning into a nicer neighborhood, it will work out. The SunRail stop combined with concerts and Magic games should ensure a flow of people the likes of which that area has not seen in many years.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
OrlFlaUsa: what is promising about the Amway Center is the effect it will have on Church St. I really hope this revives it once and for all, but for the locals. Provided Parramore keeps developing as it is and turning into a nicer neighborhood, it will work out. The SunRail stop combined with concerts and Magic games should ensure a flow of people the likes of which that area has not seen in many years.
Excellent points. That's part of the reason I don't care that parking went up to $20 at the Amway Center itself. I'll be parking elsewhere in DT for free and walking, grabbing the Lymo, or taking SunRail from Altamonte so that I can safely pregame before the game. Also, I don't mind if some tourists come back to Church Street as a result, I'm just glad that they have other options on the "Dark Side" that will keep them at bay.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:17 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,687,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post

I agree. I'm glad that, unlike Vegas, Orlandos tourist corridor is separate from its downtown core.. It allows me to feel as if I'm living in a normal mid sized metro of 2 million. The core of metro Orlando (downtown, college park, winter park, etc) offers true urban/trendy neighborhoods, night life, major venues, museums, fine dinning, and more... Then all you have to do is drive down I-4 10 mins in your in a huge world famous tourist corridor that offers world class entertainment, shopping, etc. where you literally see people from all around the world, speaking all types of languages. I like that we have the option into going into that area, unlike in Vegas where your gonna have to deal with a ton of tourists in order to enjoy a nice night out.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:26 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,210,712 times
Forbes sure has some odd lists. Where do they get this stuff anyway?

1. (tied) New York City metro - Um, yeah. It's NYC after all
1. (tied) Las Vegas metro - fun? Yes. Cool? No. Vegas is totally commercialized these days. Maybe back during the Rat Pack days it was cool.
3. Seattle metro - stopped being cool a decade ago. Has gone yuppie. Portland is the "cool" city in that neck of the woods.
4. Chicago metro - Yes, but probably not as cool as it should be. Pure size puts it on the list though.
5. Oakland-San Francisco metro - Yes, SF has always been cool because it attracts interesting characters. Oakland is cool because of Epic Beard Man alone.
6. Orlando metro - Um no. Theme parks are not cool, and that's what the city is known for.
7. San Diego metro - Gnarly Dude!
8. Las Angeles metro - Of Course, in a D-bag sort of way.
9. Miami metro - muy chevere
10. D.C. metro - Maybe for bureaucrats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City