Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 04:15 PM

98 posts, read 204,195 times

Advertisements

Where should a 29 year old professional and 31 year old bartender move...Austin or Denver?

One of us is from Houston and the other is from Boston. So one of us is used to cold and the other is used to hot.

Please compare and contrast the two cities and help us make a decision!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 04:52 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Both are a great option and they are both booming economically and are very pretty cities.

Can both of you compromise to the same weather or does one of you have to make that big sacrifice when it comes to weather?

Old 08-05-2010, 06:38 PM

I think the weather isn't that important. For me, I am used to heat, but would welcome a change of climate and the same goes for him.

We like the outdoors, but are not outdoorsy per se. For instance, if beautiful mountains, hills, lakes, rivers are all around, i would definitely want to hike more, go jogging, float the river, perhaps skiing. But I will not be snowshoeing in 15 degree weather or climbing some rock in 110 degree weather. We are definitely more city people than country/nature people. We love music, eating out at interesting, non-chain restaurants, going to a laid back bar or patio and drinking beer/margaritas.

Sports are cool, but my boyfriend is more into his Boston teams, so I don't think sports matter.

I have been to both cities many times, but am having a very very tough time!

Old 08-05-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimeenp View Post
I think the weather isn't that important. For me, I am used to heat, but would welcome a change of climate and the same goes for him.

We like the outdoors, but are not outdoorsy per se. For instance, if beautiful mountains, hills, lakes, rivers are all around, i would definitely want to hike more, go jogging, float the river, perhaps skiing. But I will not be snowshoeing in 15 degree weather or climbing some rock in 110 degree weather. We are definitely more city people than country/nature people. We love music, eating out at interesting, non-chain restaurants, going to a laid back bar or patio and drinking beer/margaritas.

Sports are cool, but my boyfriend is more into his Boston teams, so I don't think sports matter.

I have been to both cities many times, but am having a very very tough time!
I would go with Denver. It offers just a little bit more of a outdoor recreational opportunity than Austin and yes that is taking into account the winter.

16th Street in Denver is very comparable to 6th Street in Austin. I'm basing that off personal experience, lol.

Overall I feel you on this one, I would have a tough time picking too. But I think Denver is just a tad bit ahead of Austin on your overall criteria.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:12 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,170,272 times
I choose Denver

Old 08-06-2010, 07:30 AM

Ok, I am breaking down into categories...

Music: Austin > Denver - Hands down in the genre I listen to...SXSW, ACL, Fun Fun Fun Fest, plus lots on an average weekend.

Walkability: Denver > Austin - I noticed more walkable neighborhoods in town, like Uptown, Cap Hill, Cheesman Park, Baker. If i picked the right place, i could even walk to work, when the weather is nice.

Taxes: Austin > Denver - State income tax, yuck. TX does have a high prop tax, but i will be paying that no matter what bc i am keeping my house no matter where i go

Nightlife: Austin = Denver, outside of music. Both cities have a ton of Beer Bars, laid back dives, etc. Austin probably has more patios, but Denver prob has more in sheer number of bars.

Food: This one is tough. Denver probably has more choices, but I do remember an awful lot of chain restaurants. Plus, as a Texan, leaving the Texmex will be difficult. Both cities have plenty to offer for healthy restaurants. Not sure about thai, indian, or other ethnic foods.

Outdoorsy stuff: Denver > Austin, you can't mess with the Rockies at your door step. That being said, I am not that outdoorsy, and floating the river just south of Austin is one of my favorite things to do.

Sports: Denver > Austin, would be cool to check out Coors Field, or see the Broncos play..i have never been to a professional football game. With my boyfriend being a die hard boston fan in every sport, he may get more of an opportunity to see his teams roll through denver. However, his best chance would be to catch the Rangers play the Red Sox in Arlington. Austin does have a huge college football presence, but Boulder does too, even though they aren't as strong of a team. Why am I still going on about this, I barely ever watch sports!

Arts: Denver > Austin, again, other than live music, I am sure Denver has more plays, although Houston and Dallas are both within 3 hours from austin, so I wouldn't be totally devoid of culture. I admit that i never go to museums so I am good on that. Indie movie theaters...does either city have a neat indie movie theater?

Shopping: Probably Denver > Austin, but both have a Nordstrom, Anthropologie, Urban Outfitters, Whole Foods, so I am good.

See how tough this is! Maybe once I see my actual job offers, I can just let the money talk!

Old 08-06-2010, 07:46 AM

I go to school in Austin, and Denver is among my favorite cities, one of the best places I have ever been too.

Quote:
Ok, I am breaking down into categories...

Music: Austin > Denver - Hands down in the genre I listen to...SXSW, ACL, Fun Fun Fun Fest, plus lots on an average weekend.
I agree as far as the music scene goes, Austin mops the floor with Denver.

Quote:
Walkability: Denver > Austin - I noticed more walkable neighborhoods in town, like Uptown, Cap Hill, Cheesman Park, Baker. If i picked the right place, i could even walk to work, when the weather is nice.
Yeah you're right, Denver is far more walkable than Austin. I live in downtown Austin and it's fairly walkable, and the areas around it are as well. Austin is easily the most walkable city in Texas, but Denver is very efficient and is better in this category.

Quote:
Taxes: Austin > Denver - State income tax, yuck. TX does have a high prop tax, but i will be paying that no matter what bc i am keeping my house no matter where i go
Actually even though Texas is among one of the best for taxes, Colorado is pretty good itself. Colorado is among one of the lowest in the nation as well, but will be slightly more than Texas.

Quote:
Nightlife: Austin = Denver, outside of music. Both cities have a ton of Beer Bars, laid back dives, etc. Austin probably has more patios, but Denver prob has more in sheer number of bars.
Yeah nightlife they are both tied. The bars in Denver are better in my opinion, but the clubs and whatnot are better in Austin.
But like I said before though 16th Street Denver = 6th Street in Austin, they are virtually tied.
Austin has some great bars as well, and Denver has some great clubs. They pretty much do cancel each other out.

In my perspective I don't do clubs much, a good bar especially on NBA basketball nights (any team) is a great atmosphere, and they both excel at it.

Quote:
Food: This one is tough. Denver probably has more choices, but I do remember an awful lot of chain restaurants. Plus, as a Texan, leaving the Texmex will be difficult. Both cities have plenty to offer for healthy restaurants. Not sure about thai, indian, or other ethnic foods.
Haha you are kidding right? Austin has amazing Thai, Chinese, & Indian food. As does Denver though. They are pretty even on this, both medium sized metropolitan areas have adequate and great food options for nearly any type of food scene you could want.
I do give the edge to Austin though, same reason as you, Tex-Mex FTW!

Quote:
Outdoorsy stuff: Denver > Austin, you can't mess with the Rockies at your door step. That being said, I am not that outdoorsy, and floating the river just south of Austin is one of my favorite things to do.
You mean San Marcos River, I have gone river rafting there so many times, it is fun. But yeahhh I give the edge to Denver on out door activities. Austin has a lot of hills in the area and lakes for water skiing and boating and stuff.
But Denver has a little bit more going for it, in my personal opinion.

Quote:
Sports: Denver > Austin, would be cool to check out Coors Field, or see the Broncos play..i have never been to a professional football game. With my boyfriend being a die hard boston fan in every sport, he may get more of an opportunity to see his teams roll through denver. However, his best chance would be to catch the Rangers play the Red Sox in Arlington. Austin does have a huge college football presence, but Boulder does too, even though they aren't as strong of a team. Why am I still going on about this, I barely ever watch sports!
Yeah if you want professional sports then it's definitely Denver. Austin is more of a college sports city.

Quote:
Arts: Denver > Austin, again, other than live music, I am sure Denver has more plays, although Houston and Dallas are both within 3 hours from austin, so I wouldn't be totally devoid of culture. I admit that i never go to museums so I am good on that. Indie movie theaters...does either city have a neat indie movie theater?
Austin has a decent art scene, but Denver is better at it.

Quote:
Shopping: Probably Denver > Austin, but both have a Nordstrom, Anthropologie, Urban Outfitters, Whole Foods, so I am good.
I'm not much of a shopper but I think they are essentially equal. The Domain in Austin is pretty good. Denver has comparable places to that as well.

Quote:
See how tough this is! Maybe once I see my actual job offers, I can just let the money talk!
It is a tough decision, but in my opinion I think given even your own responses minus the Tex-Mex they are both essentially tied with a slight edge going to Denver in certain categories.

And the fact is, both of them have a great job market. Some of the best in the country at that.

Overall: Denver by a hair, it would be like 51% Denver, 49% Austin almost.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:06 PM

96 posts, read 245,412 times
I have a feeling that you would be pulling in a whole lot more money (and spending less) as a bartender in Austin, if that's a difference maker. Denver is more of a 'real' city, but is isolated, whereas Austin is surrounded by three much larger cities.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:39 PM

1,374 posts, read 3,253,668 times
Both are impressive, up and coming cities ...
My choice would be Denver ( again ) hands down

Old 08-06-2010, 07:54 PM

258 posts, read 1,034,740 times
Denver

Anything > Texas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City