Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has the worse slums/ghettos?
Baltimore(Bodymore) 93 30.29%
Detroit 214 69.71%
Voters: 307. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 01:42 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,092,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
There are far more nice areas than just Fells Point. Baltimore can go toe to toe with Detroit even in the sections that are "moving in the right direction."
Fells Point, Canton, Otterbein, Federal Hill, Roland Park, Hampden, Bolton Hill, Locust Point, etc., were still looking pretty good last time I was up there. Some neighborhoods look to be going downhill: Pigtown, Highlandtown, Brooklyn, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2019, 09:06 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,510,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Fells Point, Canton, Otterbein, Federal Hill, Roland Park, Hampden, Bolton Hill, Locust Point, etc., were still looking pretty good last time I was up there. Some neighborhoods look to be going downhill: Pigtown, Highlandtown, Brooklyn, etc.
Someone in the know told me couple of weeks ago that the eastern half of Pigtown has a hot real estate market. Just about everywhere south of the Gwynn's Falls, including Brooklyn, is in decline. Lots of parts of west and southwest Baltimore are also going the wrong way. I consider greater Highlandtown to be generally on the upswing, though if you don't like Latinos... Parts of Northwest and Southeast Baltimore are also declining. The most remarkable trend is the southern part of the East Baltimore ghetto eaten away by development moving north from Patterson Park and east from the Johns Hopkins Medical Campus. Big chunks of the city are on the upswing, but even bigger chunks aren't.

If Baltimore could begin to get control of its spiraling crime rate, it would boom. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening in the short/medium term. There is just too much support for criminals.

Old 09-19-2019, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
Someone in the know told me couple of weeks ago that the eastern half of Pigtown has a hot real estate market. Just about everywhere south of the Gwynn's Falls, including Brooklyn, is in decline. Lots of parts of west and southwest Baltimore are also going the wrong way. I consider greater Highlandtown to be generally on the upswing, though if you don't like Latinos... Parts of Northwest and Southeast Baltimore are also declining. The most remarkable trend is the southern part of the East Baltimore ghetto eaten away by development moving north from Patterson Park and east from the Johns Hopkins Medical Campus. Big chunks of the city are on the upswing, but even bigger chunks aren't.

If Baltimore could begin to get control of its spiraling crime rate, it would boom. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening in the short/medium term. There is just too much support for criminals.
I think that part of Pigtown is marketed as "Washington Village". Good location, nice old row hoses. Should be an up and coming neighborhood. I used to get up to Baltimore quite a bit to work (musician) and party and was pretty familiar with the neighborhood scene. So much potential. And I agree that the crime rate has really put a damper on the revitalization of the old blue collar neighborhoods. Baltimore could use another Willie Don.

Old 09-19-2019, 11:39 PM

3,527 posts, read 2,321,970 times
Quote:
I think that part of Pigtown is marketed as "Washington Village". Good location, nice old row hoses. Should be an up and coming neighborhood. I used to get up to Baltimore quite a bit to work (musician) and party and was pretty familiar with the neighborhood scene. So much potential. And I agree that the crime rate has really put a damper on the revitalization of the old blue collar neighborhoods. Baltimore could use another Willie Don.
I think every big city going through the same grips as Baltimore could.

As far as Mayors go... forget Baltimore, there aren't many U.S. cities that had someone like him at the tip of the spear

Old 09-20-2019, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
I think every big city going through the same grips as Baltimore could.

As far as Mayors go... forget Baltimore, there aren't many U.S. cities that had someone like him at the tip of the spear
I live across the river from DC and I watched it go downhill year after year in the '80s and '90s. "Murder City", "crackhead mayor", etc., etc. It was hemorrhaging population to the tune of thousands of residents every year. The city seemed to be dying. And then I watched as Anthony Williams became mayor in 1999 and literally turned the city around. He balanced the books, improved city services, and restored confidence in the city's future. Now the population is growing again and DC has finally taken its place as a world class city and world capitol. One person can make a huge difference. Baltimore needs another Willie Don Schaefer or a Tony Williams. Someone honest and dedicated with a vision for the city's future. No more corrupt pols using the mayor's office to line their own pockets hawking third rate children's books or whatever.

Old 09-20-2019, 03:13 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post

Pigtown is on a moderate upswing as is eastern counterpart Highlandtown, the part just north of highlandtown (Baltimore HIghland/Ellwood-Monument and Madison and McEdlerry Park) is on a decline, the area near johns Hopkins are definitely improving but areas immediately east and northeast-especiallly Northeast Baltimore- are still declining. Northwest Baltimore seems to be stagnant.

South Southwest and West Baltimore are in decline.

Near East, Central and Southeast Baltimore are on the upswing. Maybe North Baltimore, all though North Baltimore is generally fine. North Baltimore and Downtown Baltimore seem Stagnant like Northwest Baltimore

Old 09-20-2019, 03:14 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
I live across the river from DC and I watched it go downhill year after year in the '80s and '90s. "Murder City", "crackhead mayor", etc., etc. It was hemorrhaging population to the tune of thousands of residents every year. The city seemed to be dying. And then I watched as Anthony Williams became mayor in 1999 and literally turned the city around. He balanced the books, improved city services, and restored confidence in the city's future. Now the population is growing again and DC has finally taken its place as a world class city and world capitol. One person can make a huge difference. Baltimore needs another Willie Don Schaefer or a Tony Williams. Someone honest and dedicated with a vision for the city's future. No more corrupt pols using the mayor's office to line their own pockets hawking third rate children's books or whatever.
As much as people love Schaefer crime was rising and people were fleeing throughout his entire time as mayor.

Old 09-20-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
As much as people love Schaefer crime was rising and people were fleeing throughout his entire time as mayor.
Maybe. But I was in Baltimore a lot in the '70s and '80s when he was mayor and the city was much safer and more stable than it is now.

Old 09-20-2019, 09:23 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,510,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Pigtown is on a moderate upswing as is eastern counterpart Highlandtown, the part just north of highlandtown (Baltimore HIghland/Ellwood-Monument and Madison and McEdlerry Park) is on a decline, the area near johns Hopkins are definitely improving but areas immediately east and northeast-especiallly Northeast Baltimore- are still declining. Northwest Baltimore seems to be stagnant.

South Southwest and West Baltimore are in decline.

Near East, Central and Southeast Baltimore are on the upswing. Maybe North Baltimore, all though North Baltimore is generally fine. North Baltimore and Downtown Baltimore seem Stagnant like Northwest Baltimore
I am spitting hairs here but the redevelopment line currently runs through McEdeldery Park and Ellwood park, but it is slowly marching north. The difference is hard to see on the ground. None the less, a close look at CodeMap: codeMap shows many more properties south of Jefferson Street being rehabed than going or remaining vacant. North of Jefferson, the situation is far more mixed. None the less, I have seen rehab activity move north over the past couple of years. The problem is that there are still 20 blocks of East Baltimore ghetto north of Jefferson Street, so even if the rehab line moves north by a block every two years, it would take up to 40 years to wipe out the East Baltimore ghetto completely. Clearly, modest progress will be insufficient.

I think BostonBorn sort of gets at my feeling that slight progress really feels like severe decline in Baltimore. Only rapid progress feels like any kind of progress at all. I work on community development in North Central Baltimore. Vacancy in the area has declined by over 70% during the past 11 years. Boston Born, and most everybody else (including me,) sees that as a stagnation. It is hard not to; we expect much better than that!

I get the feeling that in Detroit any kind of progress is something to crow about. It is graded on a completely different scale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City