Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 10:47 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,693,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Probably somewhere more liberal-leaning. I can't imagine most places down south being crazy misfit types.
I suppose this varies, but I'd say that the (overall fairly conservative) southern town we lived in had a greater variety of "misfits," or at least a wider range of eccentric people, than anywhere else we've lived. It was also the most conservative place we've ever lived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 10:48 PM

36,648 posts, read 67,391,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Wash. DC exactly 535 of the worse misfits.
I can't rep ya but I totally agree.

LOL

Old 08-07-2010, 10:50 PM

36,648 posts, read 67,391,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
WTF? They put Oakland but no Berkeley? Oakland is normal compared to Frisco or Berkeley.
Im guessing they counted the largest cities.

Oakland does have quite a few eccentrics tho...although not as many as SF and Berkeley...agreed.

Mind you folks, I don't necessarily think its a bad thing.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:12 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,521,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I'm guessing they counted the largest cities.
Yeah I think that's it.

I mentioned Eureka Springs, Arkansas and when I Googled "eccentric towns", to find smaller, they listed it in a prominent way. Although the main article I found was over 20 years old. (It sounds like they have interesting conservatives or Christians too. John Michael Talbot's hermitage, Catholic, is nearby along with things of Evangelical Protestant interest.)

Eureka Springs Has Ex-Hippie Mayor, 70-Foot Christ Built by Famed Anti-Semite : Dropouts Find Ozarks Town a Place to Fit In - Los Angeles Times

Last edited by Thomas R.; 08-07-2010 at 11:21 PM..

Old 08-07-2010, 11:15 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,501,460 times
I'm guessing there's some universally agreed upon definition of "misfit."

We have plenty of them on this forum from all over the place.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:18 PM

129 posts, read 191,197 times
Quote:
Wash. DC exactly 535 of the worse misfits.
haha, win!

Old 08-08-2010, 12:01 AM

2,419 posts, read 4,714,662 times
Detroit
New Orleans
Baltimore
Philly
Chicago
St. louis
DC
Atlanta
Miami
Memphis
Oakland
Houston
Dallas
LA
NYC
Boston
SanFran

Old 08-08-2010, 02:35 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,895,102 times
Quote:
Probably somewhere more liberal-leaning. I can't imagine most places down south being crazy misfit types.
Seems how the largest media centers where they tell people across the US, "what's in" "what everyone's doing" up north, I would imagine it would make sense to be somewhere down South that's non-conformist. Or somewhere out West.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:04 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,637,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Seems how the largest media centers where they tell people across the US, "what's in" "what everyone's doing" up north, I would imagine it would make sense to be somewhere down South that's non-conformist. Or somewhere out West.

People on here contradict themselves so much. They say the south is all polite with lots of manners, but yet on this thread, there's misfits. Most people wouldn't think polite/manners goes hand in hand in with troublemaking misfits.

Old 08-09-2010, 05:00 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,521,212 times
Quote:
People on here contradict themselves so much. They say the south is all polite with lots of manners, but yet on this thread, there's misfits. Most people wouldn't think polite/manners goes hand in hand in with troublemaking misfits.
First I'm not one to say that. I think the thing about the South being ultra-polite is partly a class and partly a region issue. Lower-class people in Arkansas or Tennessee or Louisiana, in my experience, tend to be far more blunt than Midwestern people. There is a bit of an emphasis on respect for age or "prestige", but it's not necessarily the same as politeness. You say "sir" and "ma'am" and "thank you", but an older person may call a younger person "you dummy" pretty often in my experience. (Although a crude example "Mama's Family" portrayed some of that side of the South) The "super-polite" thing I think might be more upper-classes in the "Old South." (Virginia, the Carolinas, and Georgia)

Second I don't think a misfit is necessarily the same thing as a trouble-maker. I think it's more about not conforming or fitting in. You can not conform, and have a loudly critical view of those who do, but you can also not conform but not really care what others do. ("Fool on the Hill" kind of misfit) Southern arts and literature are full of colorful misfits. Tom Wolfe is an atheist from Virginia who wears bright white suits and supported George W. Bush. Sun Ra was from Birmingham, Alabama although he claimed he was from the planet Saturn so may not count as Southern Truman Capote grew up in Alabama. Hunter Thompson was from Kentucky it seems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City