Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 10:49 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,401,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket View Post
Hmmm...never been to either one...I'll imagine the weather in Denver is significantly more pleasant than that in Minneapolis. Both metro areas seem to be expanding their LRT systems. Denver's transit system (RTD) is a bit larger and gets a bit more ridership than that in the Twin cities (Metro Transit). Both metro areas are not terribly diverse, though the Denver metro areas has a large hispanic population. The Twin cities metro area, though lacking in immgrants and racial minorities compared to larger metro areas, have the largest Somali and Hmong populations (or among the largest) in the nation.
It gets plenty of ridership from my cousin in college. She rides in to the University of MN Twin Cities campus from the town of St. Paul Park everyday. I'm honestly surprised she can go that far from SPP. I knew it was close but... I don't know. It doesn't seem that close. I guess you just have to know where St. Paul Park is to understand. I think it's nice how she can go out there and experience college life out on a big city campus and then come home away from the craziness to quiet St. Paul Park every night.

That's a nice campus too. Our aunt also goes there. She just went back to school. I've visited her dorm. It's small but nice. Large quiet study area out in the hall. Campus is so big though my aunt and cousin never see each other at all.

Last edited by MSPLove; 11-01-2010 at 11:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 09:43 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,158,958 times
Quote:
Hmmm...never been to either one...I'll imagine the weather in Denver is significantly more pleasant than that in Minneapolis. Both metro areas seem to be expanding their LRT systems. Denver's transit system (RTD) is a bit larger and gets a bit more ridership than that in the Twin cities (Metro Transit). Both metro areas are not terribly diverse, though the Denver metro areas has a large hispanic population. The Twin cities metro area, though lacking in immgrants and racial minorities compared to larger metro areas, have the largest Somali and Hmong populations (or among the largest) in the nation.
I can't help but notice how outside views of weather in Minneapolis is sooooooo negative! It's not THAT bad -- really! I think this city and the state gets such a negative rep for the perceived terrible weather that it keeps so many people away, and I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing. It's interesting though, for sure!

Old 11-03-2010, 01:26 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,085,881 times
Quote:
Denver's transit system (RTD) is a bit larger and gets a bit more ridership than that in the Twin cities (Metro Transit).
Well, Metro Transit has 252,300 daiy boardings (Q2 2010) according to wiki. There are a few other transit services in the Twin Cities, but suffice it to say that Metro Transit is the only non-negligable one, in terms of ridership.

RTD for the Denver-Aurora-Bulder CSA is slightly larger: 313,590 boardins in 2007, according to wiki. However, the RTD operating in Denver's MSA is smaller: 212,100 boardings. I'm not sure exactly whether it is wiser to count the stat from the CSA or the MSA. Suffice it to say that it's basically a crapchute between RTD and Metro Transit.

They do have more lightrail in Denver, though...

Quote:
Both metro areas are not terribly diverse, though the Denver metro areas has a large hispanic population. The Twin cities metro area, though lacking in immgrants and racial minorities compared to larger metro areas, have the largest Somali and Hmong populations (or among the largest) in the nation.
That's accurate. I had *zero* luck finding this information for Denver MSA, but the Twin Cities are 84.3% white (81.6% non-Hispanic white). The city of Denver itself is about 30% Hispanic, but both the cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul have higher %'s of African-Americans and Asians. American-Indians were pretty much a wash: 1.7% in Minne, 1.1% in Denver, and .8% in St. Paul. My guess is that if you were able to find the racial demographics for Denver MSA, you'd find the trend to be much the same: more Hispanics of any race in Denver, more African-Americans and Asians in MSP.

But that's just talking about racial diversity. Socioeconomic diversity is anybody's guess, and extremely difficult to map. The city of Minneapolis is (I *believe*) between 10-15% LGBTQ, which is very high, and a measure of diversity in and of itself (sexual identity diversity?)...

Old 11-04-2010, 04:35 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,401,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I can't help but notice how outside views of weather in Minneapolis is sooooooo negative! It's not THAT bad -- really! I think this city and the state gets such a negative rep for the perceived terrible weather that it keeps so many people away, and I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing. It's interesting though, for sure!
I agree with you.
Upper midwest winters have a bite to them for sure - lake air. But it's not that bad. Just bundle up. As of today Nov. 4, I don't think the Twin Cities has even had their first snow yet. (Upper Minnesota has, but not TC, I don't think.) I live just a little over two hours northwest, over the border in Wisconsin, but... the weather is virtually the same as the TC. The difference may be a few degrees at the most at any given time.

Old 11-04-2010, 01:33 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,817,102 times
If I had a choice to visit either city I would chose minneapolis it seems to have more of a big city feel. Ive never been to either just by what I have seen and read Minneapolis Would be a much more fun city to visit. The stereotype and vibe I get about Denver from video and travel books is its more of a large cow town mentality. More like another Texas type city where as Minneapolis has a big city vibe. Now remember dont take this post to heart Ive never been to either city Im going by media,books,and magazines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City