Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2010, 12:49 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,158,153 times

Advertisements

It's funny because I've never met any New Yorkers in person who would bash New Jersey. I don't see the point either, yeah lets bash THE STATE YOU LIVE NEXT TO. Well, I have family from both and I have lived in both NJ and NY, so I wouldn't bash either. I don't get it though, some of you are crazy. Man, NY and NJ are supposed to have eachothers backs, instead it's always the battle of the Hudson River.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 01:03 PM

8,469 posts, read 14,926,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
This thread has officially become the New Jersey Sucks (New Yorker Poster) NO We Don't! (New Jersey Poster) Thread.

Despite my efforts it stopped having anything to do with Georgia along time ago. Most of the Georgia Poster have long stopped trying to get in on what's been going like this.

New Jersey Poster: We are so great. We have this.
Georgia Poster: But you don't have this. We do.
New Jersey Poster: Yeah but we can go into New York and have that.
New York Poster: Stop leaning on us. New Jersey sucks!
New Jersey Poster: No we don't.
Yes you do.
No we don't

5 pages later.

No we don't
Yes you do.
Georgia Poster: Our State has good literary authors.
New Jersey Poster: Not good as ours cause our cities are so dense.
Georgia Poster: What does density have to do with that?
New Jersey Poster: Density has to do with everything!! Density is GOD!! You sprawl loving, Southerner! Besides New York has so many writers rite next to us.
New York Poster: Stop using us as a crutch. New Jersey Sucks!
No we Don't!
Yes you Do!
Next ten pages.
No we Don't!
Yes you Do
Hahahah. It's pretty much this.

How about we get this thread back on track though....

Name five native residents from your state that changed the world/were integral in a defining moment in history/major national leader. Infamous people are allowed, but people who were born in the state and grew up elsewhere or people who grew up elsewhere but moved to the state later in life can not be included. People who were born in other states/countries but moved to the state as a small child. Pop culture icons can be included, but only those who have had a significant effect on the area of the arts they focussed on.

For Georgia:

Martin Luther King, Jr. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jimmy Carter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Elijah Muhammad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Brown_(musician)

Alice Walker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-11-2010, 01:44 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,417,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post

Name five native residents from your state that changed the world/were integral in a defining moment in history/major national leader. Infamous people are allowed, but people who were born in the state and grew up elsewhere or people who grew up elsewhere but moved to the state later in life can not be included. People who were born in other states/countries but moved to the state as a small child. Pop culture icons can be included, but only those who have had a significant effect on the area of the arts they focussed on.

For Georgia:

I would add to that.

Ray Charles

Little Richard

Betcha didn't know.

Spike Lee

Like him or not he did revolutionize the movie industry. Before him there were almost no Black film makers or influence in Hollywood.

This may be shocking to some to know but Georgia music goes back waay before and beyond todays Rap scene.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:07 PM

8,469 posts, read 14,926,432 times
Quote:
I would add to that.

Ray Charles

Little Richard

Betcha didn't know.

Spike Lee

Like him or not he did revolutionize the movie industry. Before him there were almost no Black film makers or influence in Hollywood.

This may be shocking to some to know but Georgia music goes back waay before and beyond todays Rap scene.
Yeah, Ray and Lil' Richard almost made the cut, but I think James Brown has had a larger effect across several genres of music and pop culture at large.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:12 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,417,303 times
Quote:
Yeah, Ray and Lil' Richard almost made the cut, but I think James Brown has had a larger effect across several genres of music and pop culture at large.
Little Richard's not given nearly enough credit for the influence he had on Rock and Roll. He was truly one of the pioneers.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:12 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,073,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
What a stupid response. The bx is a section of a city, nj is a state. Act and conduct yourselves like one. And crime is no worst in the bronx than brooklyn. Like that would matter to me since i live in a gated community in the bronx
I provided a link that says otherwise ,

*EDIT* changed response, not gonna feed the troll anymore

Last edited by 66nexus; 08-11-2010 at 02:23 PM.. Reason: deletion

Old 08-11-2010, 02:21 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,073,483 times
Quote:
This thread has officially become the New Jersey Sucks (New Yorker Poster) NO We Don't! (New Jersey Poster) Thread.

Despite my efforts it stopped having anything to do with Georgia along time ago. Most of the Georgia Poster have long stopped trying to get in on what's been going like this.

New Jersey Poster: We are so great. We have this.
Georgia Poster: But you don't have this. We do.
New Jersey Poster: Yeah but we can go into New York and have that.
New York Poster: Stop leaning on us. New Jersey sucks!
New Jersey Poster: No we don't.
Yes you do.
No we don't

5 pages later.

No we don't
Yes you do.
Georgia Poster: Our State has good literary authors.
New Jersey Poster: Not good as ours cause our cities are so dense.
Georgia Poster: What does density have to do with that?
New Jersey Poster: Density has to do with everything!! Density is GOD!! You sprawl loving, Southerner! Besides New York has so many writers rite next to us.
New York Poster: Stop using us as a crutch. New Jersey Sucks!
No we Don't!
Yes you Do!
Next ten pages.
No we Don't!
Yes you Do
In a nutshell...that pretty much captures it lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
It's funny because I've never met any New Yorkers in person who would bash New Jersey. I don't see the point either, yeah lets bash THE STATE YOU LIVE NEXT TO. Well, I have family from both and I have lived in both NJ and NY, so I wouldn't bash either. I don't get it though, some of you are crazy. Man, NY and NJ are supposed to have eachothers backs, instead it's always the battle of the Hudson River.
Likewise, I've never heard of so much fire and brimstone (repeatedly) in regards to NY/NJ issues. Especially if it's literally from ONE person lol.

-------------------------------------

No pics, but a list of notable NJerseyans:

-Bruce Willis

-Queen Latifah

-Shaquille O'Neal

-Frank Sinatra

-Bruce Springsteen

-Bon Jovi

-Thomas Edison

-Jack Nicholson

Old 08-11-2010, 02:27 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,739,951 times
Famous New Jerseyans

Old 08-11-2010, 02:27 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,158,153 times
Spike Lee was born in Atlanta, but he was raised in Brooklyn though.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:34 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,762,118 times
Quote:

For Georgia:

This kind of comparison is not going to be good for Georgia, as NJ has produced so many far more influential people. A short list:

President Grover Cleveland
Frank Sinatra
Count Basie
Bud Abbot and Lou Costello
Jerry Lewis
General "Stormin' Norman" Schwarzkopf
Astronaut Buzz Aldrin
Martha Stewart
Aaron Burr
William Carlos Williams
Derek Jeter

You don't want this to go on, NJ owns this category...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City