Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2010, 09:25 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,967,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Last time I checked NJ is not in New England - Mid Atlantic would be more appropriate
Come on now, this is City-Data. Since when do we actually stick to the two original states mentioned in the thread?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 09:26 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
I'm actually pretty ticked about that. I hate this conference with a passion. It was a shotgun wedding to begin with and i'm tired of having no marquee matchups besides OU while the SEC has a big game every week it seems.

I think we discussed this before, would have loved to see TX and ND rounding out the big 14 - would have been a great conferance

Old 08-12-2010, 09:26 AM

364 posts, read 717,310 times
Quote:
The big 12 is sinking fast

Its still more competitive week in and week out than the Big 10.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone2flyboy View Post
Its still more competitive week in and week out than the Big 10.

Not so sure, now with Colorado and Nebraska gone, or even before but they have had a pretty good run in recent years. But OK St and Mizz will have trouble maintaining their level

Old 08-12-2010, 09:30 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,967,758 times
The way I look at it, the Big 12 might get weaker as you go down. But the top two programs are playing at an elite level right now. The Big 10 has Ohio State, and then every other year Penn State does well, but where is Michigan? They need Michigan to get on the ball, because right now, Ohio State has a cakewalk to the title most years.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
The way I look at it, the Big 12 might get weaker as you go down. But the top two programs are playing at an elite level right now. The Big 10 has Ohio State, and then every other year Penn State does well, but where is Michigan? They need Michigan to get on the ball, because right now, Ohio State has a cakewalk to the title most years.

Agree - Michigan needs to step up thier game

Just nice to see football season right around the corner

Old 08-12-2010, 09:35 AM

364 posts, read 717,310 times
Quote:
Not so sure, now with Colorado and Nebraska gone, or even before but they have had a pretty good run in recent years. But OK St and Mizz will have trouble maintaining their level

Dont know about that...I agree that Mizzou will have a hard time, but OK St will always be able to compete simply because they are right above the biggest and largest football recruiting pool in the nation-Texas. They will always be able to get some players that UT, Oklahoma and A&M missed.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:41 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Today, even our football team is better than UGA's.
That just made me spit out my coffee and I wasn't even drinking any. Are you kidding me dude? Please tell me you're kidding.

Let's take a look at the records of the past 5 seasons:

Rutgers: 4-7
Georgia: 10-2

Rutgers: 7-5
Georgia: 10-3

Rutgers: 11-2
Georgia: 9-4

Rutgers: 8-5
Georgia: 11-2

Rutgers: 8-5
Georgia: 10-3

Rutgers: 9-4
Georgia: 8-5

One good year does not make Rutgers anywhere near the level of Georgia. Not to mention Georgia plays in a conference which has produced our last four national champions...Rutgers plays in the Big Least.

Quote:
Man there are some high school teams in the south that would give Rutgers a run for their money, seriously. I think some teams like Lowndes County High in south GA, Red Bank High in Tenn., Parkview High in suburban Atlanta, NW Dade High in Miami, and Midland High in Texas would give Rutgers all they could handle. Someone tell those Jersey boys to stick basketball, these boys in the south are too fast and hit way too hard for them....lol.
I hope you're joking about those high school teams actually giving Rutgers even a small bit of trouble...but in terms of "top" high school football powerhouses you're forgetting Byrnes High School in South Carolina. Some of the top rated players in the country have come out of that school and they're constantly ranked in the Top 5 in the nation.

The South definitely has much better football than any state up North...but if you don't think Jersey has great football and doesn't produce top-notch talent, you're buggin.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:44 AM

Actually 2 northern states fare pretty well

Overall state football rankings - Sportsnation - ESPN

GA and Jersey both also ranked in the top 10, GA besting NJ by a bit

Old 08-12-2010, 09:47 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,791,845 times
Quote:
Man there are some high school teams in the south that would give Rutgers a run for their money, seriously. I think some teams like Lowndes County High in south GA, Red Bank High in Tenn., Parkview High in suburban Atlanta, NW Dade High in Miami, and Midland High in Texas would give Rutgers all they could handle. Someone tell those Jersey boys to stick to basketball, these boys in the south are too fast and hit way too hard for them....lol.
Teams in Texas, like Trinity, Katy, Permian, etc, would beat any Ivy League team by about 4 touchdowns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City