Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2010, 03:58 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
NJ Turnpike is the only system in the US with those standards.....
Well, by the pictures you posted they are obviously SUBSTANDARD systems, European or not.

Who in their right mind does not WANT an emergency lane adjacent to the median? Try again, it's still not working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 04:01 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,087,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I did not say the whole state.I said it has several cities that are decrepid.You are acting as if it is no big deal that 4 past prominent cities are doing so poorly in ONE STATE!!

Try not putting words in my mouth.If im so wrong then tell me that what I mentioned about those cities are not true.You can't.Dont get mad at me,get mad at your state government.
All it seems that you're doing is trying to big it up. I suppose you'd have to live here to understand.

Those cities are doing bad...according to whose criteria?

Old 08-16-2010, 04:03 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
Not for anything, but our cities just don't have the face of our state as whole (the way ATL would for GA).
Why is that better or worse?If you think Atlanta is the face of the state then that is your own ignorance.Some people in Savannah would definately have something to say about that.

You neglect the fact that Atlanta transcend just the state of GA.It is more like the face of the South.It represents the whole region.Just as New York dominates its region.I dare say Atlanta does that even more across the South.From South Carolina,North Carolina,Alabama,Mississippi, Tennessee and Northern Florida.

This means, when you bring up issues in the state, but only mention 3 cities with a population barely a million it really doesn't mean much.

What does the size of the population have to do with it?Im sure the people in those smaller town care a reat deal about the same issues that people in large cities do.That's so elitest.You mean it DOES NOT MATTER TO YOU

--------------------------
Elitest?(I happen to LIVE in one of those said cities) Why are you twisting my words? This is what I said:

"This means, when you bring up issues in the state, but only mention 3 cities with a population barely a million it really doesn't mean much."

And you're trying to twist it into me saying I don't care about said issues? What? Obviously I meant that those problems (in those 3 cities) are not synonymous w/ the entire state of NJ, which seemed to be the point you were trying to make.
That was not my point at all.I was referring to the fact that whether it be a small city or large.It does not matter because people in general want the same things.i brought of 3 cities because they are experiencing very severe issues that are not the same concerns to any of Georgia's cities at all.In fact I don't know of any state where extreme measures have had to be taken like they have had to do in New Jersey.Thats not the whole state,but that is significant.
If you think the population has nothing to do w/ it then perhaps I've been giving you more credit than you deserve.
I need no approval from no one.

Old 08-16-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Well, by the pictures you posted they are obviously SUBSTANDARD systems, European or not.

Who in their right mind does not WANT an emergency lane adjacent to the median? Try again, it's still not working.
Not sure of their Europeanness or not but a couple of those pics are overpass/bridge types w/ narrow lanes. From what I know, NJTpike does include modern infrastructure and utilizes modern traffic methods

Old 08-16-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
All it seems that you're doing is trying to big it up. I suppose you'd have to live here to understand.

Those cities are doing bad...according to whose criteria?
I did live in Jersey.I lived Marlton(South Jersey).I moved there because I thought it was a great place to live.It is.But not for me.So I understand the good and the bad.

Old 08-16-2010, 04:09 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,104 times
Quote:
I did not say the whole state.I said it has several cities that are decrepid.You are acting as if it is no big deal that 4 past prominent cities are doing so poorly in ONE STATE!!

Try not putting words in my mouth.If im so wrong then tell me that what I mentioned about those cities are not true.You can't.Dont get mad at me,get mad at your state government.
Camden is not a prominent city, just the most dangerous. Most American's just dwell there attention on the negative, you being one of them. Elizabeth is a larger more prominent city anyway (which you haven't said a word about), so spare me the excuses.

We are still one of the wealthiest, most educated, with some of the lowest crime rates in the nation- So our so called "prominent" cities don't make much of a dent at all state wide.
I know NJ government sucks, I hate politics in general. GA doesn't come close to NJ's education rankings, it's far more dangerous as a whole, and it has way higher poverty rates, who are you going to thank?

I'm not getting mad, you're just going by this whole thing in a cherry picking manner.

Old 08-16-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:

That was not my point at all.I was referring to the fact that whether it be a small city or large.It does not matter because people in general want the same things.i brought of 3 cities because they are experiencing very severe issues that are not the same concerns to any of Georgia's cities at all.In fact I don't know of any state where extreme measures have had to be taken like they have had to do in New Jersey.Thats not the whole state,but that is significant.

I need no approval from no one.
Regardless, our cities do not carry weight for the state. Because if they did, NJ would not have one of the highest median incomes, and one of the best school systems in the nation.

And secondly...approval for what?

EDIT (PS): I'm not saying the cities aren't there. But in the case of NJ, it's just unrealistic to point those things out and conclude: 'yeah you guys aren't doing so hot'

Old 08-16-2010, 04:14 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
Quote:
Not sure of their Europeanness or not but a couple of those pics are overpass/bridge types w/ narrow lanes. From what I know, NJTpike does include modern infrastructure and utilizes modern traffic methods
I'm sure it does. It seemed modern enough the last time I was on it.

Our freeways happen to look more modern and updated - but there was more to my point.

My point is more directed to Nexis4Jersey's CONSTANT attempts to minimize and put down anything here regarding transit, infrastructure, etc. When proven wrong, he just keeps making up more lies.

He clearly has no clue about Atlanta/Georgia/the South in general, but speaks with authority time after time. It deserves to be challenged.

Old 08-16-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
NJ Turnpike is the only system in the US with those standards.....

Old 08-16-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Come on guys, Whitney had an amazing talent.
That national anthem she did way back when was iconic- I thought she was one of the best female singers of our time, lets not judge her for what we know little about.

YouTube - Whitney Houston sings the National Anthem -- Star Spangled Banner
Well We do agree on this.Im a Whitney fan for life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City