Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is New England's second city?
Hartford, CT 49 22.48%
New Haven, CT 12 5.50%
Providence, RI 128 58.72%
Portland, ME 18 8.26%
Worcester, MA 6 2.75%
Springfield, MA 1 0.46%
Manchester, NH 2 0.92%
Burlington, VT 2 0.92%
Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 12:13 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,297,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyuusr View Post
Ok, lets take a look at this this subjectively shall we; it takes 3.5 hours by car to get from Boston to Burlington, VT while on the other hand it only take you a little over 2.5 to for Albany. You see how stupid that looks now?

And you do realize that parts of Vermont used to be New York State don't you? But hey by all means, if want to be a slave to everything the census or the name of the state says and completely ignore geography then go right ahead. I'm guessing to you El Paso is a traditional southern city.
Hilarious. By that logic, should he have included NYC in the poll as well? After all, it's the same distance from Boston as Burlington. Stop to think of it, maybe the poll should have been "What is New England's Top City?"... since, you know, NYC is the top city for many people who live in New England.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 12:17 PM

669 posts, read 915,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
The only serious problem is you came into this forum looking for a tussle. I can read English just fine, your problem is your ability to articulate reason. What makes GEOGRAPHY irrelevant, since by definition New England (the subject of the thread) is relative to a geographical term? It goes without saying that urban areas in any state or any region are different from their rural counterparts. How do Boston's similarities or differences to NH & VT make Albany a relevant city to add to the poll of the New England region? Again, more mindless jibber jabber.
Because it tell that not every hardly all of New England is similar either. So your claim about Albany having differences with New England is totally irrelevant. If you really want to compare rural and rural, tell me how rural Massachusetts is so much similar to rural Vermont than rural New York? You can keep ranting on to it but your pointless crap but your not going to change Geography.

Old 10-27-2013, 12:33 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyuusr View Post
Because it tell that not every hardly all of New England is similar either. So your claim about Albany having differences with New England is totally irrelevant. If you really want to compare rural and rural, tell me how rural Massachusetts is so much similar to rural Vermont than rural New York? You can keep ranting on to it but your pointless crap but your not going to change Geography.
See now you're using reverse logic, since you're trying to change the geography of New England itself, boy your weak argument really losing steam. All you do is negate without backing it up with any reason. Compare Vermont to Western Mass? Easy! Colonial style clapboard homes, tall white church steeples, village commons, all traits found in rural Connecticut and NH as well.

How are my points of Albany irrelevant? It started out with Dutch colonial beginnings, it's the state capital of New York on the Hudson River what is definitively a New York and not a New England trademark.

Check out the Lark Street area of Albany with the attached Mid Atlantic/NY style homes
it does not look like a New England city.
Albany NY | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Albany NY | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Hilarious. By that logic, should he have included NYC in the poll as well? .
Yes, this poster has a very valid question, should we add NYC to the poll as well? I mean by your logic may as well right? How about Montreal just for good measure? After all it is not too far from Burlington either (which is obviously New England), why not include that as well?

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 10-27-2013 at 01:34 PM..

Old 10-27-2013, 03:21 PM

281 posts, read 472,816 times
NYC>>>Boston

I guess its Boston

Old 10-27-2013, 03:46 PM

6,807 posts, read 6,038,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disposable2 View Post
NYC>>>Boston

I guess its Boston
Can we all just pause and take a moment to appreciate this comment, lol.

I feel like this is appropriate.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTSA...e_gdata_player

But REALLY, people, this is a thread about NEW ENGLAND so stop talking about NEW YORK (& Kansas & Canada & whatever)!!!

Old 10-27-2013, 07:23 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,106,991 times
When anyone mentions Providence I cannot help but think of this scene....

Dumb And Dumber - Boom Shack - A - Lak - YouTube

Old 10-28-2013, 07:19 AM

2,342 posts, read 3,989,552 times
Portland, Maine

Old 01-29-2015, 09:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,327 times
The City of Providence! It's not even close. Downtown is a great mix of old and new architecture, and is one happening place, a destination in itself with something for everyone, great hotels, restaurants, nightlife, and shopping especially at Providence Place Mall which has around 200 stores, a great cinema, and imax not to mention its built of a river. The same river which is part of Waterfire.The spectacle that attracts millions of people every year to the cities riverwalks and Waterplace Park which are lit up with bonfires just above the water every 10 feet or so, not to mention the outdoor music venues and attractions that go along with a Waterfire. Providence also has some great neighborhoods. The East Side has some great shops and restaurants and is dominated by one of the oldest and most prestigious universities in the country Brown, along with arguably the best art school in the country the Rhode Island School of Design. Providence also has some of the best Italian restaurants in the country especially on Federal Hill ( Little Italy) which also has some great Italian Bakeries and specialty shops. It should not even be a discussion. What does Hartford have besides a couple of Insurance Companies left? Downtown Hartford is a ghost town after 6pm and most of its neighborhoods have been neglected for years. I am a true New Englander and have lived in every state except Vermont and Maine, and in no way am I bias, but I think it would be a better discussion to see what New England's Third City is? because Boston is clearly # 1 The Hub, and Providence is clearly #2 The Second City

Old 01-31-2015, 10:54 PM

342 posts, read 570,798 times
For me this immediately boils down to Hartford or Providence being the second city, with the other as the third. Both are the capital city of their respective states, Hartford is a major city for the insurance industry, and Providence boasts a large number of universities. The main deciding factor for me though is the fact that the population of Providence is growing and exceeds 180,000 while Hartford's continues to shrink and may fall to less than 120,000 before 2020, therefore, Providence is the second city of New England.

Old 02-01-2015, 12:12 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Are there any cities with good mass transit in New England aside from Boston and its metro?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City