Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2010, 01:06 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,723,143 times

Advertisements

IMO......

Architecture: Bay
Weather: Bay
Natural Setting: Bay
Beaches: Jersey
Diversity: Tie
Cities: Jersey
Suburbs: Bay Area
Culture: Jersey
Public transportation/infrastructure: North Jersey trumps the bay
Food(restaurants): Bay
Food(Local produce): Jersey
Nightlife: Tie
Colleges: Jersey
Attractions/tourism: Bay
Sports teams: Jersey
QoL: Bay
CoL: Jersey
Overall: New Jersey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 01:58 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Architecture: Subjective
+ Tir-State (NJ, PA, NY): Has historical architecture in Philadelphia & New York City
+ Bay Area: Has more modern architecture, more of a glass gleaming new style

- Personally I prefer the Bay Area architecture more, but I absolutely can understand and won't hold anything against anyone preferring historical architecture because those look pretty too. Just not my thing.

Weather: Subjective
+ Tri-State: You can make the argument for the four very distinct and winter climate for Tri-State, in preference.
+ Bay Area: Very mild like, and not having to deal with much of a severe weather climate.

- Personally before January 2nd, I prefer seeing snow and plenty of it in all of December, 2nd half of November and the first 2 days of January, after that it is a menace... so I will give it a 50/50 for this. Bay Area after January 2nd to November 12th. Tri-State area from November 12th- January 2nd.

Natural Setting: Bay Area, has more natural scenery even amongst it's city boundaries. The valley layout of San Jose is spectacular, the mountains and hills in the middle of San Francisco, try going on one and looking down at that skyline, my experience was literally breath taking looking over an entire city.

Beaches: Tri-State Area because the Bay Area isn't as known if at all for beach atmosphere like Southern California is. Bay Area I have not experienced the beach first hand, but I think Tri-State has a more populated crowd going there, but Bay Area has a more relaxed crowd. So for me, Bay Area.

Diversity: Subjective
+ Tri-State is the most ethnically diverse area in the nation. You can literally find people of every nationality and background in New York City metro alone so imagine that plus the rest of New Jersey and Philadelphia metro.
+ Bay Area is more of a balanced area racially more than ethnically. You will see way more Asian people and Caucasians make a minority. It's pretty diverse in itself, but in a different way than Tri-State.

Cities: Subjective
+ Tri-State has these major role playing cities, New York City, Jersey City, Atlantic City, & Philadelphia
+ Bay Area has these major role playing cities, San Jose, Oakland, & San Francisco

- Personally I like the topography and atmosphere of Bay Area more. It's got cities in my range of density which is pretty low. I like San Jose a lot for that, for being a moderate density/low density city (5,000-6,000 ppsq range)

Suburbs: Subjective to each person
+ Tri-State: Hoboken, Greenwich, etc... high density and walkable suburbs
+ Bay Area: Mountain View, Palo Alto, Cupertino, Berkeley, etc... very scenic, very friendly, great atmosphere.

- Personally, I like the Bay Area suburbs more, fills in the moderate density (4,000-5,500 ppsq) range that I very much desire.

Culture: Subjective to each person
+ Tri- State: The faster paced and more of a bustling lifestyle in nearly the whole area.
+ Bay Area: Fast paced in San Francisco, moderate paced in Oakland, slower paced in San Jose.

- I like the pace for San Jose best. So for me, Bay Area.

Public transportation/infrastructure: Tri-State Area, this one is not debatable.

Food(restaurants): Subjective to each their own
+ Tri-State: Philadelphia, NJ, & New York City specialize more in Italian, French, European type of foods, while still having world class Asian choices too, and other choices also.
+ Bay Area: Specializes more in Asian food, while still having world class European, Mexican, etc... type food.

- Personally, I like the Bay Area more because of their massive plethora of Asian options (being Asian myself). Anyone who likes Biriyani will know why, and anyone who likes Thai food will know why!

Food(Local produce): Bay Area, not even debatable, California has got this on lock!

Nightlife: Subjective to each their own
+ Tri-State: You will find things like clubs and stuff open much later here in this region.
+ Bay Area: They have some fabulous bars in some of the suburban areas.

- Personally, I don't know yet, whichever one has the best bars, that's where I cast my vote on this subtopic criteria for.

Colleges: Tri-State Area by a slight margin for the vast amount of schools.
+ Tri-State Area: University of Pennsylvania, Princeton, Columbia, NYU, and a few others
+ Bay Area: Stanford, UC Berkeley, UCSF, among others.

- Tri-State has a more impressive line up, which is why it has the edge but Bay Area has a school slightly better overall ranked than anyone else being Stanford. But I would choose Columbia because I am doing law there for grad school. Stanford I would choose for everything else if I were to do something else.

Attractions/tourism: Subjective to each their own
+ Tri State Area: Some world known attractions are Empire State Building, Chrysler Building, Statue of Liberty, Liberty Bell
+ Bay Area: Golden Gate Bridge, Trans-america Pyramid, I forgot that name of that Zig Zag road...

- I think Tri-State area has a larger list of historical attractions, like the zoo's and stuff. But Bay Area can hold it's own. Edge to Tri- State Area though.

Sports teams: Tri-State Area by a longshot
+ Tri State Area: You have the teams from New York City, Philadelphia, and New Jersey... they are competitive too
+ Bay Area: Oakland, San Jose, & San Francisco all have teams for certain sports, but they don't do so hot..

- Personally I see Tri-State winning this category. But it really depends on each fan and stuff..

QoL: Tie
- They are different but equal in standard of life.

CoL: New Jersey for sure.

Overall: Personally I prefer Bay Area more, San Jose is more of my type of city by layout, density, and amenities offered and if I ever need the big city lifestyle for a weekend like I normally do sometimes then Oakland (moderate density) and San Francisco (very urban) are just a short drive away.

San Jose is my preferred lifestyle, the more serious and more business oriented atmosphere, the more spacious yet beautiful layout, the nice stock of homes and great public education for raising a family. All the big city amenities all there. And having such a influential and innovative economic force in which a city is apart of, that's what I'm talking about!

Old 08-09-2010, 02:04 PM

17 posts, read 48,414 times
I'm pretty sure NYC is in "NJ (Metro Phila, Metro NYC)" so it automatically wins.

It's just the way it is..

Old 08-09-2010, 02:08 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan4Ever View Post
I'm pretty sure NYC is in "NJ (Metro Phila, Metro NYC)" so it automatically wins.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:57 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Well, I love both since I live in both.

Are you talking about the whole of NorCal which is basically 100,000 square miles and home to 14 Million people?

Old 08-09-2010, 06:57 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan4Ever View Post

Of course you do, I mean why would a credible poster such as yourself with no evidence of bias anywhere especially not in your name and omg get this, a total of 6 posts, that's so much more than anyone else here, why would you be lying, right?

Haha, good luck selling on that one, this is not about New York City alone, city wise New York City is the best out of all the cities given.

But this is all of Northern California versus Philadelphia, all of New Jersey, & New York City.

So, fair game. it's fine to think one place is better or like one better, but when you say things like "automatically wins" when most of the criteria is subjective, looks odd, does it not? Why do you think it automatically wins?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City