Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2010, 08:32 AM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
I think the point is...there are nowhere near as many as in the Northeast. Especially the good ones...very far and few between. The ones that there are, are most likely opened by, or at least influenced by the influx of NY/NJ people to Florida.
I never understand the point of saying that. The same could be said about any cuisine, in any city. The best and most variety of restaurants serving any kind of food will always be where that food originated. Just because a place doesn't have as many ____ restaurants is irrelevant. If they have only one then they have that cuisine there.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:50 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,734,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Yep, just keep bringing up Times SQ ignoring the 30 something other Applebee's in addition to the thousands of other chain restaurants in NYC.

And I'll take your bet, now prove to me what you said is true. I'll take payment in crisp $20's, thank you.
again, i don't know anybody that eats at applebee's and couldn't even tell you where one was here.

*shrugs*

chain restaurants aren't big here. they exist but ppl aren't flocking to them like they are elsewhere in the country. more ppl go to local restaurants here by far than chain restaurants.

i only brought up times sq because it was brought up by polo89. i couldn't care less about times sq but for someone to act like nyers are flocking to times sq to eat (or really for any reason) is ridiculous and i had to comment on that.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:53 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
again, i don't know anybody that eats at applebee's and couldn't even tell you where one was here.

*shrugs*

chain restaurants aren't big here. they exist but ppl aren't flocking to them like they are elsewhere in the country. more ppl go to local restaurants here by far than chain restaurants.

i only brought up times sq because it was brought up by polo89. i couldn't care less about times sq but for someone to act like nyers are flocking to times sq to eat (or really for any reason) is ridiculous and i had to comment on that.

I know. For one, NYers AVOID Times Square. Second, why would a NYer go out of their neighborhood into crowded, touristy Times Square to eat at a chain??? ROFL

Old 08-11-2010, 08:54 AM

2,413 posts, read 5,750,239 times
Quote:
I think you could put dog poop on some pizza dough, give it to some people telling them it was NY pizza and they would claim it was better than anything you could get elsewhere.
LMFAO, this is so true

Old 08-11-2010, 08:55 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,947,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
My point is that the Mcdonalds that are actually in Manhattan are unique. Nowhere in this country is going to be exempt of them.

Our point is that there are WAY more local, mom/pop type choices in NY than elsewhere in the country.
Not that it really matters to me, but Travel Channel ranked this Orlando McDonald's as #2 for Uniqueness. Guess your theory about NYC's McDonald's doesn't really hold water. Here, just check out their website: McDonalds - 6875 Sand Lake Rd. 407-351-2185 | Welcome to the World's Largest Entertainment McDonald's and PlayPlace!
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3160/...9bf04c573e.jpg
http://janetong.com/image_gallery/data/p1470863.jpghttp://www.primetimeamusements.com/l...mcdonalds2.jpghttp://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/med...mcdonald-s.jpg
YouTube - ‪Worlds largest McDonalds play area - 15,000 sq. ft. WOW !!!‬‎

Old 08-11-2010, 08:58 AM

I'd also like to say that Times Square is like 2% of NYC.

Here is a list of restaurants in midtown west just to compare to. Those of you probably LOOK for the chain restaurants, but don't walk a block further and notice all the hole in the wall mom and pop type restaurants:

Just in the west 40s alone there are 363 locally owned restaurants. 386 in the west 50s. That's 749 restaurants within 20 blocks. Yeah, there are chains all over.

Midtown West**Restaurants - New York City, Menus, Ratings, Reviews, NYC - MenuPages Restaurant Search

Old 08-11-2010, 08:59 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Yep, just keep bringing up Times SQ ignoring the 30 something other Applebee's in addition to the thousands of other chain restaurants in NYC.

And I'll take your bet, now prove to me what you said is true. I'll take payment in crisp $20's, thank you.
When you collect, make sure to separate the 20s; new ones tend to stick together...

This whole argument is a little overdone, anyway. If someone really has a preference for chains, then more power to him; let him make his own choices. I do, on occasion, visit a local Outback's if I'm in the vicinity, since I have found it to be one of the better chain restaurants.

This reminds me of the days when airlines actually served meals on board for long-distance flights; no one would say that the cuisine was fantastic, but then again no one turned down the food when it was brought to them...

Old 08-11-2010, 09:01 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,740 times
The numbers proving that there are more chain restaurants in the south than in new york are meaningless to the discussion anyway. The presence of chain restaurants does not mean that southerners are "afraid" of locally owned restaurants.

BTW, I wonder why ny'ers are so worried about what people in the south eat anyway. Aren't these the same people on this site that preach so much about how in the north they "live and let live"?

Old 08-11-2010, 09:01 AM

2,155 posts, read 4,581,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Let's take a look at the array of restaurants available in the Weeki Wachee area, according to their website--

Under each category, we have

Italian--
Enrico's
Carabba's (chain)
West side pizza (chain)
Little caesars (chain)
Anthony's NY style pizza (they wish, FL "NY" style is awful)
Little Ceasars isn't Italian.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
Little Ceasars isn't Italian.

It was listed as italian under their site. I guess people in Hernando county consider Little Caesars italian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City