Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which did you like more?
It's all about the East Coast, you know it! 43 33.59%
It's all about the West Coast, you know it! 19 14.84%
I liked both, but I liked East Coast more. 44 34.38%
I liked both, but I liked West Coast more. 22 17.19%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 10:22 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,747,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
See this is what I'm talking about. The East Coast ain't been up to nothing huh, what has the West been up to? The West Coast is re-surging with the New Boys right? You're a Jerk is catchy but I heard yall aint like that. And I'm not even being a "homer" because I like every region's music but come on now, I have a ton of respect for Cali, I love it but you can't be serious.

Wth is a NY Purist? I'm not even a fan of Nas, his career been over so I can see why he's salty and pulled the Hip-Hop is dead card.

Actually I can be serious. If yall want to play the "all of your 'good' artists are old as dirt" card... rofl.

I'm not even hating on NY here... its the truth. For some reason, NY has become increasingly stagnant... creativity seems to have disappeared from the NY hip hop community for the most part. The last NY artist I heard who sounded original was Corey Gunz... I only like a couple songs from him but at least he's trying different. Most of the new school NY rappers are still rapping on vintage premo beats ffs... Premo himself sounds like he's stuck in the late 90's/early 2000's. All the beats out of NY sound the same these days... same soul samples flipped a billion times with the same ****ty drum patterns and non existent bass lines.

Vado sounds like yet another NY-rapper-saving-hip-hop to add to the pile. The vast majority of the 90's NY rappers should have dropped the mic years ago (Nas, Jay Z, Cam'Ron, AZ, Shyne, etc.). I'm still like a lot of 90's NY stuff, but the 2000's were a pretty bad decade for NY. The only 90's NY artist who consistently proved he had a place in the new decade imo was Ghostface.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 10:28 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,530,843 times
talkin about nineties flava

YouTube - Stetsasonic "Talkin All That Jazz"

Old 08-27-2010, 10:32 PM

Default way too much fun!

YouTube - [PV] Nice & Smooth - Funky For You

YouTube - 3rd Bass - Wordz Of Wisdom

Last edited by john_starks; 08-27-2010 at 10:41 PM..

Old 08-27-2010, 10:34 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,324,530 times
Default 2 More Hot West Coast Rappers

You Must Be Crazy - Eminem, Hot Karl, & Dree (aka Madawm).

YouTube - Eminem, Hot Karl & Dree - You Must Be Crazy (FULL)

The Last 2 verses are West Coast rappers. Chick got a crazy flow.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
game has no buzz.
lil b is prolly not who cali wants to bring on this resurgence...
cube is a family man. nobody buying the tough guy image anymore (even tho he's still a g IMO).
snoop is mad old but he's cool...but he's not bringing on any resurgence.
dre is never coming out with detox.
even if dre came out with detox there is no buzz for it. his beats lately have been garbage.
none of the bay area artists ppl love in the bay area get any play outside of cali.
etc. etc.

the resurgence of the west SHOULD HAVE happened with the chronic 2001. after that came out, dre should have let hittman, knocturnal, kurupt, daz, etc. have good production from him and he should have helped them with their careers. instead he horded that stuff and screwed them.

so it didn't happen. fast forward to when the game was about to drop. the resurgence should have happened then...but 50 messed that up. kicked game out of g unit and messed up both g unit AND game's career IMHO. neither have been the same since.

there's nobody right now thats going to bring the west back. its going to take more than one person just like with ny. nipsey hussle isn't bringing the west back just like vado isn't bringing the east back. not by their selves. its going to take a movement.

Lil B gets hated on because he aint insecure. IMO he's one of the more interesting artists in the game right now... he's one of the few new artists who doesn't have to try to have his own sound. Whether you like it or not is another thing entirely... he got some songs that I like alot tho.

EDIT: And that's besides the fact that he aint really new. He been with The Pack... he just aint been solo before.

Last edited by Nineties Flava; 08-27-2010 at 10:55 PM..

Old 08-27-2010, 10:42 PM

anyone post wu massacre yet?

YouTube - Method Man, Ghostface, & Raekwon - Gunshowers (2010)

Old 08-27-2010, 10:42 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,181,390 times
The one dude who I think is really holding California down right now is J-Rock.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:04 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,324,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Actually I can be serious. If yall want to play the "all of your 'good' artists are old as dirt" card... rofl.

I'm not even hating on NY here... its the truth. For some reason, NY has become increasingly stagnant... creativity seems to have disappeared from the NY hip hop community for the most part. The last NY artist I heard who sounded original was Corey Gunz... I only like a couple songs from him but at least he's trying different. Most of the new school NY rappers are still rapping on vintage premo beats ffs... Premo himself sounds like he's stuck in the late 90's/early 2000's. All the beats out of NY sound the same these days... same soul samples flipped a billion times with the same ****ty drum patterns and non existent bass lines.

Vado sounds like yet another NY-rapper-saving-hip-hop to add to the pile. The vast majority of the 90's NY rappers should have dropped the mic years ago (Nas, Jay Z, Cam'Ron, AZ, Shyne, etc.). I'm still like a lot of 90's NY stuff, but the 2000's were a pretty bad decade for NY. The only 90's NY artist who consistently proved he had a place in the new decade imo was Ghostface.
I can't really blame you because you are on the West Coast so I doubt you hear a lot of East stuff and vice versa for a lot of the East Coast. In the last couple of years NY has stepped it's beats up, there's songs with crazy beats but overall it's still not there yet imo. It did seem somewhat stagnant to me as well, I got tired of the 2000's era gangsta rap and I'd say overall NY/NJ drifted towards making good music. I drifted further into other genres (even Country) during that time period so now I really listen to everything but NY has changed. I wouldn't say the 2000's were a bad decade for the East & West, they ran the 90's and then the popularity shifted to the South. I mean you can only dominate for so long, I don't even like the regional domination, I think 2010 was the start of a more the whole country thing instead of one region having everything on smash.

There's more original artists from NY than Cory Gunz (he's a beast). I only like original artists, I don't like the Jim Jones's and other kinda corny artists.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
such as...? and west coast isn't "re-surging." west coast hip hop really isn't heard outside of the west coast with like two exceptions. even then the play they get is extremely limited elsewhere.

the south has been full of one hit wonders and songs that are hot but lack substance. obviously that doesn't apply to every southern artist but most of the stuff coming out of the south is just for the moment. we'll only be talking about a few efforts out of that region 10 years later from now. watch.

off topic a lil bit but the illest ppl out of the south took from ny, put a twang to it or drew the words out (or both) and were able to get respect from everybody as far as lyrics/bar structure.

Correction: Extremely limited in NY.

And the south been hot... yall just aint hearing it.

G-Side
Killa Kyleon
Money Waters
Killer Mike
Curren$y
Big K.R.I.T.
J. Cole
K-Rino (been doing it.. southern legend still killing it)
J Dawg
Z-Ro
Clipse

Old 08-27-2010, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I can't really blame you because you are on the West Coast so I doubt you hear a lot of East stuff and vice versa for a lot of the East Coast. In the last couple of years NY has stepped it's beats up, there's songs with crazy beats but overall it's still not there yet imo. It did seem somewhat stagnant to me as well, I got tired of the 2000's era gangsta rap and I'd say overall NY/NJ drifted towards making good music. I drifted further into other genres (even Country) during that time period so now I really listen to everything but NY has changed. I wouldn't say the 2000's were a bad decade for the East & West, they ran the 90's and then the popularity shifted to the South. I mean you can only dominate for so long, I don't even like the regional domination, I think 2010 was the start of a more the whole country thing instead of one region having everything on smash.

There's more original artists from NY than Cory Gunz (he's a beast). I only like original artists, I don't like the Jim Jones's and other kinda corny artists.

Give me some recommendations on some new NY... I'm always open to new stuff. My tune can be changed... there just has to be a reason. lol

While I'm at it, here's a couple new west coast tracks (recommendations):

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City