Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 05:24 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,691,623 times

Advertisements

i have another example. lets take old school artists...rakim, big daddy kane...ppl would call them the top lyricists for their time, correct?

so would ll cool j be considered rap and not hip hop because ppl consider him pop? cuz the dude was also a lyricist and could go against anybody from 85-89+.

what about somebody like run from rundmc? rundmc was a crossover sensation, pop, etc. but run was dope lyrically for his time.

what about public enemy? their content was on some black militant stuff but they were a crossover sensation and had a huge "pop" hit in fight the power. are they not hip hop?

lets fast forward to our time period. wayne can be just as lyrical and have similar content to a mos def, talib, etc. and anyone that thinks otherwise, listen to the drought and dedication mixtape series.
50 has pop hits but the g unit radio series is definitely east coast hip hop ish.

jones is no lyricist but his efforts on come home with me (cam's album) are hip hop. period.

etc. etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 05:29 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,691,623 times
an example of why you can't really pigeon hole rap artists into being either hip hop or rappers:

YouTube - LL cool J Freestyle with Jam Master Jay the Turntables

remember, thats the same guy that brought you around the way girl, doin it, loungin, hey lover, i need love, etc.

but remember he also brought you the entire radio album which was def only some bboy ish, jack the ripper, mama said knock you out, etc.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:48 PM

222 posts, read 576,796 times
I would pick NY. But Toronto has the biggest hockey culture anywhere they just love Hockey its their national sport.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:03 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,694,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
so whats the difference between upstarts in 2010 getting fruity loops from a torrent site because they can't afford an mpc/turntables/a keyboard and upstarts in the late 70s/early 80s getting turntables because they couldn't afford instruments??

wayne, jones, 50, talib, mos def, etc. are all rappers and hip hop artists. just because one has different content in their music doesn't mean they should be separated and looked down upon.
I know, I know. But I think you at least get what I'm trying to say. (or write)... I'm an avid hip-hop guy. that's my stuff. You wouldn't know if you saw me. But that's what I like. But I'll often get friends that will say "Hey did you get the new Eminem CD?!?!" because they think that's the type of Hip Hop (rap) that I love. But it's not. It cannot be further from what I like. I often put in some Hip Hop stuff around my friends adn they are like "WTF is this, this sure isn't rap that I'm used to"

Maybe there is a fine line between pop/rap/hip hop that often gets pretty fuzzy. IDK?

It's interesting to see that Hip Hop has finally become dynamic enough that there are different avenues... It's not so cut-and-dry. "This is rap, this isn't"... Plus Hip Hop has made a huge splash in the Pop Music scene that it's almost safe to say that Pop Music is pretty much a form of Hip Hop? Is that a stretch?

Old 08-20-2010, 10:49 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,146,662 times
eek, I know exactly what you mean and LL is definitely one of the best lyricists ever. People forget dude was a battle rapper before he even made those pop songs, so his street cred/respect is well endowed. Jay-Z is my favorite rapper, whenever I say that to people the Jay haters always mention his more pop-style songs like Girls, Girls, Girls and Big Pimpin'. But thats when I have to smack them in the face with the WHOLE Reasonable Doubt album, and songs like Never Change, and Heart Of The City, Allure, Song Cry, just as a couple of examples. At the end of the day the commercial stuff is the stuff that sells. So basically it's more about being business-minded when you make a radio hit than "dumming it down". There are exceptions to that as well though.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:58 PM

14,169 posts, read 22,574,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
I know, I know. But I think you at least get what I'm trying to say. (or write)... I'm an avid hip-hop guy. that's my stuff. You wouldn't know if you saw me. But that's what I like. But I'll often get friends that will say "Hey did you get the new Eminem CD?!?!" because they think that's the type of Hip Hop (rap) that I love. But it's not. It cannot be further from what I like. I often put in some Hip Hop stuff around my friends adn they are like "WTF is this, this sure isn't rap that I'm used to"

Maybe there is a fine line between pop/rap/hip hop that often gets pretty fuzzy. IDK?

It's interesting to see that Hip Hop has finally become dynamic enough that there are different avenues... It's not so cut-and-dry. "This is rap, this isn't"... Plus Hip Hop has made a huge splash in the Pop Music scene that it's almost safe to say that Pop Music is pretty much a form of Hip Hop? Is that a stretch?
Hip-hop has also influenced mainstream heavy metal too, to a degree. Notice the vocal cadences in songs done by bands like Linkin Park or Disturbed.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:10 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,800,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaTwins View Post

In fact Alabam-Huntsville is the only southern school to offer men's college hockey. Largely because of the large number of aerospace engineers relocated there from the north.
division 1, maybe. but there are plenty of other schools that have intramural and club ice hockey

Old 08-23-2010, 03:02 PM

3,639 posts, read 8,269,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
I don't think I ever answered this question. I'm going with Chicago, I mean the Blackhawks just won the Stanley Cup. And you can't go wrong with guys like Common, Lupe Fiasco, Kanye West, and Twista.
the chicago scene is rising right now but honestly i dont think chicago has made an impact on the industry, well not as much as other cities. I mean common and twist been rappin for 20 years, and da brat did her thing. But other than that not to many artists have come out the city

Anyways just hear wiz khalifa's "never been" or something like that. Joints crazy

mas23

Old 08-25-2010, 11:01 AM

320 posts, read 713,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
the chicago scene is rising right now but honestly i dont think chicago has made an impact on the industry, well not as much as other cities. I mean common and twist been rappin for 20 years, and da brat did her thing. But other than that not to many artists have come out the city

Anyways just hear wiz khalifa's "never been" or something like that. Joints crazy

mas23
What!?! Kanye ain't making an impact? R u serious? Besides being one of the most popular rappers in the world. He also one of the hottest and most sought after producer. He made the Blue Print album what it is. IMHO, Kanye helped clean up Jay-Z's public image, since most of mainstream society generally saw him just as another "thug rapper". He's probably made a bigger impact on hip hop than most rappers today especially in fashion. Rappers weren't rockin Louis Vuitton backpacks, shutter shades -fitted jeans, button ups and polo sweaters b4 Kanyeezy.

Common has been around for 20 years, but since Kanye's arrival he's blown up. Everywhere you look, he's in a new movie.

Twista hasn't made that much of an impact outside of the CHI, but rappers are still lining up for collaborations.

Lupe Fiasco isn't getting as much play on the airways, but he's definately making his presence known in hip hop. He's still considered on of the most respected conscious rapper in the industry and is a lyrically genious. Also, cuz of him, its cool to be a skateboarder in the hood. I ain't neva seen so many skateboarders on the south and westside. He's given that culture a voice in hip hop.

Da Brat was one of the hottest female rappers in the 90's. She's the first female rapper to have a platinum selling album.

Other up and coming rappers:

Kidz in the Hall (Naledge), Kid Sister, The Cool Kids, Rhymefest, Young berg, etc.

Crucial Conflict and Do or Die are one hit wonders, but those songs were very popular songs in the 90's.

Another interesting fact: House Music, which originated in Chicago, has had a major impact on on the Hip Hop sound as well.

I do admitt that Chicago's "hip hop scene" isn't nearly as strong as NY, LA, or ATL is. Most Chi Town rappers had to leave the city to find success.

Oh yeah.... And our hockey scene is great also. Blackhawks 2010 Stanley Cup Champions!!! It's not Toronto or Detroit, but with 10 million people in the area (2.8 mill in the city alone), I'm pretty sure you will find some hockey fans.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:41 PM

3,639 posts, read 8,269,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suburban_boy View Post
What!?! Kanye ain't making an impact? R u serious? Besides being one of the most popular rappers in the world. He also one of the hottest and most sought after producer. He made the Blue Print album what it is. IMHO, Kanye helped clean up Jay-Z's public image, since most of mainstream society generally saw him just as another "thug rapper". He's probably made a bigger impact on hip hop than most rappers today especially in fashion. Rappers weren't rockin Louis Vuitton backpacks, shutter shades -fitted jeans, button ups and polo sweaters b4 Kanyeezy.

Common has been around for 20 years, but since Kanye's arrival he's blown up. Everywhere you look, he's in a new movie.

Twista hasn't made that much of an impact outside of the CHI, but rappers are still lining up for collaborations.

Lupe Fiasco isn't getting as much play on the airways, but he's definately making his presence known in hip hop. He's still considered on of the most respected conscious rapper in the industry and is a lyrically genious. Also, cuz of him, its cool to be a skateboarder in the hood. I ain't neva seen so many skateboarders on the south and westside. He's given that culture a voice in hip hop.

Da Brat was one of the hottest female rappers in the 90's. She's the first female rapper to have a platinum selling album.

Other up and coming rappers:

Kidz in the Hall (Naledge), Kid Sister, The Cool Kids, Rhymefest, Young berg, etc.

Crucial Conflict and Do or Die are one hit wonders, but those songs were very popular songs in the 90's.

Another interesting fact: House Music, which originated in Chicago, has had a major impact on on the Hip Hop sound as well.

I do admitt that Chicago's "hip hop scene" isn't nearly as strong as NY, LA, or ATL is. Most Chi Town rappers had to leave the city to find success.

Oh yeah.... And our hockey scene is great also. Blackhawks 2010 Stanley Cup Champions!!! It's not Toronto or Detroit, but with 10 million people in the area (2.8 mill in the city alone), I'm pretty sure you will find some hockey fans.
u really think kanye was the one who got jay to clean his image? I dunno I figured it was more of an age thing but i agree i think him (and even lupe) had influence on hip hop music and fashion cuz before 2006 everybody was wearing throwbacks and and super baggy jeans ect. lol.
Anyways the reason why i said chicago scene wasnt all that strong was because, like u said, everyone always has to go out of town to get noticed.

mas23
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City