Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: SoCal or SoTex
Southern California 60 75.95%
South Texas 19 24.05%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 02:39 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,580,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayalevi View Post
You can go out without breaking the bank.
Personally I would go with SoCal, but make good points, mayalevi. South Texas is a great area and offers many things. What would make if perfect for me is if Corpus had at least San Antonio's downtown, with good vibrancy and activities, but cleaner and more modern, and if it had better landscaping throughout it(not just on the beach) and more of a pro-growth attitude. I would move there in a heartbeat if that were the case.

Last edited by Lovely95; 08-10-2010 at 02:51 PM.. Reason: spelling error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 02:44 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,172,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayalevi View Post
Houston isn't considered S. TX....
No but I wanted to make it a little more fair population wise.

SoCal

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii206/nadinery/Christmas%20San%20Diego%202007/sandiego2007067.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-10-2010, 02:49 PM

354 posts, read 712,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
Personally I would go with SoCal, but make good points, mayalevi. South Texas is a great area and offers many things. What would make if perfect for me is if Corpus had at least San Antonio's downtown, with good vibrancy and acivities, but cleaner and more modern, and if it had better landscaping throughout it(not just on the beach) and more of a pro-growth attitude. I would move there in a heartbeat if that were the case.
Agreed. I considered taking a teaching job in Corpus (I have to stay here this year to finish out my teaching cert, then I am going back to L.A. to teach in the sister school to the school I will be at here). The thought of living cheaply on the beach did appeal to me--but there isn't the activity that San Antonio has...sigh...

Old 08-10-2010, 02:51 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
South Texas (minus Houston):

http://www.topazlabs.com/forum/members/larsjames-albums-james-larson-www-magicpixel-biz-picture3132-texas-hill-country-waterfall.jpg (broken link)

San Antonio:
http://i.pbase.com/v3/69/502169/1/50768951.bridge.JPG (broken link)

Corpus Christi:

http://brierfield.org/albums/album01/Corpus_Christi_beach_2006_050.sized.jpg (broken link)
http://brierfield.org/albums/album01/Corpus_Christi_beach_2006_043.sized.jpg (broken link)
http://cache.virtualtourist.com/2740600-Travel_Picture-Corpus_Christi.png (broken link)

Here is a great picture of Texas Hill Country and due to copy right I cannot post it, but here is a link:
http://joelowery.com/pages/hillcount...tusSunsetL.jpg
And here is another:
http://joelowery.com/pages/hillcount...rningBushL.jpg

I'm glad that for once I didn't have to use Houston, I think South Texas has a lot of pretty places without having to bring Houston into the discussion. Yeah California is prettier by far, and California has better and more established cities in Southern California than South Texas does (this is minus Houston) but San Antonio, Corpus Christi, & South Padre are great at what they do.

And as a reminder, I still voted for Southern California, and I still like it more, but South Texas has some cool stuff going on, with or without Houston. lol

Old 08-10-2010, 02:53 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy19 View Post
Criteria:
- Public transportation
Both are horrible in terms of rail. Los Angeles may be improving but its rail system is pathetic considering the size of the city. However its bus system is very good. Southern Cal wins this.

Quote:
- Food
Southern Cal

Quote:
- Education
It's hard to beat the impressive lineup of Southern Cal, UCLA, and Cal Tech.

Quote:
- Recreational activities
Southern Cal by far...it's likely the #1 area in the country for recreational activities and weather. You've got the beach and beautiful mountains.

Quote:
- Natural scenery
Southern Cal in a landslide.

Quote:
- Population (city, MSA, CSA, etc.)
I don't see why this matters...but Southern Cal has a much larger population than South Texas.

Quote:
- Skyline
I'll take Southern Cal here too. I'd say the skylines of Houston and Los Angeles are tied...but San Diego's waterfront skyline is very charming and gives SoCal the edge.

Quote:
SoCal for both of these too.

Quote:
- Diversity (people)
Both have very strong hispanic cultural representation, but Los Angeles has a very strong Asian influence too.

Quote:
- Nightlife
I don't know...but I'd assume the combo of Los Angeles & San Diego beats Houston pretty solidly.

In the end, this wasn't a very good comparison (at least not from my perspective).

Old 08-10-2010, 03:07 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,110,118 times
I would have to say southern Cali but not to many other regions would compete either.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:11 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
You know I've actually been to both plenty of times to actually draw a fair comparison here. Unlike some people.

- Public transportation: They both are bad, so there is no point in auto-centric city. Houston AND Los Angeles BOTH are going through a renaissance in rail transportation so that looks promising. San Antonio is too and so is San Diego but not nearly as dramatic.

- Food: Okay, as someone who has been to both, they are even, some of the best Mexican food in the country are located in both. You can get multiple Asian options via Houston WHICH I do everyday since you know I am Asian... so it's not like food options are not available. Good food all around.

- Education: Southern California. USC, UCLA, UCSD, & Cal-Tech VS just like Rice University in Houston.

- Recreational activities: Both have a plethora of things to do, you have to be some idiot to complain when there's South Padre and hills and mountains, get to know the geography first before commenting. Plus they both have big cities with endless options.

- Natural scenery: Southern California wins, and it's got one of the best spots in the country for natural scenery, but South Texas has quite a bit of things going for it too.

- Population (city, MSA, CSA, etc.): Southern California is 20 million strong, that's only 5 million less than all of Texas... so you can tell where this is going.

- Skyline: Personally Houston's is taller and larger, but Los Angeles has a nice scenic background. San Diego does beat out San Antonio. So I don't know because theres still Corpus Christi & South Padre, I guess against Long Beach...

- Location: South Texas has a more central location in the country... both of them don't really make a difference because the regions are large enough to occupy their own sub-culture.

- Weather: Southern California wins this quite so easily.

- Diversity (people): Outside of Houston, Los Angeles. I would say San Diego has San Antonio beat.

- Nightlife: Southern California of course, although I do have fun in Houston with this and have a great time in San Antonio too, it depends on who you go with and stuff more.

Anyways that takes care of the criteria. Overall Southern California is outstandingly ahead of the game. But unlike some posters whose every post is either uninformed since they have not visited either or, I gave a fair assessment without annoying the hell out of other people. I mean how are you going to pick a food category when you haven't even been to both or in this case even one of the regions? And I don't even care if this person finds it offensive, visit it then talk like you know. I mean that is like me talking about Cape Cod Massachusetts without having ever been...

PS- I'm freakin Asian, and I live a great life in one of these so called "non-diverse" regions... aghhhh and right after I went on my how much I hate stupidity & ignorance and subtle hatred masked by polite wording... rant earlier today.

But yeah overall: Southern California wins!

Last edited by DANNYY; 08-10-2010 at 03:55 PM.. Reason: Had to add more into it

Old 08-10-2010, 03:13 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,762,561 times
Southern California

Old 08-10-2010, 03:45 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
South California and I've never been there. Horrible comparison; South Texas is just an extension of Mexico.

Old 08-10-2010, 04:15 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,386,687 times
I'm not sure the comparison between Southern California and South Texas is fair. It's almost like comparing Texas to New Mexico or California to Arizona. I think a fairer comparison would be between Southern California and the entire state of Texas. Population is just one aspect where it is an unfair comparison.

Nice photos though, especially those of Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City