Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2015, 11:03 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,957,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
Funny but after being here almost 4 years I've never had any other these problems. But,I'm in the W Valley so the bugs must like all you better over there in the East side.
It just varies by where the water is.

Phoenix w/ all of the flood irrigation has some really nasty **** roaches. But on the fringes on either side are a lot of brown garden spiders and crickets.

Tucson has a lot of open air washes all over town, they get nasty flying Palo Verde beetles and **** roaches who migrate to the water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 12:41 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,946,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
It just varies by where the water is.

Phoenix w/ all of the flood irrigation has some really nasty **** roaches. But on the fringes on either side are a lot of brown garden spiders and crickets.

Tucson has a lot of open air washes all over town, they get nasty flying Palo Verde beetles and **** roaches who migrate to the water.
I can say after living here 9 years that I have not had any real bug problems, roaches are every state in the country but I have only seen a few in 9 years here in AZ.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:43 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,567,829 times
Arizona wins it for me!

Old 09-28-2015, 02:28 PM

75 posts, read 108,667 times
As someone whose lived in both Arizona and Florida, I've come to view Arizona as a place for people who can't afford an analogous lifestyle in Florida. That's one of the reasons why there are more transplants from the low-cost Midwest in Arizona, and more transplants from the high-cost Northeast in Florida.

IMHO, Arizona is a cheaper for a reason, too - there's no coastline or world-class cities, summers are oppressively hot (much hotter than anywhere in Florida - don't even try to argue with me on that one), winters are colder, it's less diverse, dining and entertainment options are more limited, the landscape and scenery is very brown (although I personally admire the scenery of the Sonoran desert), air pollution is terrible (at least in Greater Phoenix), the politics and general populace are more conservative, there's a very low number of higher educational institutions relative to the size of the state's population, the cities are very isolated, public K-12 education is of exceptionally poor quality and terribly underfunded, etc.

You get the picture.

Although I found people friendlier and more pleasant in Arizona than Florida, I don't think I'd ever move to back to Arizona because, overall, the interests and priorities of the state's residents are too much of a departure from the person I've grown up to become.

That's not to say I would ever move back to Florida, either. But I think that - hands tied, gun to my head - I'd be more inclined to move back there than to Arizona, mostly because I prefer the weather, beaches/coastline and amenities. Plus, I have quite a bit of family and a number of friends in Florida, too.

Old 09-28-2015, 02:41 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times
Population check:

Arizona is the 15th most populous state with 6.7 million people.

Florida is the 3rd most populous state with 19.8 million people.

Old 09-28-2015, 02:49 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,471,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont_Boy View Post
As someone whose lived in both Arizona and Florida, I've come to view Arizona as a place for people who can't afford an analogous lifestyle in Florida. That's one of the reasons why there are more transplants from the low-cost Midwest in Arizona, and more transplants from the high-cost Northeast in Florida.

IMHO, Arizona is a cheaper for a reason, too - there's no coastline or world-class cities, summers are oppressively hot (much hotter than anywhere in Florida - don't even try to argue with me on that one), winters are colder, it's less diverse, dining and entertainment options are more limited, the landscape and scenery is very brown (although I personally admire the scenery of the Sonoran desert), air pollution is terrible (at least in Greater Phoenix), the politics and general populace are more conservative, there's a very low number of higher educational institutions relative to the size of the state's population, the cities are very isolated, public K-12 education is of exceptionally poor quality and terribly underfunded, etc.

You get the picture.

Although I found people friendlier and more pleasant in Arizona than Florida, I don't think I'd ever move to back to Arizona because, overall, the interests and priorities of the state's residents are too much of a departure from the person I've grown up to become.

That's not to say I would ever move back to Florida, either. But I think that - hands tied, gun to my head - I'd be more inclined to move back there than to Arizona, mostly because I prefer the weather, beaches/coastline and amenities. Plus, I have quite a bit of family and a number of friends in Florida, too.
LOL wow what type of utopia florida did you live in and which alternative universe was it in? The "world class" city of Miami was voted most miserable city in America by forbes. I spent a summer in Central florida once and WOW was it miserable, way more so than a dry PHX summer, but that is my opinion. In terms of populace Northern Florida is one of the most racist and conservative parts of the country I have ever been to. I think Florida serves as a way better vacation spot but in terms of living I think AZ beats it.

Old 09-28-2015, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
LOL wow what type of utopia florida did you live in and which alternative universe was it in? The "world class" city of Miami was voted most miserable city in America by forbes. I spent a summer in Central florida once and WOW was it miserable, way more so than a dry PHX summer, but that is my opinion. In terms of populace Northern Florida is one of the most racist and conservative parts of the country I have ever been to. I think Florida serves as a way better vacation spot but in terms of living I think AZ beats it.
Miami is definitely more dynamic, urbane, international and cosmopolitan than Phoenix, and a lot of that is due to the diverse makeup of the city's populace, its strategic location, it's designation as the "Capital of Latin America," a greater emphasis on the arts, etc.

Miami is also a strikingly beautiful city, both in terms of cityscape and natural setting. There are very few cities that sparkle quite like Miami with sleek, modern skyscrapers; art-deco buildings; beautiful beaches for miles on end; etc. Plus, no city in the continental US has warmer winters than Miami.

Objectively, Miami has a lot more going for it than Phoenix. However, I do find the people and culture of Miami to be overwhelming at times - rude, pushy, hostile, aggressive, transient, Latin-dominated. Drivers are angry and maniacal. Discrimination against non-Hispanic people is very apparent, and most people won't speak English, even if they're proficient. Lots of bad debtors, scammers, pedophiles, ghetto thugs, mafioso-types, etc. - they don't call Miami a "sunny place for shady people" for nothing!

Albeit difficult, if you can compartmentalize and move past the people and culture of Miami, I think the city is a much better alternative to Phoenix and certainly Tucson.

If you swap out mountains for theme parks, Orlando is basically a subtropical version of Phoenix - very transient with a service-oriented economy, low wages and very few institutions of higher learning. All of these factors foster a general atmosphere that's largely characterized by apathy and hopelessness.

However, I do believe that if you can swing a well-paying gig in Orlando, you're probably better off there than in Phoenix. Some of the older, more established areas in and around Orlando, such as Winter Park for example, are much more beautiful and quaint (while maintaining semblance of seclusion with larger lots, tree-lined streets, etc.) than anything you'd ever find in the Phoenix area. In the Miami area, the areas equivalent to Winter Park would be Coral Gables and Pinecrest.

My experience with Tampa is much more limited than Miami and Orlando, so I can't speak intelligently on how the city and metro area compares to Phoenix or Tucson, but I think most people would prefer to live in an upscale existence in South Tampa or on Davis Island than anywhere in Arizona. YMMV.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:40 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,020,576 times
You've touched on many points except the most obvious one. What if a person absolutely hates humidity? Are you saying they're going to be happier in Florida over Arizona? I moved here from Tampa two years ago and I'm happier here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont_Boy View Post
Miami is definitely more dynamic, urbane, international and cosmopolitan than Phoenix, and a lot of that is due to the diverse makeup of the city's populace, its strategic location, it's designation as the "Capital of Latin America," a greater emphasis on the arts, etc.

Miami is also a strikingly beautiful city, both in terms of cityscape and natural setting. There are very few cities that sparkle quite like Miami with sleek, modern skyscrapers; art-deco buildings; beautiful beaches for miles on end; etc. Plus, no city in the continental US has warmer winters than Miami.

Objectively, Miami has a lot more going for it than Phoenix. However, I do find the people and culture of Miami to be overwhelming at times - rude, pushy, hostile, aggressive, transient, Latin-dominated. Drivers are angry and maniacal. Discrimination against non-Hispanic people is very apparent, and most people won't speak English, even if they're proficient. Lots of bad debtors, scammers, pedophiles, ghetto thugs, mafioso-types, etc. - they don't call Miami a "sunny place for shady people" for nothing!

Albeit difficult, if you can compartmentalize and move past the people and culture of Miami, I think the city is a much better alternative to Phoenix and certainly Tucson.

If you swap out mountains for theme parks, Orlando is basically a subtropical version of Phoenix - very transient with a service-oriented economy, low wages and very few institutions of higher learning. All of these factors foster a general atmosphere that's largely characterized by apathy and hopelessness.

However, I do believe that if you can swing a well-paying gig in Orlando, you're probably better off there than in Phoenix. Some of the older, more established areas in and around Orlando, such as Winter Park for example, are much more beautiful and quaint (while maintaining semblance of seclusion with larger lots, tree-lined streets, etc.) than anything you'd ever find in the Phoenix area. In the Miami area, the areas equivalent to Winter Park would be Coral Gables and Pinecrest.

My experience with Tampa is much more limited than Miami and Orlando, so I can't speak intelligently on how the city and metro area compares to Phoenix or Tucson, but I think most people would prefer to live in an upscale existence in South Tampa or on Davis Island than anywhere in Arizona. YMMV.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:46 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,884,494 times
Exclamation Arizona better quality of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComposerRyan View Post
I have been researching Florida A LOT and have narrowed it down to moving to the Winter Springs area...that is, IF I feel that Florida is the right place for me. I still have a couple months to decide on this.

I've also been recently looking at Arizona for its always-sunny weather and great housing.

So, I realize I'm posting in the Florida forums, but what is your opinion on these two states?

As you can see, I'm still trying to decide!
Having Lived in both places (now I reside in S Florida) Arizona hands down. You miss the Clear Blue skies and the dry heat. AZ is a better quality of life.

I regret moving from Arizona, but Family required us to move back. Hope to return next year.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
You've touched on many points except the most obvious one. What if a person absolutely hates humidity? Are you saying they're going to be happier in Florida over Arizona? I moved here from Tampa two years ago and I'm happier here.
To be quite frank, the Arizona monsoon season begins in mid-to-late June and ends in early-to-mid September. During that time frame, dew points and relative humidity levels are exceptionally high for a desert area, and often occur in accordance with temperatures greater than 95F.

I think anyone in their right mind would be gladly take 82F and pouring rain in Miami over 102F and drizzly rain in Phoenix. At that point, to argue and say that the humidity in Florida is more unpleasant than the allegedly "dry heat" of Phoenix is disingenuous at best.

One of my biggest qualms with Arizona locals was their reluctance to admit just how humid and for how long Phoenix and especially Tucson can get in the summertime during monsoon season. Coincidentally, the most humid part of the year also happens to be the hottest part of the year. So much for, "It's a dry heat!"

The sun is less intense in Florida, too. Plus, in Florida, you get more "breaks," so to speak, from the intense heat and sunlight during the hottest part of the year in the form of cloud cover, shade trees, daily afternoon thunderstorms, days of rain due to passing tropical systems, etc.

Although I dislike the intense humidity of Florida (I prefer the mild humidity of coastal California), humidity is much healthier for your skin, eyes and nasal passages to name a few body parts than the extremely dry air of Arizona.

Oh, yeah - no Valley Fever in Florida, either.

Again, there's a reason why there are 13-14 million more people living in Florida than in Arizona.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City