Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City Do you Prefer?
Charleston, SC 87 53.05%
New Orleans 77 46.95%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 11:53 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times

Advertisements

Art: Charleston
Music: Charleston
Food: Charleston
Walk-ability: Charleston
Natural Amenities (beaches, swamps, etc.): Charleston, beach is better
History: Charleston
Lifestyle: Charleston, more upper class
Weather: Charelston
Entertainment: Charleston
QOL: Charleston
COL: Charleston
crime: Charleston, it's safer

I would live in Charleston. It's a really historic city with a lot of good qualities.

Old 04-01-2016, 05:29 AM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Art: Charleston
Music: Charleston
Food: Charleston
Walk-ability: Charleston
Natural Amenities (beaches, swamps, etc.): Charleston, beach is better
History: Charleston
Lifestyle: Charleston, more upper class
Weather: Charelston
Entertainment: Charleston
QOL: Charleston
COL: Charleston
crime: Charleston, it's safer

I would live in Charleston. It's a really historic city with a lot of good qualities.
Come on now....lololol. NOLA takes music and entertainment easily. Food and history are closer categories and are at least ties if not an edge to NOLA. NOLA takes walkability too. Lifestyle, natural amenities, location, weather, and QOL are subjective categories.

I'm not disputing your preference for Charleston, but it simply does NOT sweep every category here.

Old 04-01-2016, 05:36 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,707,766 times
Art: Charleston - There are art vendors all over the place in Charleston. I didn't see this in NOLA.

Music: New Orleans - Jazz... Need I say more

Food: New Orleans - Cajun, Creole, plus 100s of other top rated restaurants.

Walk-ability: New Orleans - Unless you live in the historic area of Charleston, the city isn't very walkable.

Natural Amenities (beaches, swamps, etc.): Charleston - Charleston is close to several beaches

History: This one is a tie - Charleston has a longer history, but NOLA has an interesting history as well

Location: Charleston - Because it's on the East Coast, it has easier access to large cities

Lifestyle: Charleston - Just seems like a happier place to live

Weather: Charleston - NOLA is VERY hot and muggy. Charleston is too, but not as bad as NOLA

Entertainment: New Orleans - Jazz music, film festivals, voodoo fest, Mardi Gras, the list goes on...

QOL: Charleston - Both places have their crime problems, but NOLA is definitely worse

COL: This one is tricky. It is hard to find an affordable place to live in the historic area of Charleston. However, North Charleston has some great subdivisions. New Orleans can be affordable outside of the French quarter, but suburbs aren't so great.

Old 04-01-2016, 06:59 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,330,601 times
They're hard to compare because New Orleans feels like a big city and Charleston feels more like a small city. They're just in very different leagues of city feel.

Overall, from a visitor perspective, New Orleans has a ton more to do and see, and is far more iconic. Charleston is nice too, but is kind of a sleepy retirement-oriented metro for affluent Northerners.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:41 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,707,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
They're hard to compare because New Orleans feels like a big city and Charleston feels more like a small city. They're just in very different leagues of city feel.

Overall, from a visitor perspective, New Orleans has a ton more to do and see, and is far more iconic. Charleston is nice too, but is kind of a sleepy retirement-oriented metro for affluent Northerners.
I think that's the key. New Orleans seems like the better place to live and work. It's also a great place to visit. Charleston is also a great place to visit, but I think living there would be boring.

Old 04-01-2016, 10:31 AM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post

Charleston is more multifaceted than that. If it were nothing more than a huge retirement community, it wouldn't be scoring huge economic wins like Boeing, Mercedes-Benz/Daimler, and Volvo.

What I've noticed in big tourist hubs like these two cities is that a lot of locals tend to avoid the more touristy parts of the city. NOLA has great neighborhoods with local spots outside of the French Quarter; Charleston doesn't have as many but it does have the beach communities which NOLA can't offer.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:50 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,511,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Art: Charleston - There are art vendors all over the place in Charleston. I didn't see this in NOLA.

Music: New Orleans - Jazz... Need I say more

Food: New Orleans - Cajun, Creole, plus 100s of other top rated restaurants.

Walk-ability: New Orleans - Unless you live in the historic area of Charleston, the city isn't very walkable.

Natural Amenities (beaches, swamps, etc.): Charleston - Charleston is close to several beaches

History: This one is a tie - Charleston has a longer history, but NOLA has an interesting history as well

Location: Charleston - Because it's on the East Coast, it has easier access to large cities

Lifestyle: Charleston - Just seems like a happier place to live

Weather: Charleston - NOLA is VERY hot and muggy. Charleston is too, but not as bad as NOLA

Entertainment: New Orleans - Jazz music, film festivals, voodoo fest, Mardi Gras, the list goes on...

QOL: Charleston - Both places have their crime problems, but NOLA is definitely worse

COL: This one is tricky. It is hard to find an affordable place to live in the historic area of Charleston. However, North Charleston has some great subdivisions. New Orleans can be affordable outside of the French quarter, but suburbs aren't so great.
Great assessment. Some of the suburban areas around Charleston and other areas of the city itself are affordable. But, yes, the historic district is very expensive. But that would be the case with any area with homes that grand. We're 3 hours away and LOVE visiting there regularly. We honeymooned there too. Simply an awesome place!

Old 04-05-2016, 12:53 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,511,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'd give walkability to NOLA; it's more walkable outside of its core than Charleston, where walkability is largely restricted to the peninsula (which isn't exactly a small area, to be sure).
You're actually right, now that I think of it.

Old 04-05-2016, 02:46 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Come on now....lololol. NOLA takes music and entertainment easily. Food and history are closer categories and are at least ties if not an edge to NOLA. NOLA takes walkability too. Lifestyle, natural amenities, location, weather, and QOL are subjective categories.

I'm not disputing your preference for Charleston, but it simply does NOT sweep every category here.
I prefer the gullah and beach style music of Charleston. I also prefer Charleston's more compact clean streets to stroll in the downtown area. There are neat shops, and things to do besides drink and party. I chose Charleston, and I'm not changing because someone suggests I should.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:16 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I prefer the gullah and beach style music of Charleston. I also prefer Charleston's more compact clean streets to stroll in the downtown area. There are neat shops, and things to do besides drink and party. I chose Charleston, and I'm not changing because someone suggests I should.
You would prefer dirty bath water over anything to do with New Orleans. We know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City