Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 05:04 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,814,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
Really? So it's a conspiracy by the U.S. Census Bureau to hide all the Nigerians living in the Houston Metropolitan Area? Think about it for a minute. Why would they do that?

Don't get worked up BRo. the census is a self reporting thing.
It takes a lot just get people to fill it out. And there is no break down for nigerians on the census.

That long list you posted is not a good break down of diversity comparisons period. The only thing you can go by for the census figures is the city to city comparisons on race, not by national origin. And going by 1st generation makes it even worse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 05:16 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,232,510 times
I've lived in Houston. I didn't like it. I moved.

I've visited DC for a week. I liked it but I'd never move there.
I'd get arrested for throwing eggs at politicians.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:25 PM

699 posts, read 2,230,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
Thats besides the point you are nitpicking the racial diversity index that I provided you. I'm not looking for what "you think" the reason is. Its more racially diverse than Washington DC. I honestly don't care if you agree or not though. You've provided your facts and I have mine the best we can do is agree on it or disagree on the facts and move on. You know? I'm not looking for these cyber debates, lol. Thats all I had wanted to say.

Why is it hard for you to admit that Washington DC is more ethnically diverse and Houston more racially diverse?

Well the OP didn't designate between ethnically diverse and racially diverse. In truth, Houston is technically more "racially" diverse than D.C. since Americans only have 5 designated races: White, Black, Asian, Native American, Native Hawaiian.

So wouldn't dealing with ethnic groups be more relevant to discussions on diversity than racial groups? You do know that if you go by race, Hispanics would count as "White". That's why your data had to have "Non-Hispanic Whites" within the title. Because it's going by racial data with an "extra" filter.

And why group all "Hispanics" together? There are a lot of Central American/South Americans here in the D.C. area that hate that. Lots of them here were rooting AGAINST Mexico in the World Cup just 2 months ago. There is much more to Hispanics than Mexico.

What do you think of when you think of diversity? Do you think about going to the "Spanish" restaurant, then drive through a "black" neighborhood before relaxing at an "Asian" lounge?

I think of going to a "Peruvian" pollo a la brasa restaurant, then drive through an "Ethiopian" neighborhood before going to a "Korean" sul jip or lounge. That's diversity to me. So I ask you again, what is more relevant to the topic? Racial or ethnic diversity?

Quote:
I know what diversity is and what it isn't. I'm Asian, I would know better than a lot of people especially when going into an area that has no one thats from where I am.
I'm Asian. Korean to be exact. So does that mean I'm supposed to know automatically what diversity is and what it isn't? Just as much as you? What does that prove? Who cares. Plenty of whites and blacks here in D.C. and other cities from coast to coast know exactly what diversity is. That's just insulting them.

Last edited by tenken627; 08-27-2010 at 05:37 PM..

Old 08-27-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsfanatic View Post
Shouldn't those numbers add up to be less than 100?

nope. Hispanics are include in whites and then again as a sub group.

been causing trouble ever since they started doing it.

what makes it worse it is not even a race

Old 08-27-2010, 05:39 PM

381 posts, read 811,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McTromba View Post
Diversity-DC. Not just ethnically. Not too many natives-most of the people who live here are originally from somewhere else. It's interesting but somehow it seems as though there is no local "flavor" or "color".

You couldn't be more wrong!

You realize that DC has the moniker of "Chocolate City?" Right?

It has to do with the many natives that make up the majority of the city.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:39 PM

10,138 posts, read 15,962,926 times
Quote:
And why group all "Hispanics" together? There are a lot of Central American/South Americans here in the D.C. area that hate that. Lots of them here were rooting AGAINST Mexico in the World Cup just 2 months ago. There is much more to Hispanics than Mexico.

What do you think of when you think of diversity? Do you think about going to the "Spanish" restaurant, then drive through a "black" neighborhood before relaxing at an "Asian" lounge?
Absolutely not, I think diversity is exactly what the term implies. Diversity itself. There are diversity measures when a dealing with more gay, more younger, more older, more this and that. And to be racially diverse and ethnically diverse are equally important. It depends on how you look at it.

You're constantly playing it out to the point where you want to paint Houston blank and make Washington DC seem far more diverse, its ethnically more diverse, but its not like Houston doesn't have ethnicities represented.

Quote:
I'm Asian. Korean to be exact. So does that mean I'm supposed to know automatically what diversity is and what it isn't? Just as much as you? What does that prove? Who cares. Plenty of whites and blacks here in D.C. and other cities from coast to coast know exactly what diversity is. That's just insulting them.
In all honesty, my post came off hostile because I found yours to be insulting when you said "Mexicans aren't American" culture. That was not cool, many of my Mexican friends consider themselves American and adapt to that culture as such.

No, to me diversity is important thats what I meant. You think I would fit right in more in Houston or some rural place in Texas? Given my background. Think about that for a second and tell me. Thats what I meant. In general what I meant to say that you took the wrong way was that both places have adequate diversity to feel "home" for.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsfanatic View Post

You couldn't be more wrong!

You realize that DC has the moniker of "Chocolate City?" Right?

It has to do with the many natives that make up the majority of the city.

lol it is funny that that person signed up to C-D just to post that one post

Old 08-27-2010, 06:09 PM

699 posts, read 2,230,254 times
Quote:
Absolutely not, I think diversity is exactly what the term implies. Diversity itself. There are diversity measures when a dealing with more gay, more younger, more older, more this and that. And to be racially diverse and ethnically diverse are equally important. It depends on how you look at it.

You're constantly playing it out to the point where you want to paint Houston blank and make Washington DC seem far more diverse, its ethnically more diverse, but its not like Houston doesn't have ethnicities represented.
I agree. There is much more to "diversity" than just racial or ethnic groups. Social, economical, psychological, etc. Diversity is a broad umbrella word. But taken into context of the original post, you would assume that the word diversity means racial/ethnic diversity (as much as it is throughout American society).

I never intended to paint Houston blank. In fact, I even wrote up in my first post on this thread that I was curious. So I looked it up on the most reliable, unbiased place I could find. I actually think that Houston will eventually surpass D.C. in the amount of ethnicities found within their MSAs. This is because Houston is still growing at a massive rate while D.C.'s growth has slowed. I even wrote "as of this moment" D.C. still leads, implying that this may no longer be true in the future.

Quote:
In all honesty, my post came off hostile because I found yours to be insulting when you said "Mexicans aren't American" culture. That was not cool, many of my Mexican friends consider themselves American and adapt to that culture as such.
Like I said, I'm Korean. I'm also American, born and naturalized a U.S. citizen. But I know that there is differences between Korean culture (sub-culture within the U.S.) and mainstream American culture. If that offended you I apologize, but to me there is a difference. I listen to Korean music moreso than American music. I pretty much eat Korean food daily. I go to Korean bars and lounges. But that doesn't mean I'm not American (at least I hope not!). It's not like I'm a fob.

Quote:
No, to me diversity is important thats what I meant. You think I would fit right in more in Houston or some rural place in Texas? Given my background. Think about that for a second and tell me. Thats what I meant. In general what I meant to say that you took the wrong way was that both places have adequate diversity to feel "home" for.

I misunderstood you. I thought you meant to say that you're Asian and just because of that you are entitled to know all about diversity. I was fine until then. I was like "what?? what is that supposed to mean??"

You shouldn't should feel out of place within Houston. More and more ethnic groups (Asians like us) are heading there. Honestly nowadays, there are very few major cities within the U.S. that you would feel "out of place" in, no matter what your background is. And yes I agree with you fully again, diversity is very important to us. I never intended to say that it's a "bad" place for ethnic groups to live. I just wanted to post facts that as of this moment, D.C. has a wider amount of ethnic diversity (which I consider the most relevant term) which HTownLove was disputing.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
HTownLove was disputing.

that was not what I was disputing and you know it

1. I said that foreign born pop was a bad measure of diversity

2. I disputed the number you gave for Africans because one category of Africans are higher in numbers than the number you gave for all Africans, and they are so by more than 3 times

sooooooooooo

Old 08-27-2010, 06:20 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,888,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBrad View Post
Washington DC hands down just because it has a lot more to see than Houston. but outside the museums and china town, Washington D.C. sucks
Houston has more ethnic areas than DC. There are 2 Chinatown's, Korean Town, Little Saigon, & Little India in Houston. There are a butt load of Nigerian places as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City