Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: MD Vs MA
MD 31 50.00%
MA 31 50.00%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 02:28 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,890,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Boston is friendly

Boston is friendly, especially to those who are friendly also. There is a common phrase that is said often, perhaps cliched but true nonetheless, "you get what you give." So in that light your opinion of Boston's unfriendliness and harsh accent was likely preconcieved before you even got here. This post just reflects just a bunch of bickering, judgemental, and defensive jibba jabba, so what would you know about friendly? The post even states you like to argue, so what would you expect otherwise? Settle your scores somewhere else.
I agree with this assessment. How can he toss out an insult as his first statement, then claim that the recipient of the insult is the one that isn't friendly? His statement lacks any logical framework.

Accents are accents, every region has them, so I won't make much of his statement there, but overall I agree that we are a friendly group in Boston. We just won't go out of our way to pretend something that we aren't. Small talk and manners simply for the sake of small talk and manners won't do. But ask us a direct question and we will give you a direct answer. Show respect and you will get the same.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:13 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,450,086 times
That guy saying we aren't friendly makes me want to smash a bottle over his head and scream obscenities in a nasal voice.

Old 10-19-2010, 05:10 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,450,086 times
I don't know about the others but I was just joking around haha

Old 10-19-2010, 05:37 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,759,177 times
Lol its about time somebody calmed down in this situation. Im sorry i said things that offended people. I don't find this type of arguing, about how unfriendly and judgmental (a bit ironic when you think about it) i am because i don't like accents or find some people very friendly, fun at all. This just makes me up tight. Lets forget i said anything. Honestly. I don't come to this board to feel attacked. i come to argue...about cities, as well as tell my opinion on them. If it makes you guys feel any better, most people think Baltimore sucks anyway, and Boston is world renowned.

Old 10-19-2010, 05:50 PM

499 posts, read 667,716 times
Maryland is wealthier than Mass and is more diverse as well as larger geographically. 2-3 of the wealthiest counties in the country are in Maryland. The wealthiest minority majority county is Prince George's and that's in Maryland. Maryland should be the bay state having the largest bay in the Country but idiots run the state and they dont have a clue about marketing so this is the result.

Maryland has three main harbors, Baltimore inner harbor, Annapolis Harbor, and National Harbor. Hopefully soon Westport will be added to the list.

Maryland seems better preserved land wise as well.

The thing I can't stand about Mass are all the incorporated townships, cities etc, redundant layers of government, schools systems etc. This is one strong reason people don't know what their talking about when they say Maryland in part of the North east. Maryland has many large urban unincorporated areas. Maryland talks in terms of counties.

Baltimore and Boston are eerily similar.

Economically Boston is stronger than Baltimore in most areas, but Baltimore has a larger, stronger Port and cruise ships as well. Lets not forget Baltimore has the best hospital in the Nation and Johns Hopkins in no slouch against Harvard and MIT.

If Maryland was more business friendly and actually got serious about solving the Baltimore problem once and for all, no doubt Baltimore would rival Boston for Biotech already, it may happen in my lifetime.

Baltimore also has a greater variety historic structures and architecture especially row homes than Boston.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:51 PM

Harbor East, Baltimore

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q125/pfd103/lm1.jpg (broken link)

Old 10-19-2010, 06:53 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,266,552 times
Maryland. Baltimore over Boston. Ya just gotta feel it.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:55 PM

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q125/pfd103/lm2.jpg (broken link)

Old 10-20-2010, 07:02 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,841,719 times
I would be willing to bet that Billiam didn't encounter many Boston natives when he was here. Most people who travel here spend their time in the areas that cater to the tourists, and the city is full of transplants.

This is that exact same thing you will encounter in NYC. Most people hang around Manhattan and get an impression of unfriendliness. But go to Nassau County or Staten Island or the eastern sections of Brooklyn and you feel like you've been there your whole life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City