Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 11:35 PM

126 posts, read 304,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
While i agree Philly is thriving in Center City.....its neighborhoods are among some of the worst...theres no sugarcoating it......North Philly Germantown Olney Frankford are some serious gettos they rival the worst of baltimore
Isn't that the exact opposite of what this thread is about? This thread is about the positive things of cities that people tend to bash on this site. You just bashed 2 cities that are on the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 11:48 PM

3,084 posts, read 5,237,506 times
The Oakland we rarely get to see:

Aside from the great weather and beautiful cityscape, Oakland is home to a thriving arts scene and one of the most ethnically diverse populations in the entire nation. And unlike many cities that claim diversity for its own sake as one of their selling points, Oakland is very much residentially integrated, and there appears to be very little inter-ethnic tension and strife. Sadly, like many of the other cities mentioned in the OP, Oakland suffers in large part from consistently unflattering media portrayal. It's not all police shootings and riots.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:56 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,749,798 times
Oakland gets bashed by scared San Franciscans and scared tourists (which is largely thanks to the sugarcoating of SF's own crime issues by the SF media and blaming all of the bay area's crime on Oakland). Anybody who lives in the east bay knows that Oakland has a lot going for it. It's unfortunate that SF projects their sugarcoating to the rest of the country but everybody in the bay knows that SF has some of the worst areas in California (Hunter's Point, Sunnydale, Tenderloin, Fillmore, etc.). Oakland has some of the most beautiful neighborhoods in the entire bay area, and it also has one of the largest if not the largest middle class for a major city in the bay area. You can see the city of Oakland as its citizens see it everyday in this thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-f...land-pics.html

Oakland is not a city that can easily be classified or pigeon-holed. All of these pictures are within a 10 block radius:

http://a.imageshack.us/img534/8523/dsc00981b.jpg (broken link)

http://a.imageshack.us/img706/9489/dsc00984mm.jpg (broken link)

http://a.imageshack.us/img90/8655/dsc00971h.jpg (broken link)

http://a.imageshack.us/img706/2538/dsc00942er.jpg (broken link)

http://a.imageshack.us/img46/7838/dsc00949h.jpg (broken link)

http://a.imageshack.us/img96/9535/dsc00950l.jpg (broken link)

http://a.imageshack.us/img521/2272/dsc00953g.jpg (broken link)

I took all of these pictures yesterday.

Last edited by Nineties Flava; 09-02-2010 at 12:04 AM..

Old 09-02-2010, 05:08 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,893,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
BS, you have a point with the majority of north Philly,you would've had a point of including small parts of south philly and much of west and southwest Philly, but your just exaggerating with Germantown, Olney, and Frankford, because there not that bad (the worst of baltimore bad or the rough areas of the cities mentioned in the topic), I'm not saying those neighborhoods are nice and really safe either, they are just not as bad as you try to make them seem.
WTF - Get a clue.....Germantown (Stenton, Chelton, Chew) Olney (Broad Olney, 5th Olney, Rising Sun Av) Frankford are not bad????? who are you kidding...I lived in Philly ok these neighborhood are on the news everynight....

They are only a sampling...would you like me to run down the list.....

Frankford.
Olney
Kensington
North Philly
Germantown
West Oak Lane
Southwest (Woodlawn Ave)
West Philly (52 Market)
South Philly west of Broad - Greys Ferry
Nicetown
Hunting Park
Junita Park
Overbrook (from Malvern toward Morris Park and 69th Street)
Lawncrest
Lawndale
Oxford Circle
Mantua

These are all Significant GHETTO's of Philadelphia....Let be real, you're not talking to someone who only been within Center City, or haven't been to Philadelphia at all...

They don't call it Killadelphia for nothing.

Last edited by Blackbeauty212; 09-02-2010 at 05:18 AM..

Old 09-02-2010, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgsh View Post
Isn't that the exact opposite of what this thread is about? This thread is about the positive things of cities that people tend to bash on this site. You just bashed 2 cities that are on the list.
NOOOOOOOOO!!!!! I'm refuting the people that say Philadelphia does not have a place on this list, because Center City is thriving....but when you look at Philly neighborhoods it absolutely belongs on the list...

Philadelphia's ghetto's can rival's Baltimore's anyday.....Its not bashing when its the god honest truth...Sorry if Philly homers have a problem with that.

You guys love to point out everything great about the city, but wont admit what's wrong with it or try so hard to sugarcoat thing....

Its almost like Philadelphia has become two cities - Center City what the world see's and everything else....and I blame the political leaders for that....Street, Nutter dont care bout anything but Center City, they couldn't give a sh*t about Philly's neighborhoods and that's a shame it got so outta hand cops are actually on the run from the bad guys instead of the other way around like it should be.....

Philly needs a Rudy Guilliani mayor in the worst way.....its a disgrace that while the city's crown jewel flourishes, the rest of the city is a war zone.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:12 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,091,987 times
Quote:
Its almost like Philadelphia has become two cities - Center City what the world see's and everything else....and I blame the political leaders for that....Street, Nutter dont care bout anything but Center City, they couldn't give a sh*t about Philly's neighborhoods and that's a shame it got so outta hand cops are actually on the run from the bad guys instead of the other way around like it should be.....

Philly needs a Rudy Guilliani mayor in the worst way.....its a disgrace that while the city's crown jewel flourishes, the rest of the city is a war zone.
This is where you are wrong. Street was the mayor for the neighborhoods. He's the one that towed abandoned cars. He's the one that came up with the neighborhood transformation initiative. He lives in North Philly.

Rendell was the mayor for Center City, and I'm glad. He took the initiative to remind the world that Philadelphia still exists.

When the world thinks of Philadelphia, they may think of CC, but moreso they think of the bad areas. Case in point: this thread.

BTW, CC is not without its negatives as well. Like other great downtowns, CC is not perfect.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:29 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,813,368 times
Quote:
WTF - Get a clue.....Germantown (Stenton, Chelton, Chew) Olney (Broad Olney, 5th Olney, Rising Sun Av) Frankford are not bad????? who are you kidding...I lived in Philly ok these neighborhood are on the news everynight....

They are only a sampling...would you like me to run down the list.....

Frankford.
Olney
Kensington
North Philly
Germantown
West Oak Lane
Southwest (Woodlawn Ave)
West Philly (52 Market)
South Philly west of Broad - Greys Ferry
Nicetown
Hunting Park
Junita Park
Overbrook (from Malvern toward Morris Park and 69th Street)
Lawncrest
Lawndale
Oxford Circle
Mantua

These are all Significant GHETTO's of Philadelphia....Let be real, you're not talking to someone who only been within Center City, or haven't been to Philadelphia at all...

They don't call it Killadelphia for nothing.
Aren't your from Pittsburgh?
That may explain a lot.

I just came back from Philly and L-O-V-E-D it. I checked out Olney and It's ghetto, but it's not that bad (from what I know)

Murder rates in your city are similar to "Killadelphia"

Old 09-02-2010, 09:31 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,091,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
That may explain a lot.
Ha!!!!! Love it.

He must be bitter because when people think of PA, they think of the Amish and Philadelphia, not the Amish and Pittsburgh.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
That may explain a lot.

I just came back from Philly and L-O-V-E-D it. I checked out Olney and It's ghetto, but it's not that bad (from what I know)

Murder rates in your city are similar to "Killadelphia"
Please let keep this on Philly....Let not bring Pittsburgh into this...Pittsburgh is 100 times safer than Philly and nowhere near Philly's violent crime rates....Pittsburgh does NOT KILL COPS....

OLNEY is not that BAD...Ok you must have a very low standard then.....or smokin something REAL GOOD!

Yes I'm from Pittsburgh, but Lived in Philadelphia, DC and now NYC what's you're point...That I'm not a Philly Homer?

Old 09-02-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
Ha!!!!! Love it.

He must be bitter because when people think of PA, they think of the Amish and Philadelphia, not the Amish and Pittsburgh.
Nice way to stray away from the facts....Dont hate because I speak the truth. which so many of you homers are not willing to do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City