U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 02:58 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,244,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
ATL, I knew from the beginning that Birmingham probably wouldnt measure up to Charlotte, and it be insane to argue otherwise. Its sad and kinda depressing that not all that long ago Bham, ATL and Charlotte were all on the same tier. Oh and BTW Birmingham and Jackson are not on the same tier, if anything Jackson is on the same tier with Montgomery and maybe Shreveport.
This is true, and also probably the main reason I made the same move as many others have traditionally done. One thing I'm impressed to see is how many more people are aware of Birmingham's good points than expected. Birmingham is a great city in a beautiful setting, but leadership isn't the city's strongsuit at all.

I can remember so many different things proposed while living there which were mostly shot down by the locals. For example, Atlanta's air hub was initially offered to Birmingham and what do you think happened? There are many Birminghamian's who like the city just as it is and shy away from change/progression. It's getting better though...I passed through last weekend and saw the Shops at Grand River under construction, so things are moving forward, but not as quickly as some other places.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 04:24 PM

8,189 posts, read 14,104,827 times
I really wish I could read some news articles from back in the day that would give me some insight into the thoughts of Birmingham's leaders concerning their lack of desire to build a world-class airport.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:58 PM

The air hub was one of MANY projects that Birmingham rejected. Nashville and Atlanta never really seemed to experience the same types of issues getting proposals passed through its municipalities as Birmingham. Atlanta is more like Vegas (a firm respect for it's history, but much more concerned about the future) where Birmingham admittedly has had way too many backwards thinking leaders calling the shots in terms of progression.

Marika Williams, (a close friend) sits on the Alabama House of Representatives, and we would talk about the same types of things. She handles a district in Hueytown (west of Birmingham) and I would express the same concerns with her when I lived there. She would always telll me "you're only as strong as your backing." If the residents don't want change, where do you go from there? Atlanta was my answer, but I still love Birmingham. It's certainly underrated but it's also making progress.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:21 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,724,413 times
People of Birmingham for some odd reason feel like they would give up something if the area did experience some kind of economic/population boom.Its like people want to retain a ''small town'' feel even though there are 1.2 million here in the metro. Its a lack of progress that drives me insane sometime especially when you travel to other cities and see what they are doing.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:31 PM

ATL, I actually live in the Hueytown area myself, and would of moved to Atlanta, but I actually listen to my family for once and didnt, which I kinda regret. My family basically is a prime example of the attitudes of most in this area. They are content with the way things are, and complain about the little change that does happen here. People actually fear becoming another Atlanta, and for the life of me cant understand why.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:08 PM

^^ **Continues to play along**
Question, why haven't you just left Hueytown and moved closer to everything? That would be like moving to another city altogether? What do you like most about Hueytown that keeps you there?

Old 08-17-2010, 08:41 PM

Its the burbs..lol. But seriously this is where I grew up and most of my family and friends are in the surrounding burbs on Bham's westside. I'll eventually leave, but I figure its only fair to at least give it and bham a chance to see what happens. Im only 29, so I can always move on to bigger and better things while im young.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:14 PM

^^**Final response for meer hijinks at this point**
You should've attended some sort of troll boot camp before creating that profile or this thread buddy. Good night!

Old 08-17-2010, 09:34 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,470 posts, read 14,207,327 times
Intresting stats between some of the cities mentioned.... 2010 1st quarter building permits...

1. Charlotte 1,435
2. Raleigh 1,398
3. Nashville 1,187
4. Jacksonville 1,044
5. Columbia 789
6. Richmond 626
7. Augusta 622
8. Huntsville 573
9. Little Rock 466
10. Birmingham 465
11. Greenville 443
12. Greensboro 402
13. Jackson 351
14. Mobile 288
15. Chattanooga 220

Birmingham, AL Market Hotness,Job Growth,Density Information,Population,Residential Permits,Total Market Hotness Trend, etc - Local Market and Housing Data for Builders - Builder Magazine

Old 08-18-2010, 06:50 AM

Well ATL no one asked you to post on this thread in the first place. It seems like your move (if true) hasnt done much for your maturity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City