Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 08:35 AM

1,672 posts, read 2,878,757 times

Advertisements

Jobs
Housing
Arts & Culture
Sports
Nightlife
Diversity
Education (K-12, and higher ed)
Transportation infrastructure
Retail
Cost of Living
Taxes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 08:48 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Jobs: Charlotte (even though it probably has a higher unemployment rate than Birmingham right now)

Housing: Tie

Arts & Culture: Not sure

Sports: Charlotte

Nightlife: Charlotte

Diversity: Charlotte

Education (K-12, and higher ed): Birmingham (UAB)

Transportation infrastructure: Charlotte by far

Retail: Charlotte

Cost of Living: Wouldn't be surprised if Birmingham's is just a bit lower

Taxes: Probably Birmingham

Old 08-14-2010, 11:14 AM

2,399 posts, read 4,217,839 times
Jobs--Charlotte
Housing--Birmingham (slightly more affordable. Lots of nice areas)
Arts & Culture--Birmingham
Sports--Charlotte
Nightlife--Charlotte
Diversity--Who cares
Education (K-12, and higher ed)--Birmingham (metro)
Transportation infrastructure--Charlotte
Retail--Charlotte
Cost of Living -Birmingham
Taxes- Birmingham

Old 08-14-2010, 04:46 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,751,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Jobs--Charlotte
Housing--Birmingham (slightly more affordable. Lots of nice areas)
Arts & Culture--Birmingham
Sports--Charlotte
Nightlife--Charlotte
Diversity--Who cares
Education (K-12, and higher ed)--Birmingham (metro)
Transportation infrastructure--Charlotte
Retail--Charlotte
Cost of Living -Birmingham
Taxes- Birmingham
Arts & Culture Birmingham????? I'd have to disagree with this one. They don't have much that can compete with Charlotte's new cultural campus, or Charlotte's theaters. You could even add in Charlotte attractions like the NASCAR Hall of Fame and the Billy Graham Library which I would put above what they have, which the last time I was there, was not much beyond the Civil Rights Museum. In general, I'd put Charlotte's arts scene well above theirs, from facilities, performances, etc.

Old 08-14-2010, 05:03 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,808,422 times
Birmingham is certainly underrated by many Americans and often written off as a noncompetitor, but it does have some very good merits. That being said, I would choose Charlotte every time over Birmingham simply because it is a growing and dynamic city...where Birmingham is sort of the opposite. I would love to see the Ham turn things around, and there are signs that this is happening; however, it isn't really good competition for Charlotte at this point in time.

Old 08-14-2010, 05:21 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,619,119 times
Jobs: Charlotte
Housing: Birmingham
Arts & Culture: Birmingham
Sports: Charlotte
Nightlife: Charlotte
Diversity: Charlotte
Education (K-12, and higher ed): Charlotte
Transportation infrastructure: Charlotte
Retail: Charlotte
Cost of Living: Birmingham
Taxes: Birmingham

I love Birmingham and I think it's very underrated as well but it simply can't compete with Charlotte.

Better comparisons for Birmingham would be Little Rock, Columbia, and Jackson

Old 08-14-2010, 05:40 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Better comparisons for Birmingham would be Little Rock, Columbia, and Jackson
Birmingham's a bit larger than those cities and generally offers just a little more. I think cities like Jacksonville, Richmond, and Louisville would be better comparisons.

Old 08-14-2010, 05:48 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,619,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Birmingham's a bit larger than those cities and generally offers just a little more. I think cities like Jacksonville, Richmond, and Louisville would be better comparisons.

Those are great comparisons also esp. Richmond and Jacksonville.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:11 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,878,757 times
Birmingham in the same league as Jackson, Columbia, and Little Rock??? LMAO!!. You must be kidding. I knew Birmingham was behind Charlotte in many aspects when I created this thread, but I dont think the gap is as wide as many on here think. A major difference is leadership and people's attitudes in both cities. Charlotte is more pro growth, while Birmingham is trying to remain stagnant for some insane reason.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:13 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,873,223 times
I lived in Vestavia Hills when I was in my early 20s. I really like the burbs in Bham and the layout of downtown, with UAB and all. Five Points was a great area for the weekends, and the Late Night Cafe (if still there) trumps anything in downtown Charlotte. Little 24 hr cafe run by an Italian family, lots of character. The Bham Zoo was nice to have in town, and Sloss Furnace added to the historic feel of the Ham. Otherwise, Charlotte wins this comparison on the other criteria, other than taxes and cost of living. A couple art venues, but nothing like what Charlotte has developed in just the few years I have been here. The CLT area has waaaay more shopping and restaurant choices. More big business, tons of private schools, pro sports, etc.

Oh, and Birmingham is miles ahead of places like Jackson, MS for sure. Jackson is more like Montgomery or Columbus, GA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City