Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 09:27 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times

Advertisements

Which city has the stronger underworld, corrupt, Gotham City-like feel to it: Chicago or Philadelphia?

The cities are similar in many ways. Both are strong union towns and their politics are dominated by a Democratic machine. Both have storied histories of organized crime from Al Capone and Sam Giancana in Chicago to Angelo Bruno and Nicodemo Scarfo in Philadelphia. The two cities have also had "bosses" in Chicago's Richard Daley (J & M) and Philadelphia's Frank Rizzo. Both cities have also had public officials indicted, convicted, or under federal investigation. Finally, both cities seem to have a crookedness that percolates up from the neighborhood level and goes all the way to city hall. Philadelphia politics is well-known for "street money" and I am sure that something similar exists in Chicago.

So two tough towns going head to head...what do you think?

Chicago Outfit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Philadelphia crime family - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Why is Chicago so corrupt? - By Daniel Engber - Slate Magazine (http://www.slate.com/id/2206364 - broken link)

History of Philly Crime | Philly | 01/30/2009 (http://www.philly.com/philly/news/year-in-review/history_philadelphia_crime.html - broken link)

YouTube - Chicago Outfit

YouTube - Mob Scene: "Tony Bananas"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 09:48 AM

14 posts, read 28,371 times
I think Chicago has a "darker" history because of it's well known mafia influence and underworld dominance in the 20's, but Philadelphia looks darker in general.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:28 AM

3,717 posts, read 8,180,886 times
Chi-Town.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:30 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,859,218 times
I've never really heard of Philly's "underworld" scene. I automatically think Chicago with this sort of thing.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I've never really heard of Philly's "underworld" scene. I automatically think Chicago with this sort of thing.
Chicago is well-known for its mafia and its political corruption. But I'm not sure that it has more of an underworld character than Philadelphia. Chicago, I think, has a reputation as a legitimate and respectable international business city. In Philly, it seems that everyone has a little grime underneath their nails. It's still a city of bookies, loan sharks and front businesses. Members of one of the city's largest syndicates pose as Muslims and conduct illicit activities out of mosques. Former Mayor John Street (who would vote for a guy with the last name "Street" anyway?) had connections to a high-ranking cleric in the Muslim mafia, and this led to an FBI raid of his office. And the Sicilian mob wars just ended in the early 2000s after the conviction of Joseph "Skinny Joey" Merlino. Aside from Al Capone, the Philadelphia crime family has been much more violent than the Chicago Outfit.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:23 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,191,907 times
I say Chicago history of organized crime is more darker than Philly.

Chicago's organize crime history is more than just Al Capone and other Italian gangsters. Notorious black gangsters such as Larry Hoover(founder of the Gangster Disciples) was arguably more powerful than Al Capone. The GDs at one time is said to have made $100 million per year off of drug trafficking. If it was a Fortune 500 company, it would've been in the top 10.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:39 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,498,822 times
Yeah have to go with Chicago...

not just Chicago Mafia ties to Cosa Nostra
but...
Latin Kings
Vice Lords
Gangster Disciples

all originated in Chicago..all are major major gangs...

when I think of current "underworlds" I think of Chicago and LA, not philly. When I think of past underworlds I think Chicago/NYC

Los Angeles is considered the Gang capital of America, with an estimated 120,000 gang members[24] although Chicago actually has a higher rate of gang membership per capita than Los Angeles. Also, the state of Illinois has a higher rate of gang membership (8-11 gang members per 1,000 population) than California (5-7 gang members per 1,000 population)

Old 08-16-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Yeah have to go with Chicago...

not just Chicago Mafia ties to Cosa Nostra
but...
Latin Kings
Vice Lords
Gangster Disciples

all originated in Chicago..all are major major gangs...

when I think of current "underworlds" I think of Chicago and LA, not philly. When I think of past underworlds I think Chicago/NYC

Los Angeles is considered the Gang capital of America, with an estimated 120,000 gang members[24] although Chicago actually has a higher rate of gang membership per capita than Los Angeles. Also, the state of Illinois has a higher rate of gang membership (8-11 gang members per 1,000 population) than California (5-7 gang members per 1,000 population)
By "underworld," I just don't mean gang membership and violence. When I think of Los Angeles, I think of gangs and violence, but not a city of brazen corruption. It's pretty clear what side of the line Vice Lords and Latin Kings are on. In Philly, however, the line between legitimate and illegitimate enterprise is a blurry one. Gangs aren't big in Philly, but it seems that everyone has a little dirt under their nails. That might mean you're enforcer, an illegal bountyhunter, or a cop on the take who turns a blind eye to the questionable activities of a barbershop that's only open two days a week.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:52 AM

74 posts, read 233,053 times
I really dont think Bajan knows anything about Chicago, despite how much he talks about it. SMH at organized crime violence ending with Al Capone, this is a joke. He picks Philly over Chicago in any discussion. He acts like the Chicago Mafia wasn't running Los Angeles, Kansas City, Las Vegas, Milwaukee, Iowa, etc. As if the Chicago Mafia isnt one of the top 3 most powerful mafias along the Gambino's and Genovese. As if the Chicago Mafia isnt more powerful than Philly's, which everyone knows except Bajan. Oh, and by the way, the Latin Kings in Philly answers to Latin Kings in Chicago. They are a KMC branch, King Motherland Chapter aka Chicago Almighty Latin King sanctioned and overseen. Ask about King Homicide, and how Chicago Kings go down to Philly to overseer their operation.

And quit comparing Vice Lords to LA gangs, it's a known fact that Chicago gangs are 30x more organized than any crap Los Angeles gang. Vice Lords or not on the same line, Vice Lords have rank and structure. You have to answer to Elites and superiors, and they have connections in the hoods own businesses, own aldermans, own crooked cops. A Vice Lord supreme elite or any high ranking member is involved in more shyt than the average Blood or Crip dreams of. Some of the local business in the hoods here in Chicago are actually owned by Lords, GD's, BD's, and Stones. Club E2 which was famous for having that stampede, for example was ran by some Vice Lords with clout. These cats are not some regular ass gang members just standing on a corner 24/7. They make alot happen in Chicago. And Mickey Cogwell had mob connects back in the day. Chief Malik and Larry Hoover were black organized crime too. These dudes literally ran some of these neighborhoods. Chief Malik was so strong, that even the Black Panthers were scared of him back in the day. Chief Malik even had a Moorish temple built on the Eastside called the "Fort". Larry Hoover had 21st Century Vote in the 90's where GD's were going around campaigning to put other Gangster Disciples in elected offices in Chicago. One hit from Hoover or Malik got ANYONE killed. Larry Hoover and Chief Malik were so strong when they were in jail here in Illinois, that they had to be moved to Florence Super Max Colorado where they are now under 23 hours of lockdown with absolutely no access to the outside world except one hour of recreation. This is the same prison that your favorite mob bosses are in. And you comparing this to Bloods and Crips?

Last edited by Chicago'sFinest; 12-23-2010 at 09:11 AM..

Old 12-23-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago'sFinest View Post
I really dont think Bajan knows anything about Chicago, despite how much he talks about it. SMH at organized crime violence ending with Al Capone, this is a joke. He picks Philly over Chicago in any discussion. He acts like the Chicago Mafia wasn't running Los Angeles, Kansas City, Las Vegas, Milwaukee, Iowa, etc. As if the Chicago Mafia isnt one of the top 3 most powerful mafias along the Gambino's and Genovese. As if the Chicago Mafia isnt more powerful than Philly's, which everyone knows except Bajan. Oh, and by the way, the Latin Kings in Philly answers to Latin Kings in Chicago. They are a KMC branch, King Motherland Chapter aka Chicago Almighty Latin King sanctioned and overseen. Ask about King Homicide, and how Chicago Kings go down to Philly to overseer their operation.
Wow. Are you Chicago Southsider's sockpuppet or alter ego? For some reason, a few Chicago people in this forum have been taking repeated shots at Philadelphians for no reason at all.

I didn't name this thread "Which City Has the Most Powerful Mafia?" I asked which city feels seedier, shadier, and had a more underworld type feel to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City